Page 1 of 3

When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 12:51
by C
Vastly overlooked and seminally robust

Anybody want a free brand new copy [proper CD]?

PM me asap






x

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 15:43
by robertff
Beautiful album, totally agree C - got a CD already though thanks.


.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 16:33
by C
NOW GONE - on its way to a new owner




.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 16:58
by soundchaser
And the winner is...me! Thanks, C, looking forward to receiving it. Cheers!

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 17:26
by Dr. Baron
I’m a fan of this record. It doesn’t have any memorable tunes but I like the dark vibe and the nasty electric piano.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 18:57
by Six String
It was a disappointment for me upon release but friends bought it so I'd hear it from time to time. Then about five years ago I found a used copy in good shape so I decided to get it. I enjoyed it more than I expected but I still don't play it a lot. Second tier Traffic, yes?

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 19:03
by robertff
soundchaser wrote:And the winner is...me! Thanks, C, looking forward to receiving it. Cheers!




Give it a chance, it'll need more than a few plays to get to you. I think I play it more than any other traffic album apart from 'Low Spark ....'


.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 19:04
by robertff
Still Baron wrote: It doesn’t have any memorable tunes.




We'll have to agree to disagree on that.


.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 19:13
by Dr. Baron
robertff wrote:
Still Baron wrote: It doesn’t have any memorable tunes.




We'll have to agree to disagree on that.


.


OK! Agreed!

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 22:48
by trans-chigley express
Dream Gerrard is memorable. Graveyard People is another favourite.

I haven't played in ages and must put it on over Christmas. I agree that it has a certain dark vibe that crosses over from the cover, especially the black inner sleeve with its spooky images in a negative white-on-black style. I'd put it as the equal to Shoot Out but not as good as Low Spak and Barleycorn but that's not a criticism, just a measure of how good those albums are.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 22:52
by C
Six String wrote: Second tier Traffic, yes?


Not to my ears Les

It's up there with Shoot Out and just behind Low Spark and John Barleycorn

As the Baron states, the piano has a dark vibe.

I agree with Rob - the songs are strong - that album just needs a few more plays to click






.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 22:54
by C
trans-chigley express wrote:Dr I'd put it as the equal to Shoot Out but not as good as Low Spak and Barleycorn but that's not a criticism, just a measure of how good those albums are.


I've just read this!

SNAP!

Spot on Ray

Spot on




.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 22:54
by Pool Hall Richard
Graveyard People is my favourite Traffic track. Superb. Sounds like it should be on the soundtrack of some mid 70's London gangster movie.

I have a lot of time for this album.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 23:46
by Dr. Baron
I think it’s definitely better than Shoot Out, the greatest disappointment in their catalog.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 00:59
by elegant chaos (reprise)
I only got around to getting this a year or so back. Found it to be much better than reviews had led me to expect (possibly why my purchase of it lagged 30+yrs behind that of most of the band's others), and I wish I'd bought it years ago.
Especially as I found it reminded me strongly in places of Steve Winwood's first solo release which came out 3 years later in 1977 (and my favourite of his solo works). Particularly "Walking In The Wind", the title track, "Something New", "Graveyard People" and "Dream Gerrard".
Image Steve Winwood, 1977, Island Records
A gem of a record. On reflection it might be appropriate to flip my comparison around and describe this as his solo release that is most reminiscent of his work with Traffic. Worth checking out if you aren't familiar with it.
The sublime "Vacant Chair" from SW's 1977 debut and "Dream Gerrard" were both co-writes with Vivian Stanshall.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 01:12
by Charlie O.
Still Baron wrote:I think it’s definitely better than Shoot Out, the greatest disappointment in their catalog.

Indeed, my learned friend.

Indeed







.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 04:34
by trans-chigley express
elegant chaos (reprise) wrote:I only got around to getting this a year or so back. Found it to be much better than reviews had led me to expect (possibly why my purchase of it lagged 30+yrs behind that of most of the band's others), and I wish I'd bought it years ago.
Especially as I found it reminded me strongly in places of Steve Winwood's first solo release which came out 3 years later in 1977 (and my favourite of his solo works). Particularly "Walking In The Wind", the title track, "Something New", "Graveyard People" and "Dream Gerrard".
Image Steve Winwood, 1977, Island Records
A gem of a record. On reflection it might be appropriate to flip my comparison around and describe this as his solo release that is most reminiscent of his work with Traffic. Worth checking out if you aren't familiar with it.
The sublime "Vacant Chair" from SW's 1977 debut and "Dream Gerrard" were both co-writes with Vivian Stanshall.


It was the Steve Winwood debut solo album that I only got round to buying a year or so back, and I found that to be much better than I was expecting. He adds a bit of funkiness to his sound which I like a lot.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 05:35
by Quaco
Charlie O. wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I think it’s definitely better than Shoot Out, the greatest disappointment in their catalog.

Indeed, my learned friend.

Indeed







.

And yet, it has one of the quintessential Traffic songs in "Evening Blue" and the very slow burn -- took me years to love it -- of "Roll Right Stones".

It takes a year or two to get through the Traffic catalogue, during which you realize beyond a shadow of a doubt that their greatest tracks are "No Face No Name No Number", "Every Mother's Son", "Low Spark" and "Many a Mile to Freedom" (or some other four). Then you have 40 more years of listening, and that's when things like "Roll Right Stones" truly blossom. It is one of my very favorites now.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 07:29
by Dr. Baron
Duly noted, Q.

Duly noted.

Re: When the Eagle Flies

Posted: 08 Jan 2020, 18:27
by Six String
Quaco wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I think it’s definitely better than Shoot Out, the greatest disappointment in their catalog.

Indeed, my learned friend.

Indeed







.

And yet, it has one of the quintessential Traffic songs in "Evening Blue" and the very slow burn -- took me years to love it -- of "Roll Right Stones".

It takes a year or two to get through the Traffic catalogue, during which you realize beyond a shadow of a doubt that their greatest tracks are "No Face No Name No Number", "Every Mother's Son", "Low Spark" and "Many a Mile to Freedom" (or some other four). Then you have 40 more years of listening, and that's when things like "Roll Right Stones" truly blossom. It is one of my very favorites now.


I am giving these tracks a spin now. Evening Blue is sounding pretty good. I was disappointed in Shoot Out (the album) when it came out, especially following Low Spark.