Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 53929
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby C » 18 Oct 2019, 19:04

Quaco wrote:The only problem with being SW and getting a chance to remix and remaster great albums like Stand Up and Aqualung is that eventually you'll have to do Stormwatch.

:mrgreen:


That's a bit hard Jim-lad. there are many very robust tracks on the said platter

Here's a couple:









.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Oct 2019, 13:03

Am only through Disc 2 "Associated Recordings" so far and wow, there is some great stuff here. The full 9 min plus version of Orion, which has always been a favorite off the album, is absolutely astounding. Talk about epic! Its hard to believe that some of these tracks have never been released before Urban Apocalypse , Man of God, A Single Man are all great and could have easily gone on the album had they fitted the overall theme. And a cracking live version of Sweet Dream to boot!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 53929
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby C » 22 Oct 2019, 14:55

Mike Boom wrote:Am only through Disc 2 "Associated Recordings" so far and wow, there is some great stuff here. The full 9 min plus version of Orion, which has always been a favorite off the album, is absolutely astounding. Talk about epic! Its hard to believe that some of these tracks have never been released before Urban Apocalypse , Man of God, A Single Man are all great and could have easily gone on the album had they fitted the overall theme. And a cracking live version of Sweet Dream to boot!


Sounds great - thanks for the feedback






.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope
Posts: 16224
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 16:36
Location: ,Location, Location

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Corporate whore » 22 Oct 2019, 14:57

Is this in the shops now? I heard that the release had been delayed,
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 53929
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby C » 22 Oct 2019, 14:59

Corporate whore wrote:Is this in the shops now? I heard that the release had been delayed,


15th November in UK



.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope
Posts: 16224
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 16:36
Location: ,Location, Location

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Corporate whore » 22 Oct 2019, 15:04

Cheers - it was meant to be last Friday.
Image

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40534
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Oct 2019, 19:23

If you can't wait...

(I haven't listened to it yet)
Image

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3749
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Oct 2019, 19:49

Charlie O. wrote:If you can't wait...

(I haven't listened to it yet)


Not quite sure how you obtain from that site. Do you need to sign up/be a member? Looks like it might already have been removed.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40534
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Oct 2019, 20:05

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:If you can't wait...

(I haven't listened to it yet)

Not quite sure how you obtain from that site. Do you need to sign up/be a member? Looks like it might already have been removed.

No, just click on "FLAC" or "320" (mp3s) under the album cover, and that will open a Filecrypt page of download links. (Note: when you first click anywhere on the Filecrypt page, it will open a new Filecrypt tab and the first one will turn into an annoying but harmless ad.)
Image

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3749
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Oct 2019, 21:33

Charlie O. wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:If you can't wait...

(I haven't listened to it yet)

Not quite sure how you obtain from that site. Do you need to sign up/be a member? Looks like it might already have been removed.

No, just click on "FLAC" or "320" (mp3s) under the album cover, and that will open a Filecrypt page of download links. (Note: when you first click anywhere on the Filecrypt page, it will open a new Filecrypt tab and the first one will turn into an annoying but harmless ad.)


Superb Sir, many thanks 8-)

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30036
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Oct 2019, 14:22

Charlie is the man, isn't he?

Mine came last night. I'll play it after work today.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Oct 2019, 14:43

The early 12 min version of Dark Ages is way better than the album version too.
I can only assume it being 1978/79 that it was just a sign of the times that they edited these songs down, they make much more sense in all their full length glory. They should have kept them intact and left off a couple of the lesser songs.

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10245
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 24 Oct 2019, 07:07

Quaco wrote:The only problem with being SW and getting a chance to remix and remaster great albums like Stand Up and Aqualung is that eventually you'll have to do Stormwatch.

:mrgreen:


Funny, but as you know,
he only remixes albums he really likes!
As an ex. he only remixed the first two ELP
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Quaco » 24 Oct 2019, 15:32

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Quaco wrote:The only problem with being SW and getting a chance to remix and remaster great albums like Stand Up and Aqualung is that eventually you'll have to do Stormwatch.

:mrgreen:


Funny, but as you know,
he only remixes albums he really likes!
As an ex. he only remixed the first two ELP

That is interesting - I didn't know that!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18286
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Oct 2019, 05:17

Stormwatch is not an album I've warmed to. Dun Ringill is the only track I can recall off the top of my head, although that track is pretty good.

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10245
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 25 Oct 2019, 10:00

Quaco wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Quaco wrote:The only problem with being SW and getting a chance to remix and remaster great albums like Stand Up and Aqualung is that eventually you'll have to do Stormwatch.

:mrgreen:


Funny, but as you know,
he only remixes albums he really likes!
As an ex. he only remixed the first two ELP

That is interesting - I didn't know that!


more info here! https://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html
"
Q: What does it take beyond money to get you interested in a remix project?

W: I’ve got to love the album and people involved. It’s as simple as that. I get invited to do a lot of stuff, believe me. I did two Emerson, Lake and Palmer albums, but I’ve chosen not to do any more of their records because I can’t honestly say I love them. I didn’t feel as connected to them as the King Crimson or Jethro Tull albums. So, Jakko Jakszyk will be doing the next two for ELP and he’ll do a great job. Going forward, I’m only going to do things I genuinely really, really love. The main thing about doing them for me is what I learn from the process. I really have learned a lot from working on these records. I absolutely love the King Crimson, Jethro Tull and XTC records I’m doing now. I grew up with them. I know those records better than the bands do. That’s an obvious thing to say because those guys haven’t listened to most of those records since they made them. No-one listens to their own records."
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Powehi
Posts: 1157
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Powehi » 25 Oct 2019, 10:01

Just getting back into Ver Mighty Tull after pretty much giving up on them after Heavy Horses and more recently a two-decade gap of barely listening to them at all. Barring the odd mis-step, that run of nine albums from Stand Up to HH is as good as it gets though.