Prince: Originals

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Prince: Originals

Postby Muskrat » 26 Apr 2019, 05:15

Hoo, boy!

Prince will forever be remembered as a commanding live performer, chart-topping recording artist, and music business revolutionary. Yet for all the time he spent in the spotlight over his four-decade-long career, Prince also worked tirelessly behind the scenes to nurture talent and pen songs for the rising artists he respected.

By the mid-1980s, Prince was dominating the charts even as a writer/producer with songs he’d composed and recorded for others. In addition to releasing nine of his most commercially successful full-length albums, he also wrote and recorded endless reels of material for protégés The Time, Vanity 6, Sheila E., Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, the Family, and Mazarati. Occasionally, Prince’s original demo recordings would be used as master takes on their albums, with only minor alterations to the instrumentation and a replacement of the vocal tracks. Other times, artists would rely on his demos to guide them through their own recording process, with Prince’s initial take informing their final version of his song. The aggregate effect was a complete saturation and transformation of the pop music landscape, with Prince both leading and subverting mainstream culture.

Originals pulls back the curtain to reveal the origins of familiar hits, in addition to deeper album cuts such as Vanity 6’s “Make-Up,” Jill Jones’s “Baby, You’re a Trip,” and Kenny Rogers’ “You’re My Love.” The album also features Prince’s majestic original 1984 version of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” released in 2018 as a standalone single.

Track Listing:

Sex Shooter
Jungle Love
Manic Monday
Noon Rendezvous
Make-Up
100 MPH
You're My Love
Holly Rock
Baby, You’re a Trip
The Glamorous Life
Gigolos Get Lonely Too
Love… Thy Will Be Done
Dear Michaelangelo
Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me?
Nothing Compares 2 U
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Prince: Originals

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2019, 05:36

I already ordered mine. That could be very interesting. It could also be an almost total waste of time.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Apr 2019, 11:30

It sounds more like a bonus disc than a separate release.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Apr 2019, 11:50

The Prince estate is really making the most of it.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Apr 2019, 03:00

There are maybe 3 excellent tracks on that (Sex Shooter, Manic Monday, Glamorous Life) and the rest are ok to filler. And where the hell is 'Nasty Girl'?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Apr 2019, 00:48

I think 100mph is one of his best outtakes. I'll certainly pick this up.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”