What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Do talk back
User avatar
Footy
Filler
Posts: 13686
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:57
Location: Lost in the supermarket

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Footy » 06 Aug 2019, 14:54

I was involved in making the tour t-shirts for Freak Power in '94 8-) :lol:
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

GarGar90s
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 14:29

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby GarGar90s » 07 Aug 2019, 12:27

Deebank wrote:Just this minute had a '90s claim to fame' - sort of.

I was just pinged a notification that Paul Draper is now following me on Twitter.
I had to check but he is/was the singer in 90s sensations Mansun.

I have no fucking clue why this happened but he joins a growing list of the famous following me including (and strictly limited to) John Otway and Gerald Casale! Although these two were returning the 'favour' of me following them. The Mansun bloke is a total bolt from the blue. Mansun were a bit crap - apart from Wide Open Space which has its charms and a great guitar solo.



Another 90s claim to fame is that James frontman Tim Booth once lent me his megaphone (bullhorn) for a gig. The band I was in did a cover of Diana Ross's Upside Down - sung using the bullhorn a la Mark E Smith.

Booth was recording or rehearsing at a studio in Brighton where my bandmate worked and overheard us discussing where we could source a megaphone. He chipped in that we could borrow his. Nice man.

I returned the item to him in his flat in Regency Square - he came to the door in his dressing gown and slippers. I had to be quiet because his young kid(s) had just gone to bed. ROCK AND ROLL!

I can't say that I'm much of a fan of James - beyond their ealy singles and Peel Sessions but he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow.



Wow! That's an awesome set of claims to fame. Fancy a quick chat on our 90s podcast about it? Pre-recorded and very informal, just for fun. We're recording this afternoon and possibly over the next couple of days - let me know!

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30446
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 12:54

GarGar90s wrote:
Deebank wrote:Just this minute had a '90s claim to fame' - sort of.

I was just pinged a notification that Paul Draper is now following me on Twitter.
I had to check but he is/was the singer in 90s sensations Mansun.

I have no fucking clue why this happened but he joins a growing list of the famous following me including (and strictly limited to) John Otway and Gerald Casale! Although these two were returning the 'favour' of me following them. The Mansun bloke is a total bolt from the blue. Mansun were a bit crap - apart from Wide Open Space which has its charms and a great guitar solo.



Another 90s claim to fame is that James frontman Tim Booth once lent me his megaphone (bullhorn) for a gig. The band I was in did a cover of Diana Ross's Upside Down - sung using the bullhorn a la Mark E Smith.

Booth was recording or rehearsing at a studio in Brighton where my bandmate worked and overheard us discussing where we could source a megaphone. He chipped in that we could borrow his. Nice man.

I returned the item to him in his flat in Regency Square - he came to the door in his dressing gown and slippers. I had to be quiet because his young kid(s) had just gone to bed. ROCK AND ROLL!

I can't say that I'm much of a fan of James - beyond their ealy singles and Peel Sessions but he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow.



Wow! That's an awesome set of claims to fame. Fancy a quick chat on our 90s podcast about it? Pre-recorded and very informal, just for fun. We're recording this afternoon and possibly over the next couple of days - let me know!


Hello! Who are you and how did you find out about BCB, if you don’t mind me asking?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10709
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Samoan » 07 Aug 2019, 13:34

^^ Yes, It would be fun to know.
“I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about – and I’m not sure you do either."

GarGar90s
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 14:29

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby GarGar90s » 07 Aug 2019, 14:13

I'm UK-based, in the East Midlands, although currently in Southern Spain where I record most of the podcasts with my brother who lives here. Found out about BCB through an online search for music forums.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30446
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 14:38

In SPAIN eh?


Any thoughts on TOFU?

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30446
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2019, 17:25

What’s the name of your podcast? We do one too. I’d like to listen to yours!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53361
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Aug 2019, 20:49

Stephen Malkmus of Pavement proclaimed our band emblematic of NYC in the 90s:

"strange memories—
this was a time of COP SHoot COp, STP , FLY ASHTRAY, LOVE CHILD, SURGERY, dust-devils era MAX FISH….."

(his apparently random caps, not mine)

Not to suggest that we were actually any good, mind you. :)

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/sasha ... rns-twenty
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43563
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Still Baron » 08 Aug 2019, 03:17

Snarf wins.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GarGar90s
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 14:29

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby GarGar90s » 08 Aug 2019, 09:48

Minnie the Minx wrote:What’s the name of your podcast? We do one too. I’d like to listen to yours!


Brilliant :) We are http://www.radiogargar.co.uk How about yours?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30446
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: What's Your 90s Claim to Fame?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Aug 2019, 12:25

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?