My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Do talk back
User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3101
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Jan 2020, 06:42

1992

Automatic for the People - REM
Copper Blue - Sugar
Slanted and Enchanted - Pavement
Your Arsenal - Morrissey
Dirty - Sonic Youth
Going Blank Again - Ride
Its a Shame About Ray - The Lemonheads
Nonsuch - XTC
Southern Harmony and Musical Companion - Black Crowes
In Ribbons - Pale Saints

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3101
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Jan 2020, 06:47

1993

Zooropa - U2
Modern Life is Rubbish - Blur
Star - Belly
Republic - New Order
Suede
Giant Steps - Boo Ridleys
Come on Feel The Lemonheads
So Tough - St Etienne
Together Alone - Crowded House
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3101
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Jan 2020, 06:57

1994

Grace - Jeff Buckley
Unplugged - Nirvana
Parklike - Blur
Crooked Rain Crooked Rain - Pavement
Monster - REM
Bee Thousand - Guided by Voices
Vauxhall and I - Morrissey
Second Coming - The Stone Roses
Blowout Comb - Digable Planets
Mighty Joe Moon - Grant Lee Buffalo

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1989

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2020, 08:27

C wrote:
robertff wrote: Pretty rum year.


.


is 1982 any better...?

Marginally?

.




Agreed but at least there were a few I could select without hesitation.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2020, 15:41

1983

Yays

REM - Murmur
Police - Synchronicity
ZZ - Eliminator
Eurythmics - Touch
Bowie - Let's Dance
Yes - 90125
Big Country - The Crossing
Stones - Undercover
U2 - War
ELO - Secret Messages

Nearlies

Robert Cray - Bad Influence
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Richard Thompson - Hand of Kindness

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2020, 16:04

1984

U2 - Unforgettable Fire
Smiths - Same
REM - Reckoning
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Pretenders - Learning to Crawl
Human League - Hysteria
Big Country - Steeltown
Steve Miller - Italian X-Rays
Eurythmics - 1984
Cars - Heartbeat City



.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby C » 25 Jan 2020, 18:57

robertff wrote:1983

Yays

REM - Murmur
Police - Synchronicity
ZZ - Eliminator
Eurythmics - Touch
Bowie - Let's Dance
Yes - 90125
Big Country - The Crossing
Stones - Undercover
U2 - War
ELO - Secret Messages


.


I'd vote for four of those

I can't remember my 1983 - let me find it

1983 - just as bad only exactly 10... [I struggled -again]

War - U2
Dazzle Ships - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
The Hurting - Tears for Fears
Hand of Kindness - Richard Thompson
The Crossing - Big Country
Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks - Brian Eno
Flick of the Switch - AC/DC
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
90125 - Yes
Walk Into Light - Ian Anderson





.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2020, 19:18

C wrote:
robertff wrote:1983

Yays

REM - Murmur
Police - Synchronicity
ZZ - Eliminator
Eurythmics - Touch
Bowie - Let's Dance
Yes - 90125
Big Country - The Crossing
Stones - Undercover
U2 - War
ELO - Secret Messages


.


I'd vote for four of those

I can't remember my 1983 - let me find it

1983 - just as bad only exactly 10... [I struggled -again]

War - U2
Dazzle Ships - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
The Hurting - Tears for Fears
Hand of Kindness - Richard Thompson
The Crossing - Big Country
Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks - Brian Eno
Flick of the Switch - AC/DC
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
90125 - Yes
Walk Into Light - Ian Anderson


.



Never got into Tears for Fears and OMD, although I seem to have acquired a few albums by each. Quite like Rebel Yell and the AC/DC and got them both but I always feel that one AC/DC is like any other, good though they are. Amazingly I've also got the Ian Anderson - just checked, can't remember the last time I played it. Would have thought Eurythmics might have been your cup of tea though?

We have some similar choices forced upon us by lack of worthy contenders perhaps?


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2020, 19:35

1985

Yays

Dire Straits - Brothers
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Cure - Head on the Door
Kate Bush - Hounds
Smiths - Meat is Murder
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
Eurythmics - Be Yourself Tonight
Tom Petty - Southern Accents
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls

Nearlies

Prince - Around the World
Cult - Love
Chris Issac - Silvertone
Richard Thompson - Across a Crowded Room
REM - Fables of the Reconstruction

.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 55512
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby C » 25 Jan 2020, 23:50

robertff wrote:
C wrote:
robertff wrote:1983

Yays

REM - Murmur
Police - Synchronicity
ZZ - Eliminator
Eurythmics - Touch
Bowie - Let's Dance
Yes - 90125
Big Country - The Crossing
Stones - Undercover
U2 - War
ELO - Secret Messages


.


I'd vote for four of those

I can't remember my 1983 - let me find it

1983 - just as bad only exactly 10... [I struggled -again]

War - U2
Dazzle Ships - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
The Hurting - Tears for Fears
Hand of Kindness - Richard Thompson
The Crossing - Big Country
Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks - Brian Eno
Flick of the Switch - AC/DC
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
90125 - Yes
Walk Into Light - Ian Anderson


.



Never got into Tears for Fears and OMD, although I seem to have acquired a few albums by each. Quite like Rebel Yell and the AC/DC and got them both but I always feel that one AC/DC is like any other, good though they are. Amazingly I've also got the Ian Anderson - just checked, can't remember the last time I played it. Would have thought Eurythmics might have been your cup of tea though?

We have some similar choices forced upon us by lack of worthy contenders perhaps?


.


Regarding your last point Rob, yes. I only had ten selections I could even consider (compared to say 1969 - 1972 where I had about 50 contenders for each)

I really rate them all highly - the AC/DC album is one of their best - top 3. However, if I had to list only nine Billy Idol would go without hesitation - not at the same level - I would replace it with REM's Murmur [initially overlooked in error]

The Eurythmics were never my thing although I didn't really investigate to any depth.

Dazzle Ships is my fave OMD album - very aligned to Kraftwerk which can't be bad





.
Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2020, 08:06

1986


Yays

Smiths - Queen is Dead
REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Prince - Parade
Stones - Dirty Work - not the Stones at their best by any means but the fan in me would still want to buy it.
Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life
Eurythmics - Revenge
Queen - A Kind of Magic
ELO - Balance of Power
Big Country - The Seer
Pretenders - Get Close

Nearlies

Bangles - Different Light
Smithereens - Especially for You
Chris Isaac - Same
Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
Talking Heads - True Stories


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2020, 08:26

1987

Yays

U2 - Joshua Tree
Prince - Sign of the Times
REM - Document
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite
Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me
Smiths - Strangeways
Fleetwood Mac- Tango
George Harrison - Cloud 9
Cult - Electric
J&MC - Darklands

Nearlies

Tom Petty - Let Me Up
Bryan Ferry - Bette Noire
Floyd - Momentary Lapse
Floodland - Sisters of Mercy
INXS - Kicks
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Bruce - Tunnel of Love

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2020, 19:41

1988


REM - Green
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Session
Richard Thompson - Amnesia
U2 - Rattle and Hum
Travelling Wilburys - Vol 1
Talking Heads - Naked
Smithereens - Green Thoughts
Steve Winwood - Roll With It
Big Country - Peace in Our Time
CSN&Y - American Dream

Pixies - Surfer Rosa


Not a good year for me only a few I couldn't live without, struggling to find 10.

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2020, 19:58

1989

Definites


Cure - Disintegration
Stone Roses - Same
NY - Freedom
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Aerosmith - Pump
Lou Reed - New York
Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
Stones - Steel Wheels
Macca - Flowers in the Dirt
Cult - Sonic Temple

Nearlies

10000 Maniacs - Blind Man Zoo
Eurythmics - We Too Are One
Pixies - Doolittle
Van - Avalon Sunset
Chris Isaac - Heart Shaped World
Eric - Journeyman

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 27 Jan 2020, 19:46

1990


Black Crowes - Shake your Money
Happy Mondays - Pills and Thrills
Neil Young - Ragged Glory
The La's - Same
Sundays - Reading, Writing .......
Ride - Nowhere
Charlatans - Some Friendly
World Party - Goodbye Jumbo
Fleetwood Mac - Behind the Mask
Traveling Wilburys - Vol III



Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing
Van - Enlightenment
James - Gold Mother
Jellyfish - Bellybutton
Lou Reed/John Cale - Songs for Drella
Pixies - Bossanova

.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5465
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby robertff » 27 Jan 2020, 20:14

1991



Nirvana - Nevermind
Richard Thompson- Rumour and Sigh
U2 - Achtung
REM - Out of Time
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Tom Petty - Into the Great Wide Open
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Dire Straits - On Every Street
NY - Arc Weld
Guns and Roses - Use Your Illusion II



Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
Pearl Jam - Ten
Guns and Roses - Use Your Illusion I
Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Pixies - Trompe le Monde


.


.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2372
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: My top ten LPs for the years 1960 - 1994

Postby Hightea » 15 Mar 2020, 02:28

1990
Concrete Blonde-Bloodletting
Depeche Mode-Violator
Echo & The Bunnymen-Reverberation
The Cure-Mixed Up
Neil Young-Ragged Glory
Ozric Tenacles-Erpland
Pixies-Bossanova
Blues traveler-Blues Traveler
The Breeders-Pod
Pixies - Bossanova



1991
Blues travelers-Travelers and Thiefs
u2-Achtung Baby
Massive Attack-Blue Lines
Temple Of the Dog-Temple of the Dog
My Bloody Valentine-Loveless
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Nirvana-Nevermind
Pearl Jam-Ten
Pixies-Trompe le monde
REM-Out of Time


1992
Alice in Chains-Dirt
Änglagård-Hybris
Stone Temple Pilots-Core
Tori Amos-Little Earthquakes
Peter Gabriel-Us
PJ Harvey-Dry
REM-Automatic for the People
XTC-NonSuch
Singles-Soundtrack
Spiritualized-Lazer Guided Melodie



1993
Belly-Star
Blur-Modern Life is Rubbish
Pearl Jam - VS
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
The Breeders-Last Slash
Counting Crows-August and Everything Afer
PJ Harvey-Rid of Me
Ozric Tenacles-Jurrasic Shift
Bjork-Debut
Sarah Mclachlan-Fumbling Towards Ecsasy




1994
Tori Amos-Under ThePink
REM -Monster
Jeff Buckley-Grace
Portishead-Dummy
Blur-Parklife
Marillion-Brave
Oasis-Definitely Maybe
Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral
Weezer-Weezer(The Blue Album)
Soundgarden-Superunknown



1995
Radiohead-The Bends
Oasis-(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
PJ Harvey-To Bring You My Love
Elliot Smith-Elliot Smith
Pulp-Different Class
Bjork-Post
porcupine Tree-The Sky Moves Sideways
Seven Mary Three-American Standard
"Tricky-Maxinquaye
"


1996
REM-New Adventures in High Fi
Tori Amos-Boys For Pele
Fiona Apple-Tidal
Neutral Milk Hotel-Avery Island
Beth Orton-Trailer Park
Super Furry Animals-Fuzzy Logic
Pearl Jam-No Code
Cibo Matto-Viva! La Woman
Aimee Mann-Im With Stupid
Beck-Odelay


1997
Radiohead-Ok Computer
The Verve-Urban Hymnes
Portishead-Portishead
Ani DiFranco-Living In Clip
Bjork-Homogenic
Slearer-Kinney-Dig It Out
Super Furry Animals-Radiator
Mogwai-Young Team
Bob Dylan-Time out of Mind
"IQ-Subterranea
"


1998
Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Elliot Smith-XO
Air-Moon Safari
"Tortoise
-TNT"
Tori Amos-From the Choirgirl Hotel
Pulp-This is Hardcore
PJ Harvey-Is This Desire?
Sheryl Crow-The Globe Sessions
Govt Mule-Dose

1999
Tori Amos-To Venus and Back
Sigur Rós-Ágætis byrjun
Porcupine Tree-Stupid Dream
Fiona Apple-When the Pawn …
Magnolia-Various Artist
"Super Furry Animals-Guerrilla
"
Liquid Tension Experiment-Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Beth Orton-Central Reservation
Of Montreal-The Gay Parade
The White Stripes-The White Stripes