The end of the road for us old gits

Do talk back
George P. Smackers

Re: The end of the road for us old gits

Postby George P. Smackers » 23 Nov 2019, 01:57

Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do?
No. I'm always finding things. Mostly old (centuries in some cases) but I like new material too.

Do the charts sound alien to you?

Like others here, "the charts" sounding alien to me has coincided perfectly with my interest in music from its origins to now.

Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see?

I don't really care about live popular music. I pretended to enjoy it but never really did. I saw the Kinks, the Who, Bob Dylan etc. when I was young. I really don't remember a thing about it except that it was somewhat unpleasant. Big venues. The loud punk rock shows I saw later weren't much better. I remember gritting my teeth and thinking "this is really great, isn't it? Isn't it?"

Classical's another story. That really can be thrilling. I do think back to when I could have heard jazz greats in the early 1980s in New York at someplace like the Village Vanguard. But even then, they were legacy acts.

As for collecting, I like records and always find them.

Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years?

I've always thought of listening as just doing what I have to do. I love it. But what I had to do when I was 25 is different from what I have to do now. So regrets make no sense.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2019, 02:26

Muskrat wrote:Well, there are the Reprise albums (one of them Japan-only in its original release) and a number of live albums, which are pretty much interchangeable and great.

The Hip-O's are the Reprise albums, IIRC. As for the live albums, I'll take the best, but I think there may be a lot of petrol station non-annotated things on the market, which I don't need.

There was a tribute album, too, which I find is a good supplement to the Fats run.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 23 Nov 2019, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2019, 02:27

George P. Smackers wrote:The loud punk rock shows I saw later weren't much better. I remember gritting my teeth and thinking "this is really great, isn't it? Isn't it?"

:lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck