RIP, Roger Kynard "Roky" Erickson

Do talk back
Charlie O.

RIP, Roger Kynard "Roky" Erickson

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2019, 23:56

No cause of death given as of yet. Most would say he was lucky to make it to 71.

One of my heroes since I was 15.

RIP, Roky! Hopefully all those songs about Lucifer won't be counted against you! :)

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/roky-erickson-legendary-psychedelic-musician-dies-at-71-1203230465/

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: RIP, Roger Kynard "Roky" Erickson

Postby Still Baron » 01 Jun 2019, 00:15

He certainly did better than anyone could’ve ever expected or hoped. I don’t know what to say. Along with the Piper Floyd, those Elevators records are peerless. “Fire,” in the modern parlance. It’s a sad feeling to imagine the world without him, but on the other hand, you gotta figure he got everything out of this life he was gonna get.

RIP
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 01 Jun 2019, 01:25

We're gonna miss him.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Jun 2019, 02:36

Awwww, no!

I was lucky enough to see him here 10 years ago with, among others, Livet, Guy E, Hatz and Pillowz and Mrs. SG (sorry if I've left anyone out!).

I remember it was when I was recuperating from having my neck broken (long story, upshot is I'm okay) and I had my neck brace and cane, so we were given a nice spot in the balcony.

I had only recently come to learn that he didn't actually write those Elevators songs he sang, and and it was understandable, if a little disappointing, that he didn't perform many of them.

The painkillers and a few drinks actually got the better of me that night, and I don't remember the show with perfect clarity, but it was thrilling to be in the same room with him performing.

Dunno if her ever did come down...

RIP
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Jun 2019, 03:27

Very sad, he was a hero to me, too. His life story would make a helluva biopic, but I doubt it would ever get made, as people might understandably object to that, given his mental illness. The way he avoided being drafted by letting himself be committed to a mental hospital, where he really did lose his mind. The Elevators songs, the comeback albums, all the stuff of legend. An outstanding psych rocker whose complete works I recommend highly. I was lucky to see him twice in small venues, both occasions to remember and treasure. At one point he lived with his mother, and he'd play Godzilla videos silent and have ELO on the stereo full blast at the same time. Now, that is cool. RIP Roky Erickson
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Jun 2019, 03:51

RIP Roky. So Sad been a fan of Roky a long time from his Elevator songs to his solo. Best Halloween songs mostly because they were really in his head. Rough life hope he is in a better place. Got to see him a number of times over the past 12 years. Was shocked when I saw him in Brooklyn 07 that it was his first time playing in NYC(actually anywhere outside of Texas and Cali).

Roky 07 Southpaw Brooklyn

Roky Erickson and Okkervil [email protected] Hall 5/25/10

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 01 Jun 2019, 03:54

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Jun 2019, 04:12

Shit...

:(
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 01 Jun 2019, 05:46

King Coffey on FB wrote:I'm still processing all this.

For a few years in the 90s, I spent a fair amount of time with the greatest musical force to ever come out of Texas. Roky Erickson.

He was blessed with the best set of pipes to come from our great state (tied with Janis, maybe. And Gary). Played guitar, wrote amazing songs. Helped invent a whole genre of music of we now call "psychedelic". But really he was just a true artist. He loved music and lived it.

When I began discovering punk rock, I realized that there was already a deep Texas tradition we could draw upon. The 13th Floor Elevators were so undeniable. So out there. So Texan. It wasn't inventing the wheel for a Fort Worth kid in the 80s. We have already had our own history.

And damn, Roky's solo recordings from the punk era were so vital as well. Essential. Intense. He was able to channel his vision and voice into a new era and start a new chapter.

In the early 90s, I started a record label to support Texas artists that I loved. By a fluke, I was asked if I wanted to do a new Roky Erickson record. I never had an easier question to answer in all my life. Yes, oh my God, yes. He was why I was even in this position in the first place. He invented Texas punk. He meant so much to me.

I've never been so close to a genius. Yet, it came with a trade-off. At that point in his life, he was dealing with untreated schizophrenia. It was grueling. A complete, worse than you can imagine, monster. And he was struggling. My friends and I spent a lot of time with him, however. We did our best. As did he. Those times together are some of the favorite moments in this life, even as hard as they were.

Thankfully - and oh my god, thankfully, he was supported by an amazing, loving family who turned his life around. His well being and surroundings improved vastly by the late 90s.

Sigh. I'm so glad he was able to share his gift with us for as long as he could. I know it wasn't easy. Thank you so much, Rok. You are a god. We venerate you. Forever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Jun 2019, 06:37

Just bought a first printing of a 13th Floor Elevators poster from 1966, the first time they played in San Francisco at the Avalon Ballroom as presented by Chet Helms, another proud Texan. The least I could do to commemorate Roky's passing. These deaths usually don't phase me, but tonight... I dunno...

I'm getting old.

EDIT: Canceled the order. It's actually in poor condition when it was advertised as near mint. Damn, I wanted an-honest-to-God 13th Floor Elevators poster from the '60s too.
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 04 Jun 2019, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 01 Jun 2019, 09:41

Oh darn.

The Elevators were such a primal band and Roky, its Major Tom. Always envisioned him sneaking off this planet and now he finally did.

RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 01 Jun 2019, 11:02

I'd recommend Eye Mind if anyone wants to read up on 13th. Terrifically written and researched book about the band and the sad aftermath.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 01 Jun 2019, 11:04

No! Poor Roky. What a talent he was.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 01 Jun 2019, 17:45

Dang, "Slip Inside This House" just came up on shuffle last night, what an incredible song it is, amazing lyrics and what a singer. RIP

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Jun 2019, 18:16

A seismic loss for the Texas rock community, no doubt. I think I preferred him "solo," tbh.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jun 2019, 04:32

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'd recommend Eye Mind if anyone wants to read up on 13th. Terrifically written and researched book about the band and the sad aftermath.

Seconded. Probably the most remarkable biography of a band I'd read until Lewissohn's Beatles book subsequently came out.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Jun 2019, 18:04

Yes, the book is great. A perfect addition to the Sign of the 3 Eyed Men box.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Jun 2019, 20:41

He was a big guy to me. Felt his loss keenly and listened to "I had to tell you" a lot this weekend.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.