Isaac Hayes' symphonic soul

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Isaac Hayes' symphonic soul

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 May 2019, 04:12

Picked up a Stax CD comp, "Instrumentals", by the great Isaac Hayes. But what's this? An instro comp of Ike's with no "Theme from Shaft"? The instro with the wicked wah wah guitar riff that netted him an Oscar? When I was a little boy, I went electric when I heard that one. But it ain't on here. And you know what? It doesn't matter. For Ike was a genius. He took symphonic soul to new levels. Simply sublime orchestration, where only Barry White's Love Unlimited Orchestra got anywhere close. And what we have here is a baker's dozen of these instros, masterful grooves like the opener, "Hung Up on My Baby", with the coolest bass run I have ever heard. So strident, so loping, so... masterful. Isaac Hayes and his band Hot Buttered Soul were like nothing that had gone before. Take an established idea like orchestral soul - think Drifters' "There Goes My Baby" - and then expand on that idea with the most mind-blowing results. Fertile ground, the first half of the 1970s.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Isaac Hayes' symphonic soul

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 May 2019, 10:28

You shouldn't have to get this. Marketing ploy.

What you should do is buy all his regular albums.

Genius.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 May 2019, 11:17

Walk In My Shadow wrote:You shouldn't have to get this. Marketing ploy.

What you should do is buy all his regular albums.

Genius.

I disagree. There are two exclusives on this one for the completists, and moreover, there is something to be said for having so many great instros on one album.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 31 May 2019, 11:46

Theme from Shaft isn't an instrumental. Hence its non appearance on a compilation of instrumentals.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 May 2019, 18:37

Jeemo wrote:Theme from Shaft isn't an instrumental. Hence its non appearance on a compilation of instrumentals.

You're right, don't know what I was thinking there. Actually, there is at least one instro on the CD with some backing vocals only.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 31 May 2019, 23:34

Jeemo wrote:Theme from Shaft isn't an instrumental. Hence its non appearance on a compilation of instrumentals.

Pedant! :lol:
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 31 May 2019, 23:38

Muskrat wrote:

Pedant! :lol:

I think you'll find that Isaac preferred very large pendant decorative style adornments. Oh right.....
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 01 Jun 2019, 02:14

Jeemo wrote:
I think you'll find that Isaac preferred very large pendant decorative style adornments. Oh right.....

:roll:
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Jun 2019, 03:35

So I made a glaring mistake. Savor the moment. ;)