That Little Steven, eh?

Do talk back
User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37513
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2019, 20:21

More talented than his Boss, especially in the latter's later days.

Great guitarist (do they really need Lofgren in the E-Street band?), great producer and arranger (Southside Johnny take a bow).

Waited far too long before giving us his first solo LP 'Men without women' probably the best record to come out of that whole Springsteen clique.

But I take you're not interested in a true hero just because he didn't become a world star.

So be it.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2019, 21:18

The only thing out of the E Street-Springsteen camp that I will go anywhere near, is the Ronnie Spector-Gary US Bonds stuff. Maybe I am missing something with regard to Little Steven, but all I know about him is that he didn't play Sun City.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 20 Apr 2019, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16117
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Apr 2019, 22:18

I saw the Disciples of soul open for U2 in 87, they made utterly no impression.

Unlike U2 who were actively annoying that night.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68315
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2019, 08:30

Having seen Springsteen live five times in the past 15 years or so, I'm afraid I have to inform you all that the idea that Stevie is 'more talented than his boss' is patently absurd. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but.... there's a reason Bruce takes virtually all the solos (and the ones he doesn't tend to go to Nils), sings everything and writes everything too. And it's not because Steve Van Zandt is more talented than he is.
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 30025
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby andymacandy » 20 Apr 2019, 17:46

Diamond Dog wrote:Having seen Springsteen live five times in the past 15 years or so, I'm afraid I have to inform you all that the idea that Stevie is 'more talented than his boss' is patently absurd. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but.... there's a reason Bruce takes virtually all the solos (and the ones he doesn't tend to go to Nils), sings everything and writes everything too. And it's not because Steve Van Zandt is more talented than he is.

If you watch the video documentary that came withThe Promise set, you see that Springsteen valued Van Zandt as a producer, as he couldn't quite get the sound he was looking for. Van Zandt is a great musical director and band leader in his own right, and the recent Soulfire Live album is brilliant. Full of old school rabble rousing r&b.I think Springsteen can do it all by himself, but loves having these guys around him. Van Zandt earns his keep,as does Nils.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68315
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2019, 18:26

I'm not doubting he does. But I don't believe for one second that he is "more talented than his boss" as the opening post proclaims.
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29894
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Apr 2019, 16:01

But.... but he was in The Sopranos!

User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3219
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby borofan » 29 Apr 2019, 17:49

Matt Wilson wrote:But.... but he was in The Sopranos!

Yes, and his toupee gave a much better performance than he did...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10162
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Neil Jung » 30 Apr 2019, 20:43

Diamond Dog wrote:Having seen Springsteen live five times in the past 15 years or so, I'm afraid I have to inform you all that the idea that Stevie is 'more talented than his boss' is patently absurd. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but.... there's a reason Bruce takes virtually all the solos (and the ones he doesn't tend to go to Nils), sings everything and writes everything too. And it's not because Steve Van Zandt is more talented than he is.


Nils is a much better guitarist than Bruce. So why does Bruce play most of the solos? (I know the answer to this...)
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68315
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 May 2019, 10:48

Neil Jung wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Having seen Springsteen live five times in the past 15 years or so, I'm afraid I have to inform you all that the idea that Stevie is 'more talented than his boss' is patently absurd. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but.... there's a reason Bruce takes virtually all the solos (and the ones he doesn't tend to go to Nils), sings everything and writes everything too. And it's not because Steve Van Zandt is more talented than he is.


Nils is a much better guitarist than Bruce. So why does Bruce play most of the solos? (I know the answer to this...)


Actually... there is a bit more to this than may first appear obvious... As Bruce writes it all, and is then involved in the demos etc, he plays the solo he feels right for the song originally. I remember an interview when they asked Nils & Stevie about this and they both said (words to the effect of) "well they're his songs... he plays the solo because he hears it that way". Didn't Stevie originally take some of the solos live up until leaving in the mid 80's?

This doesn't in any way detract from your point that Nils is the 'better' guitarist, by the way!
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

User avatar
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies
Posts: 10162
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:36
Location: In the deepest ocean, bottom of the sea

Re: That Little Steven, eh?

Postby Neil Jung » 01 May 2019, 13:54

My favourite Nils solo on Bruce’s songs is the live in NYC version of Youngstown, which of course started as an acoustic song on Tom Joad. Presumably Bruce felt he could let Nils have a go at that one!
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.