75%
Led Zeppelin
25%

Total votes: 24

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Feb 2020, 00:57

Had you asked me this question years ago I would have said Zeppelin in a heartbeat. I've been on such a Floyd kick lately that I seem to have reversed my opinion.
Let's consider the years they both released albums:

Led Zeppelin & Led Zeppelin 2 vs More & Ummagumma
Well it's rather heartedly on the Zep side, no? Further elucidation is unnecessary.

Led Zeppelin 3 vs Atom Heart Mother
Conventional wisdom tells me to vote Zeppelin, but I've been playing AHM a lot lately and I love the quad version contained on The Early Years box. I'm going to go ahead and vote Zep for the second year in a row but barely for 1970.

Meddle vs Led Zeppelin 4
Another clear vote for Led Zeppelin like 1969, but unlike that year, I really do love Meddle. I like it more than Piper at the Gates of Dawn to be honest.

Houses of the Holy vs Dark Side of the Moon
And now the domination of Pink Floyd begins, at least to these ears. Houses is a great Zeppelin LP, but Dark Side is virtually perfect.

Physical Graffiti vs Wish You Were Here
It's close again, but I'm going to give the nod to Wish in '75, like I gave it to Zeppelin 3 in '70. There's a perfection (there's that word again) to WYWH which I can't give to PG. WYWH is filler-free for one thing.

1976/77
Presence vs Animals
I've come to enjoy Presence over the years, but it's no Animals - which could be the most underrated Floyd record ever. It's also many fans' fave PF album.

In Through the Out Door vs The Wall
Well, it's fashionable to slag off The Wall, but I don't think it takes too much to beat ITTOD.

The albums which weren't compared during these years were the live The Song Remains the Same and the soundtrack Obscured by Clouds. Both are soundtracks actually. And neither are exactly great - though I enjoy both. Floyd vs Zeppelin are easy to compare because they released the same amount of albums.

Thoughts?

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

Postby Dr. Baron » 12 Feb 2020, 01:04

I really dislike Pink Floyd after DSOTM. Also, I don't particularly like Atom Heart Mother. Maybe someday I'll come around to those things. But until then, it isn't much of a contest for me. 1973 is the only one PF takes for me, and that's pretty close. I really love Meddle, but LZIV is too much for it.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Feb 2020, 01:34

I prefer Pink Floyd.

*Hides from DD
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Feb 2020, 02:44

I think if I was going to compare Coda to The Final Cut, I might go with Coda.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Feb 2020, 04:31

Led Zeppelin were more consistent but I feel there is more depth to the Floyd catalogue, more to discover and albums that seem grow on you over time as well as the more instant ones.

I pretty much agree with Matt's album-by-album comparison (though I like ITTOD more than him and Meddle vs IV is pretty much a score draw).

They are two of my top five favourite bands but Floyd are just one place higher in the ranking

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Feb 2020, 05:16

Matt Wilson wrote:I think if I was going to compare Coda to The Final Cut, I might go with Coda.

I'd go with Coda too, especially the expanded version with Hey Hey What Can I Do.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Feb 2020, 08:12

Well, my Top 5 bands are in this order:

The Beatles.
Pink Floyd.
Yes.
Steely Dan.
Led Zeppelin.

So Floyd wins it in this poll and probably not that close, but they’ve been my band since 1970.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 Feb 2020, 08:16

I don't care much for either But I love Piper, quite like Meddle and can listen to DSOTM, WYWH and Animals without having to leave the room. That's five albums ahead of anything by Led Zeppelin.
I like the song about vikings where he shouts a lot but I really can't bear anything else by them.
Bugger off.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Feb 2020, 08:38

soundchaser wrote:Well, my Top 5 bands are in this order:

The Beatles.
Pink Floyd.
Yes.
Steely Dan.
Led Zeppelin.

close to mine:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Genesis
XTC

with Yes just missing out at 6

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Feb 2020, 09:11

I lost interest in Zeppelin after Physical Graffiti and lost interest in Floyd after Wish You Were Here.

I probably play Floyd more than Zeppelin but I don't know 5 albums of the formers catalogue and two including comp Coda of the latter. Over the decades, I have rarely played Physical Graffiti it is too overblown and contains too many tracks I am not keen on. The Wall, I have never managed to listen right through (I have never owned it)

So, the top 6 ranked albums would look like this:

1. LZ2
2. Atom Heart
3. A Saucerful
4. Meddle
5. LZ4
6. LZ1

So I suppose that's Pink Floyd by a gnat's whisker

In terms of your years Matt, I would go

Led Zeppelin

Atom Heart Mother

Meddle

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

1976/77
Animals

Pass

Which is an even bigger win for Pink Floyd

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2020, 14:36

Led Zeppelin made 8 studio albums ... starting (oddly enough) with 1 to 4. They PISS ALL OVER the first four Pink Floyd albums from the same period (More, Ummagumma, AHM & Meddle). You know, like not even on the same fucking planet.

HOTH, PG, Presence & ITTOD - are they better than DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall? I would say so (I think Animals has two decent tunes, The Wall .... 2 if that, whereas Presence and ITTOD aren't great overall, but I think they're just better) but I could understand others marginally giving it to Pink Floyd, purely on the strength of DSOTM & WYWH. But that is so much closer a call than the first four albums, where Zep PISS ALL OVER Pink Floyd (have I said that already?).

So - taking the two periods that way, there is only one conceivable winner and it sure as shit isn't Pink Floyd.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Feb 2020, 15:29

Diamond Dog wrote: (More, Ummagumma, AHM & Meddle)[/u].

Two of three of my favourite Floyd albums

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2020, 16:15

Carlsson wrote:

Carlsson, Matt Wilson and Rorschach all going for Pink Floyd.

It's a shoo in for the mighty Zep!
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Feb 2020, 16:15

Diamond Dog wrote:Led Zeppelin made 8 studio albums ... starting (oddly enough) with 1 to 4. They PISS ALL OVER the first four Pink Floyd albums from the same period (More, Ummagumma, AHM & Meddle). You know, like not even on the same fucking planet.

HOTH, PG, Presence & ITTOD - are they better than DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall? I would say so (I think Animals has two decent tunes, The Wall .... 2 if that, whereas Presence and ITTOD aren't great overall, but I think they're just better) but I could understand others marginally giving it to Pink Floyd, purely on the strength of DSOTM & WYWH. But that is so much closer a call than the first four albums, where Zep PISS ALL OVER Pink Floyd (have I said that already?).

So - taking the two periods that way, there is only one conceivable winner and it sure as shit isn't Pink Floyd.

Have to completely disagree, but, you know, horses for courses.

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Feb 2020, 16:30

Have to sit on the fence with this. Listen to the Floyd more than Zep currently, so I guess it should go to them but Physical Graffiti is probably my favourite of all the albums both PF and LZ currently. Don't really understand why it doesn't feature more highly for you C?

So, evens stevens for me.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Feb 2020, 19:14

robertff wrote:Don't really understand why it doesn't feature more highly for you C?

Too much filler Rob

*ducks*

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Feb 2020, 19:24

Carlsson wrote:
robertff wrote:Don't really understand why it doesn't feature more highly for you C?

Too much filler Rob

*ducks*

Really? Don't see it myself, think it's possibly their best along with IV - certainly the one I'm most likely to dig out and give a spin.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Feb 2020, 20:05

I don't listen to either band much these days and even if I did my mood would be different when I chose one or the other band to play. They are so different to my ears that choosing one or the other to spin would rarely occur. When I do play one or the other these days it is usually LZ.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Feb 2020, 23:14

Very odd. Why not include Obscured by Clouds in 1972, and say PF beat LZ that year because LZ took a year off, or say LZ wins because Obscured is crap? Year-to-year is one thing, but when a band has two stunning records before the other band even started, not at least mentioning that is silly. Anyway, LZ is one of those great groups with a very high quality rate. I don't dislike a single song on any of their studio albums. But I just like and relate to PF far more. It's a personal thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Feb 2020, 02:06

Diamond Dog wrote:
Carlsson wrote:

Carlsson, Matt Wilson and Rorschach all going for Pink Floyd.

It's a shoo in for the mighty Zep!

I noticed as soon as you posted Floyd took the lead.