10 albums in 10 days - Day 2

Do talk back
Beebsy

10 albums in 10 days - Day 2

Postby Beebsy » 24 Apr 2020, 15:41

So I thought I would do this this way and see cos at least all our ramblings are kept together and we won't flood the page with individual threads that leads to me being banned from the page or at the very least, scolded severely. :D

BTW, I remember how much I HATE trying to post images here. Anyway...

Well, this was always going to be here for me, wasn't it? I'd hate to disappoint anyone by not sticking to form. But as for influencing my musical tastes, this is it. The transition was made from ABBA to ska and to Madness and I went for it with the compulsion and obsession of a teenager. A love beyond passion and bordering on... well, madness to be honest.

And once I matured enough to start digging into their influences I found a whole world of music that filled my heart with joy and happiness and beats. So it influenced and changed my life because I found my musical "gang" and so the scene was set for my transformative teenage years and my life to come.
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Jumper K

Re: 10 albums in 10 days - Day 2

Postby Jumper K » 24 Apr 2020, 16:52

Hell yeah! What a blast! Self-defined by the very wonderful vocalist Mr Eric Davidson as Gunk Punk. Its a garage rock riot from start to finish. The Turks made me pick up a guitar again after 20 odd years, I still have absolutely no talent but can bash out a few chords approximating Jukebox Lean, available on this album listeners. Unlike me, its great.

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 Apr 2020, 16:53

Day 2

The third album I ever bought.

I never bought singles but a friend was selling the My Generation single second hand and, as I liked what I had heard, I bought it and when the album was released of course I had to buy that.

Loved the Who right from the start, the whole thing - the sound, the look, the smashing, all those first few singles and then of course there was Keith, absolutely brilliant and for a 14 year old at boarding school, just so exciting. And what a cover for the album, the Union Jack jacket, the surly uncompromising look upwards amongst a group of barrels and the stencilled blue and red lettering - an absolutely classic cover design - the American one paled by comparison. The Who simply generated so much excitement to a young lad who didn't want to be at boarding school. At that point in my life music became the most important thing to me and because I was a boarder during the mid to late 60s I rarely had enough money, or the opportunity, to buy any records, so the ones I bought and the groups have stayed with me throughout my life.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 24 Apr 2020, 16:59

Day 2 - Thick as a Brick

There must have been something in the water in 1972, while thinking about what to include in this list of 10 most influential records I find at least 3 of them are from that year.

Had already heard Aqualung but when my brother brought this home, with its bizarre newspaper cover and its “one long song” concept it was obvious this was a different beast altogether. I was never entirely sure who this strange boy wonder Gerald Bostock was who wrote this amazing poem and if it really was a joke or not?

Still lyrically the accomplished thing I’ve ever heard in a rock n roll "song" - in creating a spoof epic poem Anderson has in fact written an epic poem. I can’t think of any lyrics in a rock song that come anywhere close to this - and thats even before you even start considering the amazing music that winds thru the various acoustic and electric passages and themes with such skill and wonderful playing from the band, all wrapped up in that marvelous Pythonesque cover. Genius.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Apr 2020, 21:44

Something of a leap from Buddy Holly, but keeping it in the rock tradition for now. I remember being 14 and listening to John Peel, hoping he'd play a blast of Napalm Death or Bolt Thrower. I was still listening to perhaps some of the lighter stuff at this time, Metallica, Rage, possibly Candlemass, but I was edging towards the extreme all the time. I still dig this stuff out from time to time, "World Eater" in particular has the most hummable melody in the history of death metal.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 24 Apr 2020, 21:54

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 24 Apr 2020, 22:13

My first two musical loves were the Beatles and Blues. Yesterday I posted a cheap Blues comp that turned me on, today the one that really altered my life. I assume I got it in '73. No need to describe the music, the effect on me was galvanizing. How did my life alter? Liverpool University had the first two places on my UCAS form, I was determined to go there (Marine Biology & Biology, I did the latter). Living in Liverpool cemented my love for Liverpool, and its football club - I was privileged to stand on the Kop and watch league and European winners at a most reasonable price. Became a member of Eric's and saw many wonderful bands. Played in a new wave band, all of the other members of which were art students at the polytechnic, which had been art school where Lennon went. We were dreadful I'm sure, but it was fun. Still a huge Liverpool fan, still hugely into music and living in Liverpool opened my mind to many things and gave me many formative experiences.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 25 Apr 2020, 02:10

These are great! So evocative
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Apr 2020, 03:46

I was originally going to stick with early early childhood for a while, but I decided to jump ahead to age 5 (1971 or late '70). I can always jump back if I wanna.

I'm not sure if my dad bought this or if one of my older brothers got it for him for Christmas or his birthday. I do know that it soon disappeared into my bedroom and seldom if ever made it out again.

This wasn't literally the first classical record I heard, but it was the first one I wanted to hear again. And it wasn't technically the first Moog synthesizer I ever heard - The Monkees had used one on a few cuts! - but it was the first one I'd seen on an album cover, and the first one I'd heard employed for much more than random noisemaking.

So this album broadened my horizons by turning me on to Bach (within months I'd moved on to Beethoven, and from there...), and it started a long fascination with analog synthesizers (which I confess waned a bit 'long about the '80s).

At some point I decided this was kinda cheesy, but now I'm back to thinking it's really pretty wonderful. I suspect Johann Sebastian would have gotten a kick out of it too.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 25 Apr 2020, 10:46

From today...

Day 9, I think. I can't even remember the name of the bloke who nominated me or what the rules are but I've got 2 choices left and about 25 albums lined up so this is getting fractious. Anyways, I’ve chosen a record that I describe as "The Album That Ate Me". Victorialand by The Cocteau Twins. I was already fascinated by the band, the dream-state soundscapes, the beguiling alien lyrics and Liz Fraser’s enchanting other-worldly vocal. I bought the album on impulse not having read any reviews and when I first played the album, I made an unnerving error. The album’s playing speed was unconventionally set at 45 rpm and I automatically played it at 33 rpm. Once I’d worked this out, I relaxed and listened to the album. It was much more ethereal than the other work I’d heard without the distinct bass sound of Simon Raymonde who was absent from the album. Percussion was sparse and without this handrail the music just floated. It’s a magical, exquisite and slightly unsettling sound and it seeped into the deeper, primal corridors of my mind and slowly… consumed me.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 25 Apr 2020, 11:10

From t'other day...

Michael Lee said… well what he said and what I did are two separate things, so get out ma face! Day 8 of the albums that changed the fucking world.

The story is well-documented. Barnsley College Of Art 1980, I swapped my white vinyl copy of Joe Jackson’s Get Sharp for The Songs Of Leonard Cohen and a 12" limited edition picture disc of Fear of the Dark by the Gordon Giltrap Band with the proto-legend, Trev Oughton. I was suspicious of the swap as Trev was a Cohen obsessive and had been suspected of Writing “COHEN IS GOD” in large lettering on the wall of Wombwell Park. But with hindsight it just seems he was spreading the good word to his disciples. (Just to say, the Giltrap disc got maybe 2 plays (ever!) and was then retired to the back of my LP box with the other rubbish.)

The Songs Of Leonard Cohen was an immediate hit. I was mesmerised by the lyrics which had an impossible beauty. I’d never been this deep or this dark before and the words would just continually take my breath and leave me stunned. He transcended song-writing to something you felt should be displayed in a great art gallery. The voice held wisdom and maturity and a hint of pain which was complimented by the classic sound of Spanish guitar. Cohen became my benchmark for quality. “Dylan? He’s a good lyricist but he’s certainly no Cohen.”

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 Apr 2020, 21:47

After reading something about The Stranglers and how Dave's swelling organ was very 'Doorsy' I borrowed this from the local library.
I can't recall hearing anything by them before listening to this but I became obsessed with them after this.
I remember buying 'Absolutely Live' the next time I went to 'Listen Ear' in Newcastle (along with a Penetration official bootleg 'Race Against Time', I had been saving up for quite a while).

I had my first experience of 'taking an LP back for a swap' as Absolutely Live was warped like the brim of a comedy cowboys hat.
The bloke in the shop tried to fob me off, I was only 15, but another customer called him out for being a prick and he exchanged it.

The Doors back catalogue got collected and played to death at an alarming rate and it's still going on.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 25 Apr 2020, 23:05

ImageImage

Here's what I put on FB:
My cousin Jonathan is four years older than me and when I was probably 9 or maybe 10? was looking out for my best interests when he made me a tape with Led Zeppelin I on one side and Led Zeppelin IV on the other. Before that, I was an avid listener of whatever was on the radio. Sadly, the American pop charts of the early to mid 80s reflected what I think we can all agree was the first of several low points for quality in pop music.

I don't know if I would go so far to say that Led Zeppelin saved my life, but they certainly changed it. From the opening blast of "Good Times, Bad Times," I was blown away . . . like the guy sitting in the chair in the old Maxell ads. And then there was the rest of it . . . just relentlessly amazing (and, to a kid, interesting) music. And, of course, there are all the cool nooks and crannies between the rocking belters. It seemed totally different from everything else (even the hard rock they were playing on KISS or KZEP or whatever) and so much better than everything else. I wore that tape out, and there is so much "there" there that it sustained me for years. I think I remember being at a San Antonio school for academic UIL competitions when I was in middle school (if that's possible) and spending a whole day meditating on the weird, foreign, and enticing world of LZ.

I'm pretty sure that tape changed the way I look at the world and focused my spare thoughts on records. I still love pretty much everything LZ (apart from a few moments on II) through Houses of the Holy. And I still play IV, perhaps the most beleaguered dinosaur in classic rock, and find new things to like, even in "Stairway to Heaven." It's a debt I'll never be able to repay Jonathan. Thanks, man!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Apr 2020, 15:27

For Rorschach

Give a shit or be a shit.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Apr 2020, 19:28

Tom Waits For No One wrote:For Rorschach

Ha ha! Thank you! I was coming here to post Taking Tiger Mountain, but seeing that you've been so kind and this has been the biggest album in my life...

I knew very little about popular music when I was 16/17 so I was trying to catch up with the 'hip' kids by borrowing their LPs and recording them. One very popular one at the time was the Pink Floyd twofer, A Nice Pair: this and Saucerful of secrets.
It had a pair of bare breasts on the cover as well so that was very appealing to a repressed Catholic schoolboy.

Anyway, I became obsessed with this album and all things Syd. Still am really. It was through attempting to emulate the spirit of the madcap I started spelling my name funny.
My mother never forgave me for that.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Apr 2020, 16:47

Is there going to be a Day 3?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 27 Apr 2020, 21:59

robertff wrote:Is there going to be a Day 3?

I'll make one, Im sure Beebsy won't mind

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 29 Apr 2020, 01:17

at age 6, living in NJ with some of moms roots in the Catskills, Woodstock was a big deal and it sucked us all in. My two brother 7 and 5 years old were in on all the bands. CSN &Y, The Who , Jefferson Airplane, Santana, eventually the dead all big in my roots.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Apr 2020, 09:21

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Something of a leap from Buddy Holly, but keeping it in the rock tradition for now. I remember being 14 and listening to John Peel, hoping he'd play a blast of Napalm Death or Bolt Thrower. I was still listening to perhaps some of the lighter stuff at this time, Metallica, Rage, possibly Candlemass, but I was edging towards the extreme all the time. I still dig this stuff out from time to time, "World Eater" in particular has the most hummable melody in the history of death metal.

From Buddy Holly to Bolt Thrower, you're nothing if not unpredictable :lol:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Apr 2020, 16:04

trans-chigley express wrote:From Buddy Holly to Bolt Thrower, you're nothing if not unpredictable :lol:

It's a natural progression, I know it's what Buddy would've been doing next if he hadn't died young. :D
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.