Produced by Leonard Cohen

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Produced by Leonard Cohen

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Aug 2019, 17:06

Picked up a Columbia CD from 2006, by a lady named Anjani. Anjani who? - you might ask, I had certainly never heard of her before. I bought it because it had the credit "Produced by Leonard Cohen" featured prominently on the cover, below the title "Blue Alert", AND it was stickered thus as well. I had no idea Leonard Cohen was a producer in his autumn years. Turns out the jazzy album is a co-write between Anjani and Cohen himself. And Anjani was Cohen's muse at that time, girlfriend and longtime backing singer. Now, it is very rare for ANY producer to be credited so prominently, and that makes this CD even more special. It's the third solo outing by this Hawaiian singer, and bears the melancholy hallmarks of vintage Cohen, smokey and matured like a twelve-year old whiskey. Sits nicely alongside jazz vocalists like Diana Krall and Norah Jones.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jeemo

Re: Produced by Leonard Cohen

Postby Jeemo » 24 Aug 2019, 02:16

she produced a couple of tracks on Cohens earlier album Dear Heather.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 24 Aug 2019, 02:33

Why does putting Cohen's name on the front as producer make it special? It's just marketing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Aug 2019, 02:55

Jeemo wrote:she produced a couple of tracks on Cohens earlier album Dear Heather.

Interesting fact, thanks. (I should read liner notes more.)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Aug 2019, 02:56

Hugh wrote:Why does putting Cohen's name on the front as producer make it special? It's just marketing.

What I wrote - it's just a very rare occurrence. Did it work on me? I doubt I'd have noticed it otherwise.