What was your last pre-Covid gig and when do you think you'll see another?

Do talk back
Sam Stone

What was your last pre-Covid gig and when do you think you'll see another?

Postby Sam Stone » 19 Apr 2020, 10:49

Last two gigs I saw were The Felice Brothers and Sturgill Simpson - both pretty disappointing.

While have got tickets for as yet uncancelled shows from June onwards, don't think any of us will be going to any shows this side of Spring 2021 - assuming social distancing rules are relaxed*

* and, of course, that we live that long...

Nuts

Re: What was your last pre-Covid gig and when do you think you'll see another?

Postby Nuts » 19 Apr 2020, 11:33

Last concert I went to was Elvis Costello at Hammersmith Odeon/Apollo and then the next night played one with my own band (The Past Tense) supporting The Fallen Leaves. Should have been seeing Steve Ignorant performing Crass songs in Brighton yesterday and the next major gig booked is Faith No More at Brixton Academy in middle of June - who knows?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 Apr 2020, 11:39

Sort of a gig but not really. Last one I saw was Jasper Carrott with the Bev Bevan Band at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury. Jasper did his routine then went off to be replaced by the BB band - interval - followed by the same thing in the second half with Jasper joining in with the band towards the end of their set. Really enjoyable evening, would certainly recommend it.

Last music related thing was 'We Will Rock You' the Queen thing, again at the Marlowe. Didn't enjoy it much, far too loud and I've seen some of the loudest bands but this was unpleasantly too loud, too many vocal gymnastics instead of just singing the songs - Freddie didn't need to do that, and a sixth former's story line, lower sixth at that.

And for the second part of your question God knows and he/she/it very probably does.

Last edited by robertff on 19 Apr 2020, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 Apr 2020, 12:53

I don't often go to 'proper gigs. The night before lockdown started in Spain I was due to go to a friend's gig but it got cancelled and the band came round to our house for tea.

My wife and I have tickets for Paul McCartney in June but I doubt that'll happen.
Bugger off.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 19 Apr 2020, 13:20

Squeeze, 1986. Hoping to see Neil Young 2050

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 19 Apr 2020, 14:01

slightbreeze wrote:

Neil Young 2050

Yeah, the Archives II tour. Looking forward to that...

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Apr 2020, 14:37

Pete Wylie in Leeds.

As of the next gig? goodness knows. Got tickets for John Bramwell in Halifax and Heaven 17 doing the first 2 Human League albums at Sheffield Town Hall.

There's talk that gigs as we know the won't get going agin until the Autumn of 2021.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Apr 2020, 14:43

I’m missing doing gig reviews and I’ll want to get back to it again as soon as possible but I think even the gigs that have been rescheduled for the autumn are looking unlikely.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Apr 2020, 04:26

Last few
Umphrey's McGee(2) shows got ill and threw up for two days after these shows wonder if it had anything to do with Covid?
Cold War Kids
My last show was
Bat for Lashes - great solo show at Town Hall in NYC.

Following was shows I've had tickets for and current status
Umphrey's McGee (postponed)
Tori Amos (canceled money back)
Peach festival (??)
Big Big Train (postponed)
The Decemberists(??)
Sharon Van Etten (??)
Kraftwerk (??)
Sea Hear Now-day one (??)
Sea Hear Now-Pearl Jam(?)

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 20 Apr 2020, 10:29

Hightea wrote:Last few
Umphrey's McGee(2) shows got ill and threw up for two days after these shows wonder if it had anything to do with Covid?
Cold War Kids
My last show was
Bat for Lashes - great solo show at Town Hall in NYC.

Following was shows I've had tickets for and current status
Umphrey's McGee (postponed)
Tori Amos (canceled money back)
Peach festival (??)
Big Big Train (postponed)
The Decemberists(??)
Sharon Van Etten (??)
Kraftwerk (??)
Sea Hear Now-day one (??)
Sea Hear Now-Pearl Jam(?)

My ones are

March
The Who - optimistically rescheduled to March 2021

April
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - not yet rescheduled - aside from John P, this is probably the one I most wanted to see

May
Tindersticks - optimistically rescheduled to Feb 2021

June
Drive by Truckers - band and venue still seem to think this is going ahead

August
John Prine - the most heartbreaking of all the cancellations thus far

Oct
Black Crowes - no word yet
Grant Lee Philips - no word yet
Sparks - no word yet

Nov
Teenage Fan Club - no word yet

Seems to be some confusion about what Ticketbastard's refund policy is re rescheduled gigs. Also far from 100% sure I am going to be ready to pile into a small sweaty club with 800 other fans until this thing is well and truly over - if, of course, it ever really is.

While acts can presumably generate income by live streaming shows (far from ideal, but I think most of us who love cult acts like Grant Lee Philips would be happy to support them through this) how on earth are venues going to stay afloat if they can't host events?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Apr 2020, 19:57

The Lovin' Spoonful on Feb 29, 2020. One of the best gigs I've ever attended. Plenty of footage on youtube. Three hours if memory serves. Wild Honey does these concerts every year and this was the best one yet.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Apr 2020, 20:03

The last gig I went to was bluesman Laurence Jones at a small venue in Hackney in December. I had Kraftwerk, Taylor Swift and the Oberammergau Passion Play lined up.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Apr 2020, 14:31

I managed to catch Marika Hackman on 5 March - I live close to Kentish Town so managed to sneak out after I'd put the kids to bed. It was alot of fun, their final gig of this tour and they were on good form. The week before I saw Big Thief as well in Hammersmith - great gig but not the right venue for them. Not a gig, but just as the UK was shutting down I managed to scramble over to the Royal Academy to see the Leon Spilliaert exhibition which is mind-blowing - I was alone there, and while I was there the Tate announced it was shutting down, and a few hours later the Royal Academy announced the same. It was a stupid risk perhaps, but i have very fond memories of that day - it was a different world.

In theory I'm supposed to fly to Sweden in June to see Hakan Hellstrom in Gothenburg - these are quite "must-see" gigs that he does there in his home town. Since Sweden actually hasn't shut down a large part of its economy in theory this gig might still go ahead - really hard to say at this stage. Otherwise I have Michael Kiwanuka in November at Ally Pally. Had a couple of gigs that have been rescheduled/cancelled - was supposed to go to All Points East and Pigsx7.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 21 Apr 2020, 22:19

Last two were the same week - Rezillos with Johnny Slider, Griff, Pete The PIck and Nikki Gradual on Saturday 22 February
Four days before, Ut at Café Oto:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... nk-no-wave

Postponed:

Pere Ubu
Van Der Graaf Generator

It was going to be a noisy old year, 2020! :(
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 29 Apr 2020, 16:38

Matt Wilson wrote:The Lovin' Spoonful on Feb 29, 2020. One of the best gigs I've ever attended. Plenty of footage on youtube. Three hours if memory serves. Wild Honey does these concerts every year and this was the best one yet.

Oh man - wish I had known you were there!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Apr 2020, 16:51

Yeah, that would've been great to see you, Todd.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Apr 2020, 06:10

March 7, my most recent show was by Chelsea Williams as a little room (fewer than 50 capacity) in Ojai.
This isn't from that show.

While I like her a lot "solo", I like her even more as a member of a band I really love and have seen several times, https://thesaltysuites.com/

=
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Apr 2020, 12:45

Amyl & The Sniffers, just before the lockdown. I was a bit wary, but seemingly didn't catch anything, and it was a great gig. Had a few gigs that have been postponed, notably Died Pretty.
king of the divan

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 24 Jun 2020, 09:36

Observer article from last Sun says outlook for socially-distanced gigs does not sound promising at all.

The future of music: ‘No one has anything positive to say about physically distanced gigs. At all’
Kitchen-table and drive-in gigs are flourishing, but small venues and many artists will struggle in coming months – and our pop critic is missing something visceral…

Kitty Empire
@kittyempire666
Sun 21 Jun 2020 12.00 BST

Speaking selfishly, I miss volume the most. Tinnitus has been my constant plus-one for such a long time that it’s basically masochism – but it’s true. More than the crush of friends, or the camaraderie of strangers, or the ephemeral communion of act and crowd, I miss the kiss of bass on arm flesh. You just can’t get the full-body sensory workout of a proper backline at home.

Unlike my fellow critics who review theatre, dance or art, my work did not evaporate during lockdown – it pivoted to recorded music and became surreal. Mid-lockdown, I spent weeks obsessively stalking Charli XCX across many online platforms as she prepped her isolation album, How I’m Feeling Now. I tried to keep abreast of all the livestreams and myriad other gig substitutes. I squealed as Jameela Jamil’s arm interrupted a James Blake Q&A to fix his hair. I tuned in too late to see Michelle Obama’s comment on the love-in between Erykah Badu and Jill Scott on Verzuz, notionally a rap battle show on Instagram Live that at its peak had 700,000 viewers.

DIY online performances solved some problems, if not others. People played, mostly acoustically, without glamour, in home studios or kitchens. Fans could comment live, in real time – requests, virtual heckling, fire emojis – as gamers have done for years. But what we, the virtual meeting attendees, all gained in weird, exhilarating intimacy, artists and venues lost in revenue. Shows were mostly free or – rightly – to benefit a charitable cause. Singer-songwriters adapted easily to lockdown aesthetics. Acts with more Sturm und Drang to their presentations fared less well on a phone screen.

Where do we go from here? The view changes depending on the stakeholder. The best way to get money directly to struggling artists remains via sites such as Bandcamp, where albums, live albums, merchandise and ephemera sell direct. “We released a soundtrack album exclusively on Bandcamp for a week raising some money for Help Musicians & NHS charities,” explains Stuart Braithwaite of the Scottish band Mogwai via email. “We’re looking at putting some other music up in the coming months. It’s a great way for getting music out directly.”

But the economic pain is being felt most keenly, perhaps, at the level of bricks and mortar. Shuttered venues up and down the land have held auctions, turned into record labels, crowdfunded and cried out for financial lifelines to see them through closure. A campaign, #saveourvenues, has launched in defence of grassroots music clubs for whom months of inactivity will be a death knell. You can bet they will get turned into flats if they’re not sustained.

Last week, the Music Venue Trust called on the government to hand the £5.2bn live music industry a £50m lifeline to stop “the total collapse” of the sector. “Thousands of job[s]” are at risk, including “promoters, production companies, managers, agents, artists and others, which form part of an inter-dependent eco-system that is the UK music industry.”

Record shops are hustling too. Yesterday, on what would have been Record Store Day, the emphasis shifted to the #loverecordstores campaign and events geared towards sustaining independent record shops through the crisis.

A petition to the government has gone up, urging the cancellation of the planned 2022 Festival of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, using its £120m budget to save the nation’s night-time economy. London’s Southbank Centre, home to gigs and the Meltdown festival, recently published a series of chilling figures. This tax year, they foresee a loss of £5m. If they reopen, adhering to physical distancing guidelines will mean operating at 30% capacity, driving losses up to £11m. So they’re probably staying shut until April 2021.

Some places are trying to reopen. There have been socially distanced club nights and theatre performances in Germany, drive-in gigs in Denmark and the US. There have been illicit raves and drive-in raves. All of these satisfy the need of fans to get together with others in a place where the music is so loud they can’t hear each other talk. But are they the future?

I emailed Jeremy Thomas of the Paradigm Agency, which represents artists as diverse as Billie Eilish and Liam Gallagher, for his take. A fun halfway house? “I don’t know if that’ll work in the UK given the romantic history of [drive-ins] in the US going back to the 50s,” he observed. “The only time that UK people crowd into car parks is for the Christmas rush or dogging.”

Monetised livestreaming does, however, look like a plausible way forward, short- and mid-term, for performers. Last Sunday, K-pop stars BTS played to 756,000 viewers across 107 regions globally, offering a choice of stages fans could switch between.
“We are certainly looking at doing more streaming shows,” notes Thomas. “We recently had a very successful event with Lewis Capaldi on the anniversary of the release of his first album. We sold more tickets to his virtual gig [in aid of depression charity Calm] than his last London show at Wembley Arena, so the demand is there.”

Tom Baker runs mid-size promoters Eat Your Own Ears, working with both musicians and venues. He’s had to furlough all his staff. EYOE is not in the streaming business, but Baker sees some paid-for streamed gigs as a viable option for artists and fans.

“[If] you have the right artist who perhaps has a new album, who hasn’t played live in a while and plays a special venue, then a paid stream can potentially be successful. But I think everything has to be right and aligned to make it work and also be of value to a ticket-buyer.” He cites forthcoming online festivals – where a cancelled festival hosts virtual gigs by their booked acts – as one example.
No one I asked had anything positive to say about physically distanced gigs. At all. The comments on an imaginary livestream of the idea would be a succession of poop emojis.

Braithwaite can’t see it working. “If a gig is even a third empty it usually ends up with the promoter losing a lot of money,” he notes. “Most gigs need to be close to selling out to make sense financially. I can see things changing drastically in terms of artist fees over the next few years. With record sales dropping, and streaming being so weighted in favour of the streaming companies, it’s going to be hard for a lot of musicians to live off their work, sadly.”

The focus for promoters EYOE is not drive-in gigs (“I’m not sure how environmentally friendly [they are],” cautions Baker) but a return to near-enough normality. “Socially distanced shows just go against everything that a successful show should be,” Baker says. “We just have to wait until it’s safe to put on shows at close to full capacity, as distancing in venues just doesn’t work for the artist, venue, promoter and everyone involved.”

No one knows when this limbo will end, either. Thomas says Paradigm “aren’t running scenarios” with their artists; they are in the dark like everyone about what will be allowed, or advisable, and when. “We’re in the same boat as everybody, as it’s all changing moment to moment.”

Baker just keeps on rebooking. “Lots of shows have moved from the spring and summer into autumn 2020, and lots are now moving again into 2021. It’s impossible to say, really, when the right time will be for live music and events to resume as before. The hope is that safe and careful measures will be implemented to ensure that [normal] shows can happen in 2021.”

Two weeks ago, veteran festival promoter Melvin Benn proposed a system, the Full Capacity Plan, whereby entry to gigs (or other forms of entertainment and hospitality) was tied to a form of immunity passport. He proposed an amplification of testing, tied to the government’s test-and-trace app, as a prerequisite for entry into non-distanced events. It’s a plan with drawbacks, not least the assumption that the presence of coronavirus antibodies guarantees immunity, which is not certain.

In the meantime, are Mogwai – a largely instrumental band famous for their intensity – going to sing for their supper on our phones? “It’s something we might look at,” Braithwaite says. “I’m not sure if it’d be a great fit for us, though. Our shows are quite reliant on volume.”