60%
Wilson Pickett
40%

Total votes: 5

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Hey Jude - Beatles vs Wilson Pickett

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 May 2020, 12:09

There can't be that many covers of the epic "Hey Jude", but one that stands out and instantly springs to mind is the cover by Wicked Pickett. He even had a whole album out called Hey Jude. Personally, I think it is superior to Beatles' original in every way, vocals, instrumentally, the arrangement - just grittier, more soulful, more exciting, and with a coda that is shorter and packs more punch. For instance, the na na chorus only comes in at the very, very end and fades on the first repeat...

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Re: Hey Jude - Beatles vs Wilson Pickett

Postby Flower » 15 May 2020, 12:42

Wilson Pickett's cover is wonderful. I prefer it to the Beatles.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 15 May 2020, 13:58

It's fine. But it's not the Beatles.
Bugger off.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 15 May 2020, 14:30

I like everything about Wilson Pickett's record. It has the perfect Muscle Shoals production, and there is the added novelty of it being from Duane Allman's time there as a session guy. But hearing someone rip through a Beatles tune in a different context isn't inherently exciting to me. "Hey Jude" is certainly iconic, but isn't among my very favorite Beatles records. Still, if I have to choose, I'll take the original. Wilson Pickett has plenty of other wonderful records to celebrate.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 May 2020, 16:15

Rorschach wrote:It's fine. But it's not the Beatles.

What Rorschach said is the correct answer.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 15 May 2020, 16:28

Another version that stands out is by the Grateful Dead.
It has Pigpen on ‘vocals’.
There is a certain horrific inevitability to the fact that no matter how ‘unique’ their interpretation of the main section is, the ‘Na na na ...’ bit is waiting, quitely ... biding its time ... :?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 15 May 2020, 16:31

While WP's version is indeed marvellous, what can compare to the sheer magic of hearing the first bars of what was then The Beatles' latest single coming through tiny transistor speakers before building up to a wonderful, wonderful chorus that you never wanted to end.

If it wasn't the longest single ever released at that point, it was certainly the longest to ever get played on the radio in its entirety as a matter of course.