Early R.E.M. is rubbish, too

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Early R.E.M. is rubbish, too

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2019, 08:46

I thought I'd give the early stuff a go, so I picked up a comp called The Best of REM, a 16 tracker covering the IRS years. That's when they were critics' darlings and staples on college radio. But no, it's just as rubbish as the later stuff. You can hear "Shiny Happy People" gestating in those songs. So off it goes to Accord. I'll just keep my two singles, "Religion" and "Kenneth", all the REM I'll ever need.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Re: Early R.E.M. is rubbish, too

Postby robertff » 06 May 2019, 10:48

GoogaMooga wrote:I thought I'd give the early stuff a go, so I picked up a comp called The Best of REM, a 16 tracker covering the IRS years. That's when they were critics' darlings and staples on college radio. But no, it's just as rubbish as the later stuff. You can hear "Shiny Happy People" gestating in those songs. So off it goes to Accord. I'll just keep my two singles, "Religion" and "Kenneth", all the REM I'll ever need.

Can't help but disagree to the utmost but if that's what you think, that's what you think.

borofan

Postby borofan » 06 May 2019, 16:05

You silly, twisted boy...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 May 2019, 16:24

You know you can listen to things on youtube first, without wasting your money on CDs.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 May 2019, 23:13

Matt Wilson wrote:You know you can listen to things on youtube first, without wasting your money on CDs.

It's rare that I test on youtube first. My thrift and flea scores are here and now purchases. At the low prices I pay, I have to buy immediately.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 08 May 2019, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 May 2019, 01:11

Nah, it's your taste that's fly-blown rubbish. But enjoy!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 May 2019, 02:39

fange wrote:Nah, it's your taste that's fly-blown rubbish. But enjoy!

Okay, what's so good about early REM, or any REM, for that matter? It sounds dead boring.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 May 2019, 02:48

Well, the compilation you mention has some of their most-loved singles, a quite eclectic mix of pop, indie and even country elements that i and many fans of this period of the band love. 'Rockville', 'Driver 8', 'Radio free Europe', 'The One I Love', 'So. Central Rain', etc. Lovely music.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 May 2019, 03:05

fange wrote:Well, the compilation you mention has some of their most-loved singles, a quite eclectic mix of pop, indie and even country elements that i and many fans of this period of the band love. 'Rockville', 'Driver 8', 'Radio free Europe', 'The One I Love', 'So. Central Rain', etc. Lovely music.

Love pop, love country - it's the indie bit that I am having trouble with. ;)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 08 May 2019, 15:43

GoogaMooga wrote:Love pop, love country - it's the indie bit that I am having trouble with

Indie doesn't mean anything, its just a bullshit label critics and journalists put on guitar bands.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 May 2019, 17:48

Mike Boom wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Love pop, love country - it's the indie bit that I am having trouble with

Indie doesn't mean anything, its just a bullshit label critics and journalists put on guitar bands.

I disagree. Indie can have unfortunate associations to all attitude, lazy songwriting - just think of the old "indie landfill" joke. It's not that indie is bereft of melody, it's more that the melodies are so unremarkable, they wouldn't have had a prayer in the golden age of radio charts. They are not something you'd hear coming out of the Brill Building, for instance. Of course, there is good indie out there, I own a fair bit myself, but it's an area where I find I have to proceed with caution.