Presence.
3%
In Through The Out Door.
No votes

Total votes: 71

trans-chigley express

Re: Putting Some Led In Your Zeppelin.

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Nov 2019, 08:36

Houses of the Holy has my favourite opening three track sequence of any of their albums even though I didn't give it a vote.

II probably should have got my vote over III but like others have noted above I'm a little burnt out on it, not helped by my older brother playing many of the riffs from that album on his guitar over and over again for days on end when I was growing up :lol: I shouldn't hold that against the record though, which is great of course.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Nov 2019, 12:06

IV, I, III. It may be an unfashionably obvious choice, but Zoso is to my mind pretty perfect.

I still have a LOT of time for II and HotH, PG a step behind.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Nov 2019, 13:54

trans-chigley express wrote:Houses of the Holy has my favourite opening three track sequence of any of their albums even though I didn't give it a vote.

It may be a bit uneven but Houses of the Holy has my favorite Zeppelin moments. Over the Hills, Song Remains the Same, Rain Song, No Quarter.

The thing about Page is his ability to switch from rhythm to lead and back and sometimes it even sounds like he's playing both at the same time.
I've heard bands with three guitarists not sound as full - plus he's a great acoustic player.

The live version of the Song Remains the Same is just phenomenal.
Last edited by Mike Boom on 26 Nov 2019, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Nov 2019, 14:28

Mike Boom wrote:The live version of the Song Remains the Same is just phenomenal.

Robust stuff

It always amuses me when some folk put Bonham and Moon on the same level.

What utter nonsense

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Nov 2019, 16:09

Mike Boom wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Houses of the Holy has my favourite opening three track sequence of any of their albums even though I didn't give it a vote.

It may be a bit uneven but Houses of the Holy has my favorite Zeppelin moments. Over the Hills, Song Remains the Same, Rain Song, No Quarter.

The thing about Page is his ability to with from rhythm to lead and back and sometimes it even sounds like he's playing both at the same time.
I've heard bands with three guitarists not sound as full - plus he's a great acoustic player.

The live version of the Song Remains the Same is just phenomenal.

I love Houses of the Holy, but like Pool Hall Richard, I made my own version of the album, which didn’t go down well here.

It’s the only way I listen to it now, though.

I agree with your views re: Page.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Nov 2019, 11:29

Sneelock wrote:I saw them on "houses of the holy" tour in 73 at the L.A. Forum. I think they did two shows that night so I don't know if the show I saw is the one captured on the "Bonzo's Birthday" boot or not. close enough. guess how it was?

Only the one show - May 31st.

It's a good show but not the best from that first part of the tour (where they really were on fire). The best LA show was 3rd June - featuring a huge "Thank You" to finish the show. If you saw that show, you were very fortunate. Here's the whole thing - as with all the audience recordings from LA that year, the levels settle down after a couple of songs and they're highly enjoyable after that. Normally known as "Three Days After"....

The 31st show (which is indeed the "Bonzo's Birthday" bootleg) is also widely available.

If you can remember if the show finished with "Thank You" or "Communication Breakdown" you'll know which show you attended.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 30 Nov 2019, 13:04

Diamond Dog wrote:

Amazing, thanks! I shall enjoy getting stuck into this one.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Nov 2019, 22:57

Wow, thanks for posting. I’m pretty sure they ended with “communication breakdown” at the show I saw. Thank god for bootlegs! Zep in 73! Holy fuck what a band.
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s no law that says you can’t have heroin AND bagels! It’s not either or!