Prog Synch Listen: Stray: Moved On

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:31

John aka Josh wrote:

They don't make 'em like this any more, more's the pity.




Some have tried

And failed




.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:32

C wrote:A lovely riff here and again the acoustic/electric thing going down

Wishbone Ash eat your hearts out!






.



Great descending riff. And back to the phasing.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:33

Mr Hobo

What does this remind you of?






.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:33

Vocal slightly Rory esque.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:34

I was thinking Stealer's Wheel - stuck in the middle with you






.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:35

P.P. backing again I'd assume.



Yes, definitely reminding me of Rory.
Image

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:35

C wrote:I was thinking Stealer's Wheel - stuck in the middle with you






.



Gotcha.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:36

Sadly, the last track but a corker!







.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby LMG » 20 Mar 2020, 21:37

C wrote:
LMG wrote:This Del Bromham is a friggin' prodigy!


Indeed - and probably more influential than most would realise





.


Major kudos to him for channelling his talent into Stray and his own Del Bromham Blues Band rather than going the Geoff Whitehorn/Bernie Tormé and appearing as a rather faceless late-to-the-party cog in a number of successful bands.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:38

LMG wrote:
C wrote:
LMG wrote:This Del Bromham is a friggin' prodigy!


Indeed - and probably more influential than most would realise





.


Major kudos to him for channelling his talent into Stray and his own Del Bromham Blues Band rather than going the Geoff Whitehorn/Bernie Tormé and appearing as a rather faceless late-to-the-party cog in a number of successful bands.


Indeed

They are still going - led by Del.

they played a reunion at my second home - Dagenham Roundhouse a couple of years ago.

Still great





.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:39

C wrote:Sadly, the last track but a corker!







.




Has arrived unbelievably quickly.


What a gem this album has turned out to be - is it their best?
Image

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby LMG » 20 Mar 2020, 21:39

The axework on this whole LP is a joy to behold!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:39

I love the juxtaposition with the guitar, waves and seagulls!




.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby LMG » 20 Mar 2020, 21:40

And like Sabbath, not afraid to pack a tune with enough riffs to make up an album in other hands!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:41

LMG wrote:The axework on this whole LP is a joy to behold!




Indubitably.




The range shown is wonderful - so far from a one trick pony.
Image

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby LMG » 20 Mar 2020, 21:41

LMG wrote:And like Sabbath, not afraid to pack a tune with enough riffs to make up an album in lesser hands!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:41

John aka Josh wrote:What a gem this album has turned out to be - is it their best?


Possibly.

The first three - Stray, Suicide and Saturday Pictures are all fanatastic

{Iron Maiden covered the opening track of the debut}

Del got a bit obsessed with synths and stuff after the third and lost direction a bit





.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 9177
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: The Fortress Of Solitude

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby LMG » 20 Mar 2020, 21:41

Lovely!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 8388
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 21:42

C wrote:I love the juxtaposition with the guitar, waves and seagulls!




.






Me too.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Stray: ROCKING!

Postby C » 20 Mar 2020, 21:42

That was great fun!




.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"