Ike White doc on BBC on Mon night

Do talk back
Sam Stone

Ike White doc on BBC on Mon night

Postby Sam Stone » 16 May 2020, 12:21

Never heard of him before, but the write up sounds intriguing. Any fans here?

The Changin' Times of Ike White - Arena

Documentary in which Daniel Vernon tries to track down Ike White, a musical prodigy who was serving life in prison for murder when he was given the opportunity to record an album. The resulting record Changin' Times came out in 1976 and following his release from prison, Whiteseemed to be on the path to redemption, but just as he was charting a course to stardom, he disappeared

Pool Hall Richard

Re: Ike White doc on BBC on Mon night

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 May 2020, 09:41

Cheers, just had a check, hell of a back story and the album sounds good, i need to try and obtain/download. Will be watching.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 17 May 2020, 15:44

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Cheers, just had a check, hell of a back story and the album sounds good, i need to try and obtain/download. Will be watching.

bit concerned about the Celtic FC profile picture of the youtube poster :o
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 May 2020, 22:19

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Cheers, just had a check, hell of a back story and the album sounds good, i need to try and obtain/download. Will be watching.

Why does that concern you?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 18 May 2020, 20:58

My Brother........ wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:

Why does that concern you?

Good Evening James.
I'm a Hibs season ticket holder so I'm not keen on Buy The League FC or their blue chums We Cannae Afford To Buy The League Now FC.

As if i give a fuck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 May 2020, 00:04

Evening Mr Shades
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 19 May 2020, 00:06

Just watched the documentary.
About 10 minutes in and the album producer Jerry Goldstein mentioned that Ike White seduced his 19 year old assistant. To his ability to easily seduce gullible women add 14 years in prison, his drug issues and musical talent and the whole story after that unfolds in an entirely predictable manner. He appears to have made no more serious music after the initial prison recorded album and after his release his story is one of cabaret and destructive relationships. Only thing that wasn't predictable was .............
Last edited by 50 Shades Of Blue on 19 May 2020, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

As if i give a fuck

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 19 May 2020, 11:12

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Only thing that wasn't predictable was the timing of his suicide.

Well it sort of is now.

Might be an idea to put a spoiler over that bit for those who know next to nothing about IW and may have recorded the film to watch later.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 19 May 2020, 11:20

Sorry Sam
Last edited by 50 Shades Of Blue on 19 May 2020, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

As if i give a fuck

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 19 May 2020, 11:41

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:

Well it sort of is now.

Might be an idea to put a spoiler over that bit for those who know next to nothing about IW and may have recorded the film to watch later.

Sorry Richard
Last edited by 50 Shades Of Blue on 19 May 2020, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

As if i give a fuck

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 19 May 2020, 11:41

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:

Well it sort of is now.

Amended.
Thought you guys were watching it last night.
Most folk that post regularly on BCB seem more interested in prog than soul as can be seen from the scant response to the recent passing of Betty Wright and the comparatively large number of posts on any prog thread, so didn't think anyone else would have seen my post.
For anyone that missed it and wants to watch, it is being repeated on BBC4 at 0030hrs on Wednesday i.e. Tonight. It is also on the BBC iplayer.

As if i give a fuck

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 19 May 2020, 13:03

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
Well it sort of is now.

Amended.
Most folk that post regularly on BCB seem more interested in prog than soul as can be seen from the scant response to the recent passing of Betty Wright and the comparatively large number of posts on any prog thread, so didn't think anyone else would have seen my post.
For anyone that missed it and wants to watch, it is being repeated on BBC4 at 0030hrs on Wednesday i.e. Tonight. It is also on the BBC iplayer.

No worries, R.

Think a lot of people here are ambivalent about posting RIPs as there seems to be a race to the bottom in terms of posting obscure figures - Alf Birtwistle who played the drums in an early line up of the New Vaudeville Band has passed away at the age of 87).

Publish and be damned says I!

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 19 May 2020, 17:07

Sam Stone wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
50 Shades Of Blue wrote:

Amended.

No worries, R.

Think a lot of people here are ambivalent about posting RIPs as there seems to be a race to the bottom in terms of posting obscure figures - Alf Birtwistle who played the drums in an early line up of the New Vaudeville Band has passed away at the age of 87).

Publish and be damned says I!

You made it up. No one has ever been called Alf Birtwistle in the history of the world :shock:

As if i give a fuck

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 20 May 2020, 12:08

Tad underwhelmed in the end.

While he admittedly only got to make one album, the excerpts they played on the show sounded rather meh to these ears. He also came across as being a real scumbag to the various women in his life - his daughter especially.

Coming soon an Arena doc about Alf Birtwhistle's post New Vaudeville Band's excursion into psychedelia with the Alf Birtwistle Eruption

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 20 May 2020, 12:51

Sam Stone wrote:Tad underwhelmed in the end.

While he admittedly only got to make one album, the excerpts they played on the show sounded rather meh to these ears. He also came across as being a real scumbag to the various women in his life - his daughter especially.

Coming soon an Arena doc about Alf Birtwhistle's post New Vaudeville Band's excursion into psychedelia with the Alf Birtwistle Eruption

Ike White was broken from the start and his kids ended up the real victims.
The women in his life were, lets say very similar, but his kids didn't have the choice of having him as their father and he messed them up and it could be argued cost some of them their lives. As I said in my short review, the dye of drugs and using his gifts to attract and then use people was set very early in the documentary and predictably continued throughout his life.

Not sure how true his self told story of his childhood was given he was a fantasist but suspect the carnage of his life and mental state start there. Add drugs to that and you have a nasty cocktail. The album and the music was the backstory but the real story was a damaged man causing damage to people who shared his life. It showed why all children must be protected and nurtured as it is impossible to put the genie back in the bottle once the damage is done.

P.S. If you keep bangin' on about Alf B you will be sent to live your life with that idiot Jimbo (Coan?) and Googa Mooga. Your choice!

As if i give a fuck

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 20 May 2020, 14:28

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:Tad underwhelmed in the end.

Ike White was broken from the start and his kids ended up the real victims.
The women in his life were, lets say very similar, but his kids didn't have the choice of having him as their father and he messed them up and it could be argued cost some of them their lives. As I said in my short review, the dye of drugs and using his gifts to attract and then use people was set very early in the documentary and predictably continued throughout his life.

Not sure how true his self told story of his childhood was given he was a fantasist but suspect the carnage of his life and mental state start there. Add drugs to that and you have a nasty cocktail. The album and the music was the backstory but the real story was a damaged man causing damage to people who shared his life. It showed why all children must be protected and nurtured as it is impossible to put the genie back in the bottle once the damage is done.

P.S. If you keep bangin' on about Alf B you will be sent to live your life with that idiot Jimbo (Coan?) and Googa Mooga. Your choice!

Hobsons' Choice! An under-rated band whose most famous member (a future superstar sideman) young Carlsson will shortly be along to tell us)

Never thought that Coan might be Jimbo. If he is, he either deserves some kind of performance artist's award or permanent sectioning