Careers that started out well and just seemed to fizzle out

Do talk back
bobzilla77

Re: Careers that started out well and just seemed to fizzle out

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2020, 15:07

Some of these were clearly drug casualties.

I saw Sly Stone jump onstage with P Funk in 2009, he still has that voice but couldn't stay out there for more than 3 minutes. I don't think he is capable of really doing gigs. This was around the time the "Family Stone" was booking gigs at which Sly may or may not come out to sing, I think the three minutes I got was more than done people who paid $75 just to see him. That tour did not make any repeat appearances.

Dando was heavy into the shit even when he was big, and last I saw him in 2013, he was still on it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2020, 15:09

Whatever happened to Ashlee Simpson?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Mar 2020, 19:56

Marshal Crenshaw

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Mar 2020, 02:22

Housemartins
Aztec Camera
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Mar 2020, 04:07

Someone posted the debut album from Nik Kershaw on Now Playing and I immediately thought of this thread. A couple of albums and a bunch of big hits then he just vanished.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 22 Mar 2020, 22:27

Geezee wrote:Might not perhaps be quite the right fit for this topic, but I heard Texas on the radio yesterday and thought of this thread. Not sure their career "started out well" but they certainly had that mid-career period in the sun - and then really fizzled out through diminishing returns. I'm aware the lead singer became very ill but by then they were already long gone.

If you go into any charity shop in Scotland you will find a Texas album. It's the law.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

My Brother Plays The Guitar

Postby My Brother Plays The Guitar » 23 Mar 2020, 02:06

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
Geezee wrote:Might not perhaps be quite the right fit for this topic, but I heard Texas on the radio yesterday and thought of this thread. Not sure their career "started out well" but they certainly had that mid-career period in the sun - and then really fizzled out through diminishing returns. I'm aware the lead singer became very ill but by then they were already long gone.

If you go into any charity shop in Scotland you will find a Texas album. It's the law.

According to wiki they sold 40 million albums worldwide. The guitar player had a brain aneurysm. Motormouth Spiteri went solo before this happened, if she had been ill it would've been everywhere up here. I saw her supporting McCartney, awful would be me being kind. She resorted to begging the audience for any reaction whatsoever. She failed at that.

50 shades is correct about them being a charity shop staple.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 25 Mar 2020, 14:04

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:
According to wiki they sold 40 million albums worldwide. The guitar player had a brain aneurysm. Motormouth Spiteri went solo before this happened, if she had been ill it would've been everywhere up here. I saw her supporting McCartney, awful would be me being kind. She resorted to begging the audience for any reaction whatsoever. She failed at that.

50 shades is correct about them being a charity shop staple.

Of all the Texas releases 1997's "White On Blonde" is seen in charity shops in the largest quantities. That is vast quantities.
There are almost certainly more copies lying abandoned in charity shops throughout Scotland than in peoples homes. There should be a movement in the charity sector to round up all the copies and then crush them up to form the base layer for a road surface on a remote Scottish island.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses

As if i give a fuck

At best i think they suck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 25 Mar 2020, 23:30

Matt Wilson wrote:Marshal Crenshaw

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.