So, Modern Rock Bands.

Do talk back
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

So, Modern Rock Bands.

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2019, 13:53

I'm a self confessed anachronism, and like C, live in a head-space that resides in 1972 or thereabouts. I've got five children, but it's only the youngest that shares my music obsession. But can I drag him into 1972? Can I fuck. Well, occasionally, maybe. He's a rocker, like me, but his points of reference are completely different. So when my wife and I go 'round for an evening with him and his fiance, he treats me to loads of bands I've never heard before. Proof to me that rock isn't dead and has indeed passed onto many safe pairs of hands. Angus and Julia Stone, are a band that have particularly caught my eye.

What modern bands are catching your attention?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: So, Modern Rock Bands.

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2019, 14:14

Libertines. So much that I bought a book about them.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 25 Nov 2019, 19:52

soundchaser wrote:

To set my parameters, what do you mean by "rock" and what do you mean by "modern"? I am not being facetious here - would the White Stripes be either or both of rock and modern? Or Franz Ferdinand?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2019, 20:54

Positive Passion wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

To set my parameters, what do you mean by "rock" and what do you mean by "modern"? I am not being facetious here - would the White Stripes be either or both of rock and modern? Or Franz Ferdinand?

Well, I kind of lost touch with new bands during the 2000s, so whatever you fancy, really. So that’s modern. As for rock, well I’m open to trying out all sorts of things that an old duffer like me might enjoy. I like all sorts of BCB music, so I look forward to your suggestions.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 25 Nov 2019, 21:21

I could give you tons but the truth is I'll get the same comment we always get here.
Oh that sounds like a rip off of ____ 60's -70's or 80's band. I'm so sick of the comment that its not worth posting anything new anymore.
Modern music just like music of the 70's and 80's borrowed from the past and changed a few things.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 25 Nov 2019, 21:24

soundchaser wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

Well, I kind of lost touch with new bands during the 2000s, so whatever you fancy, really. So that’s modern. As for rock, well I’m open to trying out all sorts of things that an old duffer like me might enjoy. I like all sorts of BCB music, so I look forward to your suggestions.

Okay one more q.....how old are you, actually?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2019, 21:47

62. Not too bad, really ;).

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Nov 2019, 22:51

Deerhunter
Alvvays

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Nov 2019, 02:08

I'm a fan of Fat Possum Records (even have a Fat Possum Records T-shirt) ... You might like The Heartless Bastards (great name). I have their CD "The Mountain" and recommend it. We saw The Heartless Bastards in 2009 when they opened for The Decemberists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartless_Bastards

Either band might be interesting.

Fat Possum Records is also where we first became aware of the Black Keys but they are more blues than rock. All this was around ten years ago, so I don't know what you are familiar with today.

We sometimes pick up Mojo and/or Uncut magazines. Their "free CD's" seem to be either very bad or at times have some interesting bands.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Nov 2019, 02:12

You can also check out Wicked Cool Records.

https://wickedcoolrecords.bandcamp.com/
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Nov 2019, 06:58

Hightea wrote:I could give you tons but the truth is I'll get the same comment we always get here.
Oh that sounds like a rip off of ____ 60's -70's or 80's band. I'm so sick of the comment that its not worth posting anything new anymore.
Modern music just like music of the 70's and 80's borrowed from the past and changed a few things.

Yeah, that's fair enough and I'm as guilty as anyone at that. I suppose at my age, it's hard not to find references back.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Nov 2019, 16:00

Mike Boom wrote:Deerhunter

A new band on me and one who may well become a new favourite. I’m sure my son will know them. I’ll check.

So I’m going to watch a full gig when I get the chance.

I streamed Helicopter/He Would Have Laughed. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by soundchaser on 27 Nov 2019, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Nov 2019, 16:12

Just go back over my contributions to the Prog thread - the majority of those will be from fairly modern bands. :D

Some of these have been going for 20 years but in the prog genre that’s fairly young I guess.

Anubis
Mystery
Riverside
Anathema
Sylvan
Moon Safari
Mostly Autumn
The Tea Club
Big Big Train (obvs!)

I’ve got many many more.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Nov 2019, 17:16

Marc Riley tells me I should be grooving to a band called Squid..and I am

Not particularly prog, but if you like your Beefheart, Zappa, funk of Wolfgang Press and particularly 80's noise merchants like Stump then this is for you.
Meaning, it's all been done before.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Nov 2019, 17:26

Lord Rother wrote:Some of these have been going for 20 years but in the prog genre that’s fairly young I guess.

Are you saying we’re Ents? Prog Corner could be an Ent Moot, I guess.

Thanks for your suggestions, I’ll get back to you.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Nov 2019, 09:46

Hightea wrote:I could give you tons but the truth is I'll get the same comment we always get here.

Yomptepi has stopped posting on Prog Corner because he couldn’t handle me posting up modern bands (arse), and those comparisons have pretty much disappeared now.

I’d certainly be interested in your suggestions!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Nov 2019, 10:03

Flower wrote:I'm a fan of Fat Possum Records (even have a Fat Possum Records T-shirt) ... You might like The Heartless Bastards (great name). I have their CD "The Mountain" and recommend it. We saw The Heartless Bastards in 2009 when they opened for The Decemberists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartless_Bastards

Either band might be interesting.

Fat Possum Records is also where we first became aware of the Black Keys but they are more blues than rock. All this was around ten years ago, so I don't know what you are familiar with today.

We sometimes pick up Mojo and/or Uncut magazines. Their "free CD's" seem to be either very bad or at times have some interesting bands.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm listening to Only For You, by The Heartless Bastards right now. Good stuff.

I've got a load of Mojo cover discs(I bought that magazine from issue 1 though to 2008. Like you say, very hit and miss).

This song is great, though:

Last edited by soundchaser on 27 Nov 2019, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Nov 2019, 10:13

The Prof wrote:Marc Riley tells me I should be grooving to a band called Squid..and I am

Not particularly prog, but if you like your Beefheart, Zappa, funk of Wolfgang Press and particularly 80's noise merchants like Stump then this is for you.
Meaning, it's all been done before.

Thanks Prof, I really enjoyed that. A Talking Heads vibe going on, but brilliantly done, for all that.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Nov 2019, 10:22

Lord Rother wrote:Just go back over my contributions to the Prog thread - the majority of those will be from fairly modern bands. :D

Some of these have been going for 20 years but in the prog genre that’s fairly young I guess.

Anubis
Mystery
Riverside
Anathema
Sylvan
Moon Safari
Mostly Autumn
The Tea Club
Big Big Train (obvs!)

I’ve got many many more.

If it's not too much bother, Bob, could you provide a You Tube link to some of your favourite songs on this list.

Thanks.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Nov 2019, 10:48

Manchester Orchestra. Another recommendation of my sons. I really like it:

How about you?