Jermaine Jackson - "Do What You Do" (1984)

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2019, 02:48

Love this hit ballad by Jermaine Jackson. Like so many hits, it goes straight to the chorus, building up with the words "Why don't you", and then the release - "do what you do..." The secret is in the stringing of the words:

"dowhatchadoowhenyoudidwhatchadid"

- tailing of with "...to me", which takes us to the next line. It just feels good singing along to that.

Why don't you do what you do
When you did what you did to me

It was in the Spring of 1985, I had just arrived in London, and there was my hostel roommate, in bed with his earphones and Walkman, happily singing along to those lines. I thought it was silly then, but I know better now.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: Jermaine Jackson - "Do What You Do" (1984)

Postby soundchaser » 01 Nov 2019, 08:59

You should post a You Tube link for these things, Googa.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2019, 13:28

You're right. Here's the official video, with a bit of gangster nonsense in the beginning:

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 01 Nov 2019, 13:47

Well, the problem he’s got is he’s not his brother.

The chorus isn’t bad, but imagine what that song could have been in the right hands?

So, not one for me.

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 01 Nov 2019, 15:56

soundchaser wrote:Well, the problem he’s got is he’s not his brother.

The chorus isn’t bad, but imagine what that song could have been in the right hands?

So, not one for me.

So you asked him to post the video and then you turn around and say it's not for you? That's terribly rude.

Me and you will go for drinks sometime, eh Googs? couple of colas?
bingleton

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2019, 16:37

Good of you to identify yourself so soon, Coan, so I can put you on ignore again. Now, if you lift my banning on your pharma loser joint, you can have the last sticky drops of my 1½ liter economy-sized Pepsi-Cola. I'll even let you collect the 30 pence deposit on the empty bottle. How about it? :D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2019, 16:40

But back to Jermaine (before we were so rudely interrupted):

Yes, he's no Michael. But he is Jermaine, and just as there are Michael songs, there are also Jermaine songs. This ballad works better with Jermaine, I'd imagine. Michael would make it treacly.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 01 Nov 2019, 23:21

Great single. Takes me back, I was in hospital at the time, early '85, played endlessly on the hospital radio. The 3rd most successful solo Jackson i would assume behind Mike and Janet. Did some okay singles, but thats about it really.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Nov 2019, 19:06

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Great single. Takes me back, I was in hospital at the time, early '85, played endlessly on the hospital radio. The 3rd most successful solo Jackson i would assume behind Mike and Janet. Did some okay singles, but thats about it really.

Listen to "Let's Get Serious", his best one.

Return to “Yakety Yak”