January 31st, 2020, 11:30 PM

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

January 31st, 2020, 11:30 PM

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Feb 2020, 00:29

Well, it's gone past 1:00 AM here in Denmark, and Brexit is a reality. So I thought I'd play me some Beatles, can't think of anything more appropriate. "Abbey Road" from 1969, the last studio recording by the UK's finest. Three years later, in 1972, the UK, along with Denmark, joined the EEC, now the EU. A 47 year experiment has come to an end, and we shall see what the future brings.

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

J

Re: January 31st, 2020, 11:30 PM

Postby J » 01 Feb 2020, 01:35

I find myself in a similarly reflective mood here in the UK...

Missed the 2300 exit time but heard some fireworks in the far distance. There were only a half dozen or so, and they somehow seemed lonely in an otherwise quiet night. The rest of the town didn't seem to be celebrating.

Switched to the TV channels a few minutes later : BBC1,2 and others had live programmes (still) covering the 'event', but it all seemed like a set of talking-heads empty-headedly picking over the bones of some recently expired unfathomable creature. Dinosaur or higher form of life? : the owners of the heads had probably been picked to disagree on that, and also on what had been lost. Perhaps the UK electorate may be wiser about that after the passage of time?

Decided to put some music on. Found myself going for something 'european':
Focus Live At The Rainbow
After a while I realised this LP was released in 1973, and recorded only about 4 months after the UK (and Denmark & Ireland) joined the EEC.
A Dutch group recorded in the UK, and selling enough to chart well too.
Seemed an appropriate choice, somehow.
Following that I got into an early-70s Dutch groove (both also further examples of European music that garnered reasonable UK attention)
Earth And Fire (1st album, 1970)
Kayak - See See The Sun (1973)

I remember the UK joining the EEC. I don't remember feeling much excitement about it at the time, but I was still quite young.
Not feeling any excitement now either. I might say 'apprehension', but it's not really a strong-enough word.

##
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 01 Feb 2020, 04:58

elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:Image

Kayak is such a great group, and that first album is ambitious and excellent. Maybe the title track can offer us some insight in trying times: "It is concealed in the nature of things." We don't know for sure and we can take some comfort in that. And the great BB-esque harmony singing is just sublime.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Feb 2020, 15:41

elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:
Decided to put some music on. Found myself going for something 'european':

I was there.

Of course

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

J

Postby J » 02 Feb 2020, 00:51

Quaco wrote:

Kayak is such a great group, and that first album is ambitious and excellent. Maybe the title track can offer us some insight in trying times: "It is concealed in the nature of things." We don't know for sure and we can take some comfort in that. And the great BB-esque harmony singing is just sublime.

Thanks. Yes I wholeheartedly agree - Kayak's first album is a very good record.
I'm also fond of many of their releases that followed in the next few years. I always find it to be a bit of a treat to put on one of their early records.
Definitely a great group.

C wrote:
elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:Decided to put some music on. Found myself going for something 'european':

I was there.

Of course

I'm envious, I didn't manage to see Focus until years later (following a reformation of the band).
The Wikipedia entry for the 'At The Rainbow' album lists other tracks that were played but weren't included on the LP (Anonymous II, HotK, etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Rainbow#Performed_at_the_show,_but_unreleased.
Someone was obviously taking notes.
It wasn't you, was it? ;)

##
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Feb 2020, 01:29

Quaco wrote:

I'm also fond of many of their releases that followed in the next few years. I always find it to be a bit of a treat to put on one of their early records.

Yes! The first five, all with Max Werner on lead vocals, are all very good. My favorite might be Royal Bed Bouncer, but all are excellent. I like some of the stuff after that too.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Feb 2020, 00:25

Britain, Ireland and Denmark joined the EU Jan 1st 1973.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Feb 2020, 02:32

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:Britain, Ireland and Denmark joined the EU Jan 1st 1973.

:D Hi, Jeemo!

Officially, yes. But they voted to join the EEC (as it was called then) in 1972.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Feb 2020, 08:52

morning, reason I remember 73 was there was a football match between Europe and UK/Ireland/Denmark select.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

J

Postby J » 04 Feb 2020, 01:24

Quaco wrote:
Quaco wrote:Kayak is such a great group, and that first album is ambitious and excellent. Maybe the title track can offer us some insight in trying times: "It is concealed in the nature of things." We don't know for sure and we can take some comfort in that. And the great BB-esque harmony singing is just sublime.

Yes! The first five, all with Max Werner on lead vocals, are all very good. My favorite might be Royal Bed Bouncer, but all are excellent. I like some of the stuff after that too.

Those first five are all fine records. I think the following ones released before their early-80s split are a little more patchy, although still very good in places.
My favourite of the first five would probably also be "Royal Bed Bouncer". Of the later ones after they became more pop/rock/mainstream it would definitely be "Phantom Of The Night".
Didn't initially find myself getting into any of the releases from after their reunion in 1999, but have recently started to have another go. There are quite a few of them!
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Feb 2020, 01:47

Quaco wrote:

Those first five are all fine records. I think the following ones released before their early-80s split are a little more patchy, although still very good in places.
My favourite of the first five would probably also be "Royal Bed Bouncer". Of the later ones after they became more pop/rock/mainstream it would definitely be "Phantom Of The Night".
Didn't initially find myself getting into any of the releases from after their reunion in 1999, but have recently started to have another go. There are quite a few of them!

Yes! Ton Scherpenzeel just keeps going, bless him. There is a certain "too much faceless excellence" aspect to some of the recent stuff, but I can't fault him and he consistently writes good music. I sort of lost track after the reunion album with Max (from 1999), which, despite modern production values, I thought was still pretty excellent. I like Max's voice a lot, and wish he still was making music. His solo stuff is often good too.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 Feb 2020, 04:59

Quaco wrote:

I have two of their albums on CDR that I really like (courtesy of Quaco) and another two that I'm not keen on (Starlight Dancer/
Phantom of the Night twofer CD), possibly they are later ones. Royal Bed Bouncer is one I'm missing but would like to get. Their albums are hard to come by.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Feb 2020, 08:27

trans-chigley express wrote:I have two of their albums on CDR that I really like (courtesy of Quaco) and another two that I'm not keen on (Starlight Dancer/Phantom of the Night twofer CD), possibly they are later ones. Royal Bed Bouncer is one I'm missing but would like to get. Their albums are hard to come by.

Starlight Dancer is the last of the Max Werner vocals ones, and Phantom of the Night is the first one with the new vocalist. (Werner moved over to drums, never liking the limelight.) The former is a bit poppy (the hook in "Where Do We Go From Here" sounds like something by Christopher Cross or someone like that), but has some really incredible tracks, like "Dead Bird Flies Forever", "Daughter or Son", and "May". The latter is just a little too poppy for my tastes, but the single "Ruthless Queen" is pretty undeniable.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 Feb 2020, 09:56

Quaco wrote:Starlight Dancer is the last of the Max Werner vocals ones, and Phantom of the Night is the first one with the new vocalist. (Werner moved over to drums, never liking the limelight.) The former is a bit poppy (the hook in "Where Do We Go From Here" sounds like something by Christopher Cross or someone like that), but has some really incredible tracks, like "Dead Bird Flies Forever", "Daughter or Son", and "May". The latter is just a little too poppy for my tastes, but the single "Ruthless Queen" is pretty undeniable.

Hmmm, seems my version is missing "Dead Bird Flies Forever". Comparing the tracklisting to the one on discogs there are 3 missing tracks from the two album in order to fit the albums on one CD. 9 tracks on each album only :roll:
It appears to be a Korean release so I can't read the booklet

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Feb 2020, 22:42

trans-chigley express wrote:
Quaco wrote:Starlight Dancer is the last of the Max Werner vocals ones, and Phantom of the Night is the first one with the new vocalist. (Werner moved over to drums, never liking the limelight.) The former is a bit poppy (the hook in "Where Do We Go From Here" sounds like something by Christopher Cross or someone like that), but has some really incredible tracks, like "Dead Bird Flies Forever", "Daughter or Son", and "May". The latter is just a little too poppy for my tastes, but the single "Ruthless Queen" is pretty undeniable.

Hmmm, seems my version is missing "Dead Bird Flies Forever". Comparing the tracklisting to the one on discogs there are 3 missing tracks from the two album in order to fit the albums on one CD. 9 tracks on each album only :roll:
It appears to be a Korean release so I can't read the booklet

Odd! They have some strange releases. In the US, there was an album called Starlight Dancer which was really a combo of the original Last Encore and Starlight Dancer albums.

Return to “Yakety Yak”