10 albums in 10 days - Day 2

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: 10 albums in 10 days - Day 2

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 May 2020, 01:02

Oscar wrote:From today...

Day 9, I think. I can't even remember the name of the bloke who nominated me or what the rules are but I've got 2 choices left and about 25 albums lined up so this is getting fractious. Anyways, I’ve chosen a record that I describe as "The Album That Ate Me". Victorialand by The Cocteau Twins. I was already fascinated by the band, the dream-state soundscapes, the beguiling alien lyrics and Liz Fraser’s enchanting other-worldly vocal. I bought the album on impulse not having read any reviews and when I first played the album, I made an unnerving error. The album’s playing speed was unconventionally set at 45 rpm and I automatically played it at 33 rpm. Once I’d worked this out, I relaxed and listened to the album. It was much more ethereal than the other work I’d heard without the distinct bass sound of Simon Raymonde who was absent from the album. Percussion was sparse and without this handrail the music just floated. It’s a magical, exquisite and slightly unsettling sound and it seeped into the deeper, primal corridors of my mind and slowly… consumed me.

Yes! This was my fist choice.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 May 2020, 01:12

I wish I was a little less tired and had the energy to write little more - I'd love to be able to describe this album in a way that does it justice.
I love all the Numan/TA up to this point, but I think that this was the album that reminded me that I'm a sucker for strings (or at least string like synths.) Tracks like "Aircrash Bureau" are as beautiful as anything ever written, frankly - and can tip me over into a full on weep.

I was 10 when this came out. I remember bringing it home on the bus in my HMV bag -taking it out, looking at it, putting it back in. It seemed like a WILDLY FUTURISTIC cover which is quite funny when you look at it now. My mum and brother were out when I got in, and I had the front room and stereo to myself. What an afternoon that was.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 22 May 2020, 23:44

Mike Boom wrote:
robertff wrote:Is there going to be a Day 3?

I'll make one, Im sure Beebsy won't mind

I'm really glad you did. I'll catch up now.
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Return to “Yakety Yak”