I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25884
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2019, 18:13

I don't know what's come over me, I have bought Led Zeppelin, God help me. Struttin', swaggerin', braggadocio, cock rock Zeppelin. "Finally" is not entirely accurate, I'll admit to owning the fourth, crazy, symbol-titled album on vinyl in my teens. And that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge of that band. And "Whole Lotta Love" and "Kashmir", of course, there was no getting around those two biggies. So there it was, "Led Zeppelin II" in thrift, 1994 remaster, just begging to be bought for a mere 30 pence. I had a gut feeling it might be their best one, and as it is spinning now, I am not at all disappointed. It sounds GREAT. So, can I join the cool kids now?

Image
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8345
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby soundchaser » 08 Oct 2019, 18:50

GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know what's come over me, I have bought Led Zeppelin, God help me. Struttin', swaggerin', braggadocio, cock rock Zeppelin. "Finally" is not entirely accurate, I'll admit to owning the fourth, crazy, symbol-titled album on vinyl in my teens. And that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge of that band. And "Whole Lotta Love" and "Kashmir", of course, there was no getting around those two biggies. So there it was, "Led Zeppelin II" in thrift, 1994 remaster, just begging to be bought for a mere 30 pence. I had a gut feeling it might be their best one, and as it is spinning now, I am not at all disappointed. It sounds GREAT. So, can I join the cool kids now?


No, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction ;). An absolutely classic album, but every Zeppelin album is in its own way. So okay, maybe a step down in quality with the final album, In Through The Out Door, but then again, that has Carouselambra for us prog kids. Zeppelin II is a perfect album, so I’ll be happy to join you in this one. Great score, by the way.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 53578
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby C » 08 Oct 2019, 19:26

GoogaMooga wrote: So, can I join the cool kids now?


Yes Googs you can join me my dear friend.

I love II and consider it their best album. With I and IV not that far behind.

I was never a massive Led Zep fan although I saw them live a few times and am in the audience of the BBC Sessions CD2 which was a fantastic experience in such a tiny venue with front row seats

Image

I am okay up to that point and think the next three are good but a little inconsistent.

I don't think I have heard In Through or Coda.

My little brother was a big fan but not me but you can't go wrong with II particularly for 30 pence









.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25884
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2019, 19:29

Thanks, guys. There is a drum solo on it, but it is so expertly done and well integrated in a song, that I can take it. Plant's mannered wailing takes a little getting used to. But Page, my God, he's fantastic. I always liked him in Yardbirds and as a session guitarist, but here he really cuts loose.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8345
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby soundchaser » 08 Oct 2019, 20:48

GoogaMooga wrote:Thanks, guys. There is a drum solo on it, but it is so expertly done and well integrated in a song, that I can take it. Plant's mannered wailing takes a little getting used to. But Page, my God, he's fantastic. I always liked him in Yardbirds and as a session guitarist, but here he really cuts loose.


Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8345
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby soundchaser » 08 Oct 2019, 20:48

GoogaMooga wrote:Thanks, guys. There is a drum solo on it, but it is so expertly done and well integrated in a song, that I can take it. Plant's mannered wailing takes a little getting used to. But Page, my God, he's fantastic. I always liked him in Yardbirds and as a session guitarist, but here he really cuts loose.


Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 53578
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby C » 08 Oct 2019, 21:07

soundchaser wrote:Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!


soundchaser wrote:Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!


One for each ear!







:D
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8345
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby soundchaser » 08 Oct 2019, 22:39

C wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!


soundchaser wrote:Take a listen to Whole Lotta Love quite loud on headphones...it’ll blow your mind!


One for each ear!


:D



Stereo Baby :lol:.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25884
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: I finally broke down and bought Led Zeppelin II

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2019, 23:55

:lol:

No, make that :lol: :lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck