Presence.
3%
In Through The Out Door.
No votes

Total votes: 71

Mike Boom

Re: Putting Some Led In Your Zeppelin.

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Nov 2019, 12:55

Matt Wilson wrote:He never was sloppy in the studio, Mike.

Right, so he made some mistakes while playing live in some football arena having consumed god knows what, doesn't make him a poor guitarist.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Nov 2019, 14:24

He was a god, and nine out of ten of us know it. He did lift riffs from other guitarists and he wasn't as good live as some of his peers, but that's hardly a patch on his legacy as Zeppelin seem to be the most popular band of the '70s in the minds of most. Just check out any general rock forum online for validation.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 22 Nov 2019, 14:36

Matt Wilson wrote:He was a god, and nine out of ten of us know it. He did lift riffs from other guitarists and he wasn't as good live as some of his peers, but that's hardly a patch on his legacy as Zeppelin seem to be the most popular band of the '70s in the minds of most. Just check out any general rock forum online for validation.

You’ll get no argument from me. Spot on.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Nov 2019, 14:44

It's the truth though isn't it? If the Beatles are the most popular band of the '60s, then it's Zeppelin for the '70s. I look at several online rock forums (and even a couple on Facebook). That seems to be the consensus.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Nov 2019, 15:43

Matt Wilson wrote:He was a god, and nine out of ten of us know it. He did lift riffs from other guitarists and he wasn't as good live as some of his peers, but that's hardly a patch on his legacy as Zeppelin seem to be the most popular band of the '70s in the minds of most. Just check out any general rock forum online for validation.

oh brother thankful to be the 1 in 10. Actually Seeing Led Zep suck in 77 saved me. If I liked that show I would have been a metal head hard rocker and main stream music fan. Instead I went obscure prog, rock and followed down the indie trail of experimental music, I believe it shaped me to like a much broader range of music. I thank my lucky stars that I hated Page's guitar and Plants vocals that night

Like I said before I like Led Zep they are a good band but they are not Rock gods just another good to maybe great 70's band. way over hyped.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Nov 2019, 15:46

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sure you could list some of your fave bands and I would find some of them not to my liking. Nothing is loved by everybody.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Nov 2019, 15:47

Matt Wilson wrote:That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sure you could list some of your fave bands and I would find some of them not to my liking. Nothing is loved by everybody.
absolutely!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Nov 2019, 17:08

Charlie O. wrote:
Muskrat wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It's an exact copy of a solo Jimmy recorded as a session musician for Neil Christian back in the early 60's (I can't remember the title)

:o

I know, I can't believe Pete forgot it either!

Right so I'm getting old and senile. Officially.

It wasn't "Hot Dog" it was "Darlene". And it wasn't Neil Christian, it was Carter Lewis & The Southerners, and the song was "Somebody Told My Girl".

I'd love to say I remembered this in a flash of inspiration but I checked with Andy Adams (who is probably the greatest Zep knowledge compendium on the planet).
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 22 Nov 2019, 17:56

Unsurprisingly, In Through The Out Door is my least favourite Zep album. As I said in my OP, I didn’t get into Led Zeppelin properly until later in the 1970s, so this album would have been the first I bought when it was originally released.For that reason, I have a lot of affection for it, as its flaws were not apparent to me at the time. But I can see them clearly now. Plant’s voice: a real shame. Page M.I.A and a majority of songs that just weren’t good enough (in The Evening was too much of a plodder and I’m Gonna Crawl was their worst blues).

South Bound Suarez. Yeah, merely okay, whilst Hot Dog, although a lot of fun, is just a novelty track. All Of My Love, is a beautiful lament, but I just wish the arrangement was better and the synth sound was horrible (like Rick Wakeman’s around this time). Which just leaves two great songs, for me: Fool In The Rain and Carouselambra. Far from their best work, although I did really like the cover art, for what that’s worth. Like I say, I do have a lot of affection for this album, but that doesn’t disguise the fact that it’s just not very good.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Nov 2019, 16:50

III, IV, VI
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2019, 08:55

I am genuinely surprised at how poorly II is doing

Why is that?

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2019, 09:49

C wrote:I am genuinely surprised at how poorly II is doing

Why is that?

I don't know, I thought it would have been nailed on. A remarkable, landmark rock'n'roll album.

It made my Top 3.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2019, 10:29

soundchaser wrote:

Why is that?

I don't know, I thought it would have been nailed on. A remarkable, landmark rock'n'roll album.

It made my Top 3.

Indeed

Deebank wrote:

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2019, 11:26

Why is that?

Perhaps because everyone knows every single beat off by heart or maybe memory of the god awful drum solo has shifted people's allegiance.

Last edited by robertff on 25 Nov 2019, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Nov 2019, 16:46

The second LP is easily my fave of the first three.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2019, 17:16

Matt Wilson wrote:The second LP is easily my fave of the first three.

Not 'arf lad

Not 'arf!

Deebank wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Nov 2019, 21:23

Why is that?

In the U.S. 5 of the 11 tracks played constantly on FM rock stations. Major burnout problem for me. Same with the first Jimi Hendrix album.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2019, 21:55

Incidentally, I went for I, II and IV

Deebank wrote:

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Nov 2019, 23:57

my knee jerks directly to the first four - I've simply lived with them the longest. after a good session of nail biting & teeth gnashing I settled on 2, 3 & 4. this was very difficult as I really do love that first record.

I met a kid a year or two older than me on my block. we'd eat baloney sandwiches and listen to records. He asked me if I liked Led Zeppelin. I knew "whole lotta love" well from the 90 million times I'd heard it on the radio. He played those first 2 Zeppelin records until we ran out of sandwiches. He let me borrow II but never I. maybe that's part of why I love it so much - who knows.

when IV came out the FM radio played "rock and roll" & "black dog" a lot. the first time I heard "when the levee breaks" I put on my tennis shoes and walked a couple miles to my nearest record store and spent next week's lunch money on the album. it was years before I'd come anywhere near getting tired of it.

by "presence" I had cooled on them a great deal. I love it and PG both, of course. I'm a Zep fan after all. I guess I was listening to too much Zappa at the time or something. Anyway, I came around a few years later because I hadn't worn them down so the tunes were a little fresher for me for a while.

I was always a snob towards ITTOD. I don't know. it just seemed so fucking lazy to me at the time. Bonzo kicking the bucket dug up some good will for "CODA" but just a dab.

I saw them on "houses of the holy" tour in 73 at the L.A. Forum. I think they did two shows that night so I don't know if the show I saw is the one captured on the "Bonzo's Birthday" boot or not. close enough. guess how it was?
"Take THAT you hostile son of a bitch!!!!" - Dr. Sidney Schaffer

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Nov 2019, 07:10

Sneelock wrote:my knee jerks directly to the first four - I've simply lived with them the longest. after a good session of nail biting & teeth gnashing I settled on 2, 3 & 4. this was very difficult as I really do love that first record.

I met a kid a year or two older than me on my block. we'd eat baloney sandwiches and listen to records. He asked me if I liked Led Zeppelin. I knew "whole lotta love" well from the 90 million times I'd heard it on the radio. He played those first 2 Zeppelin records until we ran out of sandwiches. He let me borrow II but never I. maybe that's part of why I love it so much - who knows.

when IV came out the FM radio played "rock and roll" & "black dog" a lot. the first time I heard "when the levee breaks" I put on my tennis shoes and walked a couple miles to my nearest record store and spent next week's lunch money on the album. it was years before I'd come anywhere near getting tired of it.

by "presence" I had cooled on them a great deal. I love it and PG both, of course. I'm a Zep fan after all. I guess I was listening to too much Zappa at the time or something. Anyway, I came around a few years later because I hadn't worn them down so the tunes were a little fresher for me for a while.

I was always a snob towards ITTOD. I don't know. it just seemed so fucking lazy to me at the time. Bonzo kicking the bucket dug up some good will for "CODA" but just a dab.

I saw them on "houses of the holy" tour in 73 at the L.A. Forum. I think they did two shows that night so I don't know if the show I saw is the one captured on the "Bonzo's Birthday" boot or not. close enough. guess how it was?

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.