Eno-Apollo gets an update

Do talk back
never/ever

Eno-Apollo gets an update

Postby never/ever » 10 May 2019, 14:10

https://pitchfork.com/news/brian-eno-an ... new-music/

As much as people love Eno's well-constructed art rock, for me the best parts are still in his more intensive ambient-albums. Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks was one of the albums I returned to many a time. It certainly augmented the good Al Reinert-movie For All Mankind.
This reissue comes with new recordings that give a new perspective on this classic. Really like this preview.

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Six String

Re: Eno-Apollo gets an update

Postby Six String » 10 May 2019, 17:52

It's one of my favorite ambient albums by Eno et. al. and I don't have a digital version so I'll pick this one up. I've come close to buying a cd version a few times over the last four or five years but didn't and now I'm glad I waited.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 10 May 2019, 18:48

Apollo is indeed one of the best Eno albums.
But I’m tiring of all these ‘Music inspired by ...’ second discs. It really is just an attempt to flog new material using the prestige of past glories. I mean, that clip is nice enough, but it just sounds like a poor approximation of something from Apollo. Actually that’s being generous, it sounds like a track from one of those outtake albums Eno released 20 years ago. I bet he just went back to his archive and selected a handful of tracks that bore a resemblance to Apollo.
Minimal effort - maximum profit.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 10 May 2019, 22:50

I played the album yesterday (is everyone from the "now playing" group on facebook from BCB? - i posted it one there anyway.......going away from my point,) and it sounded superb. Mine is the old cd version - always loved An Ending and Deep Blue so a new version i am in for.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 May 2019, 07:23

Nervous Ned wrote:Apollo is indeed one of the best Eno albums.
But I’m tiring of all these ‘Music inspired by ...’ second discs. It really is just an attempt to flog new material using the prestige of past glories. I mean, that clip is nice enough, but it just sounds like a poor approximation of something from Apollo. Actually that’s being generous, it sounds like a track from one of those outtake albums Eno released 20 years ago. I bet he just went back to his archive and selected a handful of tracks that bore a resemblance to Apollo.
Minimal effort - maximum profit.

Well, not really!
"The 11 new tracks see Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno working together for the first time since the original album. Lanois contributed three compositions: Capsule, Last Step From The Surface and Fine-grained, while Roger Eno’s are Waking Up, Under The Moon and Strange Quiet."
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 11 May 2019, 11:59

I don’t really see why my comments are contradicted by the PR blurb ... if you believe that in the first place! In any case the track sounds very late 90’s Eno which is not a good thing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 May 2019, 15:59

Brian Eno Live at the Apollo?! Oh, man, I can't see that going over well.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 12 May 2019, 14:35

Nervous Ned wrote:I don’t really see why my comments are contradicted by the PR blurb ... if you believe that in the first place! In any case the track sounds very late 90’s Eno which is not a good thing.

I read it as you were not aware of the fact that they got together and recorded new pieces!
And why would you not believe it?
Its not like they agree to a lie, "lets just say we done some new work"

If its of any value, or good as the old stuff, remains to see!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!