Van Dyke Parks

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Van Dyke Parks

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Aug 2019, 01:02

"Clang Of The Yankee Reaper" by Van Dyke Parks. His most commercial record, with exotic calypso rhythms, self-assured backing singers, and good arrangements all around. Easy on the ear, kind to the ear, kind and candy-like. It's a five star stone-cold classic, is what it is. "Song Cycle" was not for me, but this baby lies somewhere between the apex of "SMiLE" and the nostalgic and very stylish élan of "Orange Crate Art". It's not dusty at all, nor is it self-indulgent. It's just a beautiful thing that is hard to pigeonhole. As should be. Mine is the lovely 1999 Ryko.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

pcqgod

Re: Van Dyke Parks

Postby pcqgod » 14 Aug 2019, 02:33

I love 'Song Cycle;' haven't heard this one. Definitely want to give it a listen some day.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 14 Aug 2019, 12:26

I am a real VDP aficionado.

Have all his albums, and I also love the LPs he's associated with. Some examples from both categories:

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 Aug 2019, 13:25

Yes, I should listen more to VDP. I love his writing on SMiLE and Orange Crate Art, so I will make the effort.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Aug 2019, 13:44

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:I am a real VDP aficionado.

Have all his albums, and I also love the LPs he's associated with. Some examples from both categories:

Nice lot, there! Only seen the Stay Awake and the Popeye before.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 14 Aug 2019, 15:34

Hi there Googa -

IIRC he was present on several more Hal Willner productions (apart from Lost In The Stars and Stay Awake. And, perhaps needless to say, he did the arranging and producing for Inara George (An Invitation) and Joanna Newsom (Ys). I hope someday someone will put together a complete VDP discography, and, a personal wish, an elaborate boxed set with rare material and a fine book too.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.