RIP Johnny Clegg

Do talk back
never/ever

RIP Johnny Clegg

Postby never/ever » 16 Jul 2019, 21:11

One of the biggest musical ambassadors of South Africa , passed away yesterday at the age of 66.

Clegg and his bands, Juluka and Savuka had been instrumental in crossing over between traditional rhythms, mbaqanga and pop into a highly popular, political means to combat apartheid and racism in his own country in an international level.

Having seen him play live several times over three decades and met him in Adelaide once, he has been a terrific musician, passionate activist and uncompromising critic of injustice that moved many well beyond his own countries borders.

Asimbonanga remains a brilliant anthem.

RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

C
Robust

Re: RIP Johnny Clegg

Postby C » 16 Jul 2019, 23:31

That's really sad.

Born in Lancashire - I have some of his albums (with Savuka) and saw him a couple of times in the late 80s.

A great dancer, voice and guitar player - his concerts were always full of fun

Three months younger than me. Sad

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jul 2019, 23:41

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2019, 18:32

I found this very moving

Recognition
Clegg was awarded the Chevalier des Arts et Lettres (Knight of Arts and Letters) by the French Government in 1991.
In 2004, he was voted 23rd in the SABC3's Great South Africans.
In 2007, Clegg received an honorary doctorate in music from the University of the Witwatersrand.
In 2011, Clegg received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from City University of New York School of Law.
In 2012, Clegg received the Order of Ikhamanga,Silver as part of the National Orders ceremony. This award is the highest honour a citizen can receive in South Africa. It was presented by President Jacob Zuma.
In 2012, Clegg received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA.
In 2013, Clegg received an honorary Doctorate in Music from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
In 2015, Clegg was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
In 2018, Clegg received an Honorary Doctorate of Philosophy Degree in Visual and Performing Arts from the Durban University of Technology alongside his Juluka bandmate, Sipho Mchunu

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jul 2019, 19:28

Amandla Johnny and RIP

Saw him in 88 because my house mate Wandasamusi Ndsiba demanded I accompany him to the show.

It was incredibly emotional to watch all those South African exiles and expats communing, Nkosi Sikele' iAfrica brought me out in goose bumps, sung by band and audience
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2019, 19:55

I saw Johnny a couple of times around that time too

A great voice, an accomplished guitarist and, in particular, a superb dancer

RIP The White Zulu

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Jul 2019, 21:14

C wrote:That's really sad.

Born in Lancashire - I have some of his albums (with Savuka) and saw him a couple of times in the late 80s.

A great dancer, voice and guitar player - his concerts were always full of fun

Three months younger than me. Sad

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Jul 2019, 21:16

I just that 'African' jangly guitar throughout

And penetrating bass line in abundance

bouncebouncebounce

oooofness by the shed-load

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Jul 2019, 21:54

Ever since I got a copy of the first Indestructible Beat Of Soweto-album I have been hooked on mbaqanga. Clegg did an unforgettable show in (I think) 1987 in The Hague where he had a whole field of pale Dutchmen go wild with excitement when he started to pump that rhythm out.

Think I'll pop on Scatterlings now.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”