Will the Corona virus stop you from going to gigs?

Do talk back
“The Man”

Will the Corona virus stop you from going to gigs?

Postby “The Man” » 05 Mar 2020, 10:39

Having resisted the urge to buy TX for their last four or five farewell tours, finally bit the bullet and coughed up to see The Who on their upcoming tour. In the couple of months after that, I've booked to see Nick Mason's S of S, Tindersticks and John Prine.

Currently planning on going to The Who, but given how fast this crisis seems to be escalating, things might look a lot, lot different a couple of weeks from now...

Which acts' gigs might you take a chance on seeing and which might you opt out of?

Hugh

Re: Will the Corona virus stop you from going to gigs?

Postby Hugh » 05 Mar 2020, 11:01

The WHO have declared that it’s not yet a pandemic so you ought to be alright.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 05 Mar 2020, 11:18

Hugh wrote:The WHO have declared that it’s not yet a pandemic so you ought to be alright.

Round of applause.
Bugger off.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 05 Mar 2020, 12:35

No, I’ll just wash my hands before going.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 05 Mar 2020, 12:59

Having lived in Widnes all my life, the chance of the Corona virus surviving is next to nil. :D However, considering the last decent gig in Widnes was the Stone Roses at Spike Island 30+ years ago, the chances of going to a single gig are remote. For a dare, I listened to PFM in the car today and feel fine ,,,,and they're from Italy as well !

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 05 Mar 2020, 13:53

Rorschach wrote:
Hugh wrote:The WHO have declared that it’s not yet a pandemic so you ought to be alright.

Round of applause.

I'd join in, but as Boris Johnson has just declared there'll be no food shortages, I'm getting my arse down to the shops and doing a spot of frenzied panic buying.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 05 Mar 2020, 14:45

“The Man” wrote:
I'd join in, but as Boris Johnson has just declared there'll be no food shortages, I'm getting my arse down to the shops and doing a spot of frenzied panic buying.

Very wise, I think. What with this and Brexit, it’s a good idea to stock up. We have.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Mar 2020, 14:46

I'm a little concerned but if I'm not dead yet from the stupid shit I've done in my life I'm not going to hibernate over Corona.
That being said I'll be more alert at shows.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 06 Mar 2020, 13:59

Hightea wrote:I'm a little concerned but if I'm not dead yet from the stupid shit I've done in my life I'm not going to hibernate over Corona.
That being said I'll be more alert at shows.

Pretty much my feelings, too.

My missus was horrified when I told her I was still planning on going - even after I pointed out you could just as easily bump into a superspreader down at the local Tesco.

Given the size of his hooter, I bet Pete T is beginning to have second thoughts about going out on the road though

While I wouldn't be too fussed about missing The Who, I'd be well pissed off if I can't go to the Nick Mason S of S gig

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Mar 2020, 15:34

God I've got to start selling concert subscriptions soon. I hope people don't stay home.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Mar 2020, 19:30

Only if I get it.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Mar 2020, 19:31

So now we're going to Pete Townshend for medical advice?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 06 Mar 2020, 19:34

Muskrat wrote:

So now we're going to Pete Townshend for medical advice?

If we're all still here tomorrow morning, I think you might live to regret that remark

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 07 Mar 2020, 11:07

Ironically, given his well-publicised biting off of a bat's head a fan had thrown on stage, Ozzie O has just cancelled a slew of dates as a result of a virus many experts believe came from eating bats

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Mar 2020, 11:20

SXSW cancelled.
That's a big one.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 07 Mar 2020, 12:37

“The Man” wrote:Ironically, given his well-publicised biting off of a bat's head a fan had thrown on stage, Ozzie O has just cancelled a slew of dates as a result of a virus many experts believe came from eating bats

That’s just batty.

(Dad joke alert.)

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 12 Mar 2020, 10:08

Surprised that given the advanced age of both themselves and their fan base, that messers Daltrey and Townshend still seem to be going ahead with this tour. I appreciate that cancellation means they will stand to lose a fair chunk of change, but those multiple re-releases of various albums and lucrative farewell tours can hardly have left them on their uppers.

With two relos who I'm very close to in their 90s and looking especially vulnerable, I've decided that the prospect of joining 15,999 other high-risk potential CoVId sufferers to see a band I've seen before is a risk that's just not worth taking.

As I said further up the page, I'll be well pissed if I have to miss Nick Mason though.
Last edited by “The Man” on 12 Mar 2020, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Mar 2020, 10:21

Yes just cancelled their tour, citing issues with their insurance.
The fact that Steve Howe is shit-scared of bacteria is apparently not a factor....

The ban on Europe-Us travel sees most likely my Cruise To The Edge postponed or cancelled now...
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 12 Mar 2020, 11:11

never/ever wrote:Yes just cancelled their tour, citing issues with their insurance.
The fact that Steve Howe is shit-scared of bacteria is apparently not a factor....

The ban on Europe-Us travel sees most likely my Cruise To The Edge postponed or cancelled now...

Given what's happened to passengers aboard cruises of late, I think you may have dodged a bullet there. Hope you'll get a refund for at least the cost of the cruise tickets themselves.

While almost certainly out the £90 or so Ive forked out for The Who, I'll at least save on rail and hotel costs.

FWIW, Neil Young and Crazy Horse have just scratched their Barn tour because of CoVid.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2020, 15:12

Surely the Who will refund you if they cancel the gig.

Cruise to the Edge is going to be a total loss... Hopefully just postponed till later.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.