rip eric taylor

Do talk back
Geezee

rip eric taylor

Postby Geezee » 11 Mar 2020, 10:01

Eric Taylor passed away according to reports from Houston yesterday, and seems confirmed on wikipedia. Not often discussed on here but Scuffletown is one of my personal favourite albums and songs like White Bone are pretty jaw-dropping. There's been a flurry of deaths of classic americana artists recently, and it does feel like there's a generation passing here - he used to play with David Olney, Richard Dobson and Guy Clark, all of whom have passed away in the last year or so (well, Guy was a few years ago now i guess). Taylor's angle to the genre was more on the pure story-telling side and he was a great lyric-writer. Never got to see him live - he used to play at the Green Note in Camden regularly but in the days before Songkick I always managed to find out about it after the fact.

Rip - Scuffletown's on the speakers as we speak.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

50 Shades Of Blue

Re: rip eric taylor

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 11 Mar 2020, 11:47

Informative post
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 11 Mar 2020, 15:56

Geezee wrote: There's been a flurry of deaths of classic americana artists recently, and it does feel like there's a generation passing here - he used to play with David Olney, Richard Dobson and Guy Clark, all of whom have passed away in the last year or so (well, Guy was a few years ago now i guess.

Rip - Scuffletown's on the speakers as we speak.

Playing Scuffletown here, too. It’s a fine album but for some reason Eric Taylor became one of those artists I was aware of but never really investigated further. If he played up here I must have missed him.

I’ve had the same thoughts about a generation passing and I guess on some level, it’s true. I saw Jimmie Gilmore recently with Dave Alvin and he was great but time is pressing so I if you get the chance to catch one of the guys (or gals), go for it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Mar 2020, 22:23

He was also connected to Nancy Griffith who has sadly retreated from the public. I think you're right Geezee, we are watching an era of American folk music slip away.

RIP Eric. Hold me a seat in that great barn in the sky.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 11 Mar 2020, 23:46

Very sad news. 'Prison Movie' is a wonderful song - haunting and truthful.
Don't go 'round tonight
It's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise