RIP Dave Bartholomew

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

RIP Dave Bartholomew

Postby Muskrat » 23 Jun 2019, 20:35

Lived to 100

Best known for collaborating on an extraordinary string of hits with Fats Domino between 1949 and 1963 – amassing more than one hundred entries on the pop and R&B charts during that span of time – Bartholomew was one of the primary architects of the sound now known as rock and roll.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: RIP Dave Bartholomew

Postby Muskrat » 23 Jun 2019, 23:22

Good Dave interview

I didn’t need nobody. I did it myself. But I helped everybody. Nobody come out of New Orleans the last 30 years that I didn’t help. I brought Allen Toussaint in. It was never released but we cut him. And Fats Domino. He was one of the greatest artists of all time.

I did every god damn thing! I wrote the music. I played the music. I put the band together. I recorded the music. I mastered it. It took me 40 years to get here. Who knows where I’ll be when I’m 100? It might take me another 100 years to do it again.”
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Jun 2019, 03:50

I remember when Fats died I said something like "he had as good a claim on 'inventing' rock & roll as anybody.'"

Dave had at least as good a claim as Fats.

And somehow it still feels like faint praise, almost.

R.I.P., Mr. Bartholomew.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jun 2019, 08:39

Dave and Fats sure made history in 49. But Dave was active even before, and during his 15 year musical partnership with Fats, he recorded with a who's who of R&B on the side. He deserves more credit.

RIP
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 Jun 2019, 20:59

Great man, should've been more recognised.

RIP
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Jun 2019, 21:45

To quote Fats "Ain't That A Shame." :oops: RIP