"I'm Still Waiting" (1971)

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"I'm Still Waiting" (1971)

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Oct 2019, 22:04

I like Diana Ross solo almost as much as I do The Supremes, and I have no problem with her having left that most famous girl group of all. To me, it's meant double up of goodness. Supremes carried on fine without her, and Miss Ross went on to superstardom. "Surrender" was her third album in little more than a year, and it featured the lovely ballad, "I'm Still Waiting", which was later covered by Courtney Pine. The verses are sugar-sweet and were it only for them, the song would sound like so many other love songs. But then comes the bridge, three lines into the bridge you get the backing singers and I am absolutely floored, it sounds so damn good:

Ooh, I'm waiting
Ooh, still waiting
I'm just a fool
Ooh, I'm a fool
(I'm just a fool to keep waiting)
To keep waiting
(I'm just a fool)
For you
(I'm just a fool)
Ooh, I'm waiting
(I'm just a fool)
I'm still waiting
(I'm just a fool to keep waiting)
For love
(I'm just a fool)
For you
(I'm just a fool)

What an incredible hook, nine times you hear the major note of "fool", nine times in all ! The songwriters knew they had something good, and that it could bear repeating that many times. BAM! Tony Blackburn spun it to #1 in the UK, while it stalled at a disappointing #63 on the Billboard Hot 100. What a shame. Not the first time that quality was better received in Europe than Stateside. The song also has a special resonance for me, because I was listening to Courtney Pine's cover of it in the spring of '91 when I got the news that my dear Godmother had died. I burst into tears immediately, I had never been hit so hard by the sudden passing of a beloved relative.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: "I'm Still Waiting" (1971)

Postby soundchaser » 09 Oct 2019, 13:47

Beautiful song, and memories for me as it was one of my wife's favourites when we started going out in November 1972.

I only have a Diana Ross Greatest hits album: should get more really. My personal favourite, the incredible:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: "I'm Still Waiting" (1971)

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2019, 19:38

soundchaser wrote:Beautiful song, and memories for me as it was one of my wife's favourites when we started going out in November 1972.

I only have a Diana Ross Greatest hits album: should get more really. My personal favourite, the incredible:

That whole album is great - Nile Rodgers - Bernie Edwards
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck