Doris Day RIP

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Doris Day RIP

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2019, 15:07

Actress and singer Doris Day has died, aged 97. She was the clean and wholesome face of postwar American optimism, equally successful in recording pop vocal and acting in big Hollywood musicals and romantic comedies. Born in 1922, she first hit big with "Sentimental Journey" in 1945, which she recorded with Les Brown and His Orchestra. That song became an anthem at the close of WWII, much like "We'll Meet Again" had been for Vera Lynn. Another signature song of hers that everyone will remember fondly is "Que Sera, Sera", which she performed in Alfred Hitchcock's American remake of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" in 1956. That song was later covered by Sly & the Family Stone in a rock-soul format, and even later again, used over the opening credits of the cult teen comedy, "Heathers". "Calamity Jane" from 1953 saw a spunky Doris Day play opposite Howard Keel, while another musical smash, "The Pajama Game" from 1957, saw her become a spokesperson for workers' rights (!) in between all the bright and cheerful song and dance numbers. As the sixties rolled on, she struck gold again with a trio of romantic comedies together with co-star Rock Hudson. "Pillow Talk" has endured, and I will show it to my parents for our next family matinee on Sunday, in memory of a real icon of pop culture. RIP Doris Day

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jeemo

Re: Doris Day RIP

Postby Jeemo » 13 May 2019, 16:41

So glad that cut n paste is still alive and working today.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2019, 16:50

I go to the trouble of writing a personal obit, and I get this. :(
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 13 May 2019, 17:21

played a mean boogie woogie piano too.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 13 May 2019, 17:46

GoogaMooga wrote:I go to the trouble of writing a personal obit, and I get this. :(

for goodness sake man, it was a fucking joke. I'll go back to not commenting.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2019, 19:49

Jeemo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I go to the trouble of writing a personal obit, and I get this. :(

for goodness sake man, it was a fucking joke. I'll go back to not commenting.

Okay, Jeemo, fair enough, but it was hard to tell right there. As for Doris Day, for a moment I thought, should I mention Terry Melcher, but then I decided just to focus on Doris Day and her career. I did buy her last album, recorded only a few years back. Three of the songs on there were written by Terry and his one-time collaborator, Bruce Johnston.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 May 2019, 20:37

"Sentimental Journey" notwithstanding, I always kinda blew her off - you know, the squeaky clean image (famous Oscar Levant quip: "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin"), all those movies... (In truth, I have to date only attempted to watch one of her movies - The Glass-Bottom Boat. I bailed after a half-hour or so.)

Spending a lot of time with my dad in the last couple of years, I've been listening to a lot more music from "his era", on satellite radio. That includes a lot of Doris Day hits. One day I said to Dad, "You know, I always wrote her off, but hearing her now I realize she was actually a really good singer!" And he said "I was just thinking the same thing!"

RIP, Doris.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 13 May 2019, 21:36

One of the genuinely great stars, and one of the best singers ever.