"September Gurls" – 3:00
"Thank You Friends" – 3:19

Side D
"Slut" (Todd Rundgren) – 3:58
"Jeepster" (Marc Bolan) – 5:35
"Kansas City" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) – 3:05
"Till the End of the Day" (Ray Davies) – 3:37
"Duke of Earl" (Chandler, Edwards, Williams) – 3:35

Been listening a lot to this reissue from 2016 I believe and loving it - with the missing cover versions added from the show it makes it much much more than just a live run thru of the Big Star hits. It reminds me how refreshing and wonderful it is to here Alex taking chances and missing, fucking up and going with it , and what I miss from "modern" digital programmed pop music - the importance and beauty of mistakes !

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Big Star Live at Missouri University Complete

Postby Dr. Baron » 18 Jan 2020, 03:08

I dialed this up and put it on the headphones while doing chores tonight and it really hit the spot. It was so anticipated when it came out and I think I foolishly focused almost exclusively on the Todd Rundgren cover (which was new to me at the time) and how much I hated the Posies. More fool me. It's really much better than I remembered, and I didn't think it was bad at the time at all, it was just that if I wanted to hear this stuff I would put on the records. But hearing it loud in the headphones focused me on it and it really is wonderful. Just sloppy enough! Chilton was such a badass. He could do whatever he wanted, but for the most part, he just didn't seem to particularly want to play Big Star songs. I'm glad they did this and got it down on tape. I'll be returning to it again very soon.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 18 Jan 2020, 15:11

I picked this up when it got an official release in 93'

The following were added for the 2016 expanded edition
"O My Soul" – 4:38
"Thirteen" – 2:51

An extra 23 minutes of material.

Just found the expanded edition on Spotify which I will listen to after the Scottish Cup football coverage finishes.
Can't see me needing another version of Kansas City or Duke Of Earl .............unless you guys say different ;)

Which are the best of the added tracks?
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Jan 2020, 16:05

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:I picked this up when it got an official release in 93'

The following were added for the 2016 expanded edition
"O My Soul" – 4:38
"Thirteen" – 2:51

An extra 23 minutes of material.

Just found the expanded edition on Spotify which I will listen to after the Scottish Cup football coverage finishes.
Can't see me needing another version of Kansas City or Duke Of Earl .............unless you guys say different ;)

Which are the best of the added tracks?

You need the whole thing. The electric version of Thirteen, O My Soul - they are all good, its more the spirit of the playing than the individual tracks and the way the whole thing flows as a complete show. Kansas City and Duke of Earl are both great ! The Ken Stringfellow loses his place on Till the End of the Day several times but then makes up for it - "Were really swinging now!"

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Jan 2020, 02:56

Mike Boom wrote:You need the whole thing. The electric version of Thirteen, O My Soul - they are all good, its more the spirit of the playing than the individual tracks and the way the whole thing flows as a complete show.

I listened to most of this on Youtube, thanks for reminding me about it.

The rendition of O My Soul is actually pretty bad, I thought - they didn't really seem to lock in on it, somehow, and you can tell that's why it was left off the original, incomplete release. But I embrace Alec's ethos of the shambolic.

I have no Posies baggage, but they showed that long-haired guy too much.

[youtube]=uDojqVfQTcs[/youtube]
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.