The Moody Blues: Best Of The Magnificent Seven.

Do talk back

In Search Of The Most Magnificent.

Days Of Future Past.
18%
In Search Of The Lost Chord.
26%
On The Threshold Of A Dream.
15%
To Our Children’s Children’s Children.
18%
A Question Of Balance.
3%
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.
21%
Seventh Sojourn.
No votes

Total votes: 34

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

The Moody Blues: Best Of The Magnificent Seven.

Postby soundchaser » 09 Nov 2019, 16:37

Two choices. Pick the bones out of that. Favourite album. Favourite songs. Favourite writer.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: The Moody Blues: Best Of The Magnificent Seven.

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Nov 2019, 17:19

I'll be the first to cast the Days of Future Past vote. I don't know why that album isn't hailed as a classic.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 09 Nov 2019, 17:37

"In search...", bought purely on the strength of the album cover and my first "progressive" album. Loved "House of 4 doors", Ride my seesaw and Om. Haywards' voice still irks with his gulpy delivery but he was the best songwriter followed by Pinder and then Lodge. Thomas was adequate and the poetry of Edge was, and still is, embarrassing. "On the threshold ", my second choice and then diminishing returns from then onwards. A band who were nowhere near as good as they thought they were.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Nov 2019, 18:36

I’m not ready to cast my vote, but I can instantly rule out A Question Of Balance, which is generally quite a poor album.

I’d go as far as to say that the two Pinder songs are nauseating. Urgh.

I do have a real soft spot for Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, though, which was one of the first albums in my collection.

Tricksy.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Nov 2019, 18:47

I love them all but it is always a no brainier for me
Threshold
Children’s

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Nov 2019, 19:07

C wrote:I love them all but it is always a no brainier for me
Threshold
Children’s

I’m going to have to throw Chord into the mix. A psychedelic classic. So it’s two from three for me.

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Nov 2019, 19:15

I with C, I love them all.

I was the second to vote for Days and maybe the first vote for Every Good Boy.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 09 Nov 2019, 19:19

Flower wrote: and maybe the first vote for Every Good Boy.

I think that album is really underrated.

Deso-lay-TION!

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Nov 2019, 19:22

We saw the Moody Blues around ten years ago, it was a great concert ... except that they didn't perform Go Now, it would've been the perfect last song. I really love that song.

But ~ I might prefer Bessie Banks to the Moody Blues' cover .. just a wee bit, not much but a bit.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Nov 2019, 19:28

soundchaser wrote:I can instantly rule out A Question Of Balance, which is generally quite a poor album.

I do have a real soft spot for Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

I entirely agree on both points

Balance is easily the weakest. EGBDF is overlooked and underrated

For me Threshold is almost a perfect album it runs so fluently and effortlessly. I love every second of it including the 'run-out grooves' at the end.

Lovely to See You, Never Comes the Day and the Have You Heard suite are probably my faves although it is very difficult to leave anything out including In the Beginning and Dear Diary.

With Children's it's virtually the same - every track a winner

Candle of Life, Watching and Waiting and Out and In spring to mind but again, difficult to omit anything.

Two great covers too

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Nov 2019, 20:14

In Search and Days for me.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Nov 2019, 20:28

The real winner would be the double Best Of which is perfectly compiled and contains all their strongest tracks.
The original albums are flawed as there are some duff tracks on all of them but Chord has the mighty Legend Of A Mind and Dream has the wonderful opening of In The Beginning/Lovely To See You and the closing Pinder-triptych Have You Heard?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 09 Nov 2019, 22:20

For me it has to be Threshold; everything works, from the sleeve design to the Sgt Pepper-style no spacing between tracks. Magnetic ink and mellotrons, it’s my no 1.

I’ve recently purchased a vinyl remaster of Search - the price was right- but my no 2 goes to EGBDF. It’s often overlooked but I think it’s a real strong and varied group of songs, with lots of creative playing.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 10 Nov 2019, 11:21

The archetypal Best of will do Band. I fucking hate Go Now. So not even a full Best of either.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Nov 2019, 21:00

Children's is my favorite, as an album. It's the most real to me. "Watching and Waiting" packs a massive punch. Days is almost as good, where, despite the slightly Disneyesque orchestration at times, the songs and vibe are just so good. It's more of a sixties album, rather than a seventies one. It just sounds crisper, more "essential", not a wasted note.

Threshold and Lost Chord are about equal, quite strong throughout. Sojourn and EGBDF are too, in a more mature way. It would be hard for me to put them in any kind of quality order.

I agree Question is the least of the seven.

I like them all, and still listen to them all pretty often.

Hayward was rightly lauded as the best writer. He just has that knack. It's possible that if had to write an album's worth of material each time, that he would be stretched too thin, but as it is, he never wrote a single song that wasn't great for those seven albums.

I definitely tend toward the Pinder side of things. I adore his serious, heavy-handed approach, and don't mind it when he gets a bit "sexy" too ("So Deep Within You"). Lodge has his moments for sure, but is a bit faceless and occasionally produces undistinguished material ("To Share My Love"). Thomas is Thomas. Always positive and nearly always twee, an acquired taste, but a special part of the mix. He's always been the older, uncle-like figure in the band. Edge is an even more acquired taste, but absolutely memorable -- I often find myself saying "cold hahrted orb", "on the threshold of a dreamm" (in that Northern accent), "this garden universe", "there you go man, keep as cool as you can" etc. Great stuff. No band like them, for better or worse -- they definitely had a high naffness factor. And still, on just a songwriting level, they are among the most excellent and consistent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Nov 2019, 22:24

Quaco wrote:Children's is my favorite, as an album. It's the most real to me. "Watching and Waiting" packs a massive punch. Days is almost as good, where, despite the slightly Disneyesque orchestration at times, the songs and vibe are just so good. It's more of a sixties album, rather than a seventies one. It just sounds crisper, more "essential", not a wasted note.

Threshold and Lost Chord are about equal, quite strong throughout. Sojourn and EGBDF are too, in a more mature way. It would be hard for me to put them in any kind of quality order.

I agree Question is the least of the seven.

I like them all, and still listen to them all pretty often.

Hayward was rightly lauded as the best writer. He just has that knack. It's possible that if had to write an album's worth of material each time, that he would be stretched too thin, but as it is, he never wrote a single song that wasn't great for those seven albums.

I definitely tend toward the Pinder side of things. I adore his serious, heavy-handed approach, and don't mind it when he gets a bit "sexy" too ("So Deep Within You"). Lodge has his moments for sure, but is a bit faceless and occasionally produces undistinguished material ("To Share My Love"). Thomas is Thomas. Always positive and nearly always twee, an acquired taste, but a special part of the mix. He's always been the older, uncle-like figure in the band. Edge is an even more acquired taste, but absolutely memorable -- I often find myself saying "cold hahrted orb", "on the threshold of a dreamm" (in that Northern accent), "this garden universe", "there you go man, keep as cool as you can" etc. Great stuff. No band like them, for better or worse -- they definitely had a high naffness factor. And still, on just a songwriting level, they are among the most excellent and consistent.

Great post. Thread closed :).

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 10 Nov 2019, 23:13

never/ever wrote:The real winner would be the double Best Of which is perfectly compiled and contains all their strongest tracks.
The original albums are flawed as there are some duff tracks on all of them

That’s certainly my view!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Nov 2019, 21:05

Side One
"Question" (Justin Hayward) (from A Question of Balance, 1970) – 5:39
"The Actor" (Hayward) (from In Search of the Lost Chord, 1968) – 4:11
"The Word" (Graeme Edge) (spoken poem from In Search of the Lost Chord, remixed over instrumental "Beyond" from To Our Children's Children's Children, 1969) – 0:51
"Eyes of a Child" (John Lodge) (from To Our Children's Children's Children) – 2:34
"Dear Diary" (Ray Thomas) (from On the Threshold of a Dream, 1969) – 3:56
"Legend of a Mind" (Thomas) (from In Search of the Lost Chord) – 6:37

Side Two
"In the Beginning" (Edge) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 2:06
"Lovely to See You" (Hayward) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 2:35
"Never Comes the Day" (Hayward) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 4:39
"Isn't Life Strange" (Edited version) (Lodge) (from Seventh Sojourn, 1972) – 5:32
"The Dream" (Edge) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 0:52
"Have You Heard? (Part 1)" (Mike Pinder) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 1:23
"The Voyage" (Pinder) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 4:08
"Have You Heard? (Part 2)" (Pinder) (from On the Threshold of a Dream) – 2:08

Side Three
"Ride My See-Saw" (Lodge) (from In Search of the Lost Chord) – 3:32
"Tuesday Afternoon" (Hayward) (from Days of Future Passed, 1967) – 4:04
"And the Tide Rushes In" (Thomas) (from A Question of Balance) – 2:54
"New Horizons" (Hayward) (from Seventh Sojourn) – 5:06
"A Simple Game" (Pinder) (B-side to UK "Ride My See-Saw" single, 1968) – 3:18
"Watching and Waiting" (Hayward, Thomas) (from To Our Children's Children's Children) – 4:21

Side Four
"I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)" (Lodge) (from Seventh Sojourn) – 4:11
"For My Lady" (Thomas) (from Seventh Sojourn) – 3:54
"The Story in Your Eyes" (Hayward) (from Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, 1971) – 2:45
"Melancholy Man" (Pinder) (from A Question of Balance) – 5:05
"Nights in White Satin" (Hayward) (from Days of Future Passed) – 4:33
"Late Lament" (Edge, Peter Knight) (from Days of Future Passed) – 2:33

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Nov 2019, 01:30

Yeah, I'm not sure that comp is the way to go. I guess it is if you don't really know the albums that well. Looking over the contents I can see some glaring omissions:

from In Search of the Lost Chord, there's no "Voices in the Sky" and "The Best Way to Travel." Where's "Lazy Day" from On the Threshold of a Dream? "Out and In," and "Gypsy" from To Our Children's... should be there, just like "It's Up to You" from A Question of Balance. Finally, "Lost in a Lost World," and "You and Me" from Seventh Sojourn are missed.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Nov 2019, 04:15

I bought a cheap 5CD collection of 5 of these albums just to give them a good listen as I've never been much of a fan. I remain unconvinced with some good songs interspersed with a fair bit of dull stuff. I certainly like Hayward's songs the most. To Our Children's Children's Children is probably the one I have played the most so chose that in the poll along with Days which I'm more familiar with and always liked.