A classic album?

Do talk back
robertff

A classic album?

Postby robertff » 02 Jan 2020, 16:58

Lord Rother on Prog Corner posted Radiohead's 'The Bends' as a 'classic', which started me thinking - when is it determined that an album has become a 'classic' and who decides when it has become a classic, or is it just an individual statement by someone who particularly likes an album saying to a mate, I really like this album it's a classic. And when does an album become universally accepted as a classic? What then is a classic album?

Interested to know your views.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: A classic album?

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2020, 17:42

There's 'instant classic', 'neo-classic', and 'classic' (all-time classic). Instant classic is when everyone goes wow immediately upon hearing it, then when the hype dies down, it moves on to neo-classic status. After so many years of general consensus, it becomes a classic, or even all-time classic, which is the final seal of approval. I'd say it takes at least a decade for something to earn classic status. Free of the euphoria of passing fads.

I knew The Bends had something from first listen. Then Noel Gallagher went public and called it The Dog's Bollocks, which further solidified its rep.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: A classic album?

Postby soundchaser » 02 Jan 2020, 17:43

We all have our own views as to what is classic, or not, but NME, Q and Mojo have been great aids for me over the years.

I guess it’s different now that music is so readily accessible and rock has become diluted somewhat in popular culture.

But I’m very happy with what I believe constitutes classic. It is subjective, after all.