What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Do talk back
Footy
Filler

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Footy » 06 Aug 2019, 14:54

I was involved in making the tour t-shirts for Freak Power in '94 8-) :lol:
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

GarGar90s

Postby GarGar90s » 07 Aug 2019, 12:27

Deebank wrote:Just this minute had a '90s claim to fame' - sort of.

I was just pinged a notification that Paul Draper is now following me on Twitter.
I had to check but he is/was the singer in 90s sensations Mansun.

I have no fucking clue why this happened but he joins a growing list of the famous following me including (and strictly limited to) John Otway and Gerald Casale! Although these two were returning the 'favour' of me following them. The Mansun bloke is a total bolt from the blue. Mansun were a bit crap - apart from Wide Open Space which has its charms and a great guitar solo.

Another 90s claim to fame is that James frontman Tim Booth once lent me his megaphone (bullhorn) for a gig. The band I was in did a cover of Diana Ross's Upside Down - sung using the bullhorn a la Mark E Smith.

Booth was recording or rehearsing at a studio in Brighton where my bandmate worked and overheard us discussing where we could source a megaphone. He chipped in that we could borrow his. Nice man.

I returned the item to him in his flat in Regency Square - he came to the door in his dressing gown and slippers. I had to be quiet because his young kid(s) had just gone to bed. ROCK AND ROLL!

I can't say that I'm much of a fan of James - beyond their ealy singles and Peel Sessions but he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow.

Wow! That's an awesome set of claims to fame. Fancy a quick chat on our 90s podcast about it? Pre-recorded and very informal, just for fun. We're recording this afternoon and possibly over the next couple of days - let me know!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 12:54

GarGar90s wrote:
Deebank wrote:Just this minute had a '90s claim to fame' - sort of.

I was just pinged a notification that Paul Draper is now following me on Twitter.
I had to check but he is/was the singer in 90s sensations Mansun.

I have no fucking clue why this happened but he joins a growing list of the famous following me including (and strictly limited to) John Otway and Gerald Casale! Although these two were returning the 'favour' of me following them. The Mansun bloke is a total bolt from the blue. Mansun were a bit crap - apart from Wide Open Space which has its charms and a great guitar solo.

Another 90s claim to fame is that James frontman Tim Booth once lent me his megaphone (bullhorn) for a gig. The band I was in did a cover of Diana Ross's Upside Down - sung using the bullhorn a la Mark E Smith.

Booth was recording or rehearsing at a studio in Brighton where my bandmate worked and overheard us discussing where we could source a megaphone. He chipped in that we could borrow his. Nice man.

I returned the item to him in his flat in Regency Square - he came to the door in his dressing gown and slippers. I had to be quiet because his young kid(s) had just gone to bed. ROCK AND ROLL!

I can't say that I'm much of a fan of James - beyond their ealy singles and Peel Sessions but he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow.

Wow! That's an awesome set of claims to fame. Fancy a quick chat on our 90s podcast about it? Pre-recorded and very informal, just for fun. We're recording this afternoon and possibly over the next couple of days - let me know!

Hello! Who are you and how did you find out about BCB, if you don’t mind me asking?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Aug 2019, 13:34

^^ Yes, It would be fun to know.
soundchaser wrote: The actual song was pretty good, if you overlook the singing.

GarGar90s

Postby GarGar90s » 07 Aug 2019, 14:13

I'm UK-based, in the East Midlands, although currently in Southern Spain where I record most of the podcasts with my brother who lives here. Found out about BCB through an online search for music forums.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 14:38

In SPAIN eh?

Any thoughts on TOFU?

:D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 17:25

What’s the name of your podcast? We do one too. I’d like to listen to yours!

Dr Markus wrote:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Aug 2019, 20:49

Stephen Malkmus of Pavement proclaimed our band emblematic of NYC in the 90s:

"strange memories—
this was a time of COP SHoot COp, STP , FLY ASHTRAY, LOVE CHILD, SURGERY, dust-devils era MAX FISH….."

(his apparently random caps, not mine)

Not to suggest that we were actually any good, mind you. :)

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/sasha ... rns-twenty
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Aug 2019, 03:17

Snarf wins.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GarGar90s

Postby GarGar90s » 08 Aug 2019, 09:48

Minnie the Minx wrote:What’s the name of your podcast? We do one too. I’d like to listen to yours!

Brilliant :) We are http://www.radiogargar.co.uk How about yours?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Aug 2019, 12:25

Dr Markus wrote:

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 Aug 2019, 20:43

I was on Beavis and Butthead.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Aug 2019, 02:52

bobzilla77 wrote:I was on Beavis and Butthead.

Ooooh!

A Watt video?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Aug 2019, 05:45

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 22 Aug 2019, 21:56

So many, but my MOST '90s moment was probably the time I had an orgy with the cast of Home Improvement atop a pile of Beanie Babies while a Furbee karaoked the entire Dishwalla songbook by the light of the Branch Davidian compound burning down.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 27 Aug 2019, 23:15

I had a joint birthday party with three friends, one of them was the girl about whom ‘Creep’ was written. Even more excitingly, I crashed a Torvill & Dean end of tour party.

(Edit: not on the same night, obvs)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 31 Aug 2019, 18:31

I was in a music pub quiz in Camden around 1995 with the band I was managing (who never got anywhere beyond being played on Capital Radio). In this pub music quiz, somehow half the band ended up on one team and me and the other half on another.

My team also had most of the band Lush. Back in those days, I thought I could drink most anyone on the planet under the table, but those girls Miki and Emma were several pints ahead of me, doing shots, and laughing at my slurred contributions.

We won too. I still remember the winning tie-breaker question - what band was Sid Vicious in before the Sex Pistols, the band's name later appearing as the title of a Public Image Ltd album?

Happy days.
And now for an update on today's Shitty Brexit News...

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 31 Aug 2019, 23:22

Thom Yorke played my brothers guitar when they were both at a party, while they were at Exeter university. Not sure if this was the same party Polishgirl was talking about above.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.