Motown

Do talk back
robertff

Motown

Postby robertff » 07 Sep 2019, 19:14

Anybody been to see the touring show?

My wife and I went to see it a few days ago and we were really looking forward to it. However, I don't know if we just weren't in the mood or something like that but we thought it was pretty poor. In fact, we decided to leave during the interval - just didn't like it.

I always find it a good measure as to how good a performance is by how uncomfortable the seats start to get. Good performances and I rarely notice the seats, unsatisfying performances and the seats become the dominant thing on my mind.

So, anyone seen it, if so, what did you think?

rorebhoy

Re: Motown

Postby rorebhoy » 07 Sep 2019, 23:42

I was the same - was really looking forward to seeing it and came out totally underwhelmed. There were too many gripes for me - there was no sense of any dialogue to tell a story but rather 2 or 3 sentences to introduce the next song...and boy were there a lot of songs. Don't get me wrong I love Motown but this was like having Jive Bunny as the musical director, with no song lasting more than 30 seconds or so. It was just infuriating, and that's before the ole' chestnut of putting songs in the wrong timelines...
Needless to say I thought it could've been better!
On the plus side, the wee guy playing MJ in the Jackson 5 days was dynamite.

robertff

Re: Motown

Postby robertff » 08 Sep 2019, 19:38

Agree with all you say but really just disappointed with the singing in general, Diana Ross/Supremes were poor and the battle between the Four Tops and Temps was irritating to say the least. Considering the exacting dance moves of many of the actual groups the dancing was often out of synch and came across as amateurish. Perhaps, as I said in my previous post, we just weren't in the mood. I'm sure it would have been an enjoyable performance for many who saw it.