Nick Cave- Ghosteen

Do talk back
never/ever

Nick Cave- Ghosteen

Postby never/ever » 06 Oct 2019, 10:20

One hour and 12 minutes of a hell of an exorcism of an album.

It's a hard slog if you are not willing to be a part of the healing program Cave has designed here. With words being more that centre stage here and the oftentimes funereal pace and electronic backing drawing up the mists captured in the clip, this is one for the headphones.
I can't say that this one draws me in more than The Skeleton Tree which was far more confrontational but this one emotionally wore me down and as such had a greater impact than any of his previous albums. It's an astonishing album but not one I feel the need to hear over and over again.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

dgs

Re: Nick Cave- Ghosteen

Postby dgs » 07 Oct 2019, 22:05

I listened to it today.

Hard, hard going. Don't think I'll go back to it. Skellington tree was seminal album along with Leonard Cohen an Bowie, it formed a death trilogy that won't be surpassed.

This was too much though.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 07 Oct 2019, 22:25

I listened to it when they debuted it on youtube and liked it a lot. It was late night and perhaps i didnt take it the lyrics so much, as a background listen i thought it nice and chilled. But your reactions suggest if sitting and digesting with all my attention it might be a little hard to bear.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 09 Oct 2019, 15:01

I really want to like it but musically, it's not really going anywhere for me.

Long discordant notes, spoken words of melancholy (I'm assuming the 'Ghostteen' is his son that died).

I dunno.... I'll keep it on in the background but eventually I'll put on something a but more.........uplifting.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Oct 2019, 07:58

Incidentally I read this piece today and found it incredibly moving. Cave is close to what I understand to be a mensch in any case...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-cav ... F1LiTsF.99
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.