Eddie And The Hot Rods Last Show - Done Everything We Wanna Do

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Eddie And The Hot Rods Last Show - Done Everything We Wanna Do

Postby LMG » 19 Apr 2019, 08:04

Eddie and the Hot Rods played a special show in London on Saturday 13th April in celebration of the band's career and to mark the decision to cease activity as a touring band. While there may be one-off appearances in future, 2019 sees the end of the band's road days due primarily to health issues faced by frontman (and sole surviving original member) Barrie Masters.

They will always have a special place in my heart because when I visited the UK aged 16, their single 'I Might Be Lying' was the first vaguely 'punk rock' record I bought. I remember how nervous I was giving it a first spin, since I was a confirmed Genesis/Yes/Jethro Tull fan. I could accept having wasted my money on a battered 45 from a boot fair, but having to throw out all my favourite albums if I liked it?

You can probably tell what happened...

Two years later, in 1979 I moved to Britain and saw the Eddie and the Hot Rods/Members tour, it was the first live show I saw here. That was 40 years ago almost to the month. There were photos celebrating that tour in the foyer of the Academy on the night.

The show was at the O2 Academy in Islington, appropriately enough since the venue was one of the locations for the many attempts to revive The Marquee club in London earlier this century. The Marquee played a key role in the early success of the band, as explained by Barrie Masters during the show - in 1976 the Rods were in a friendly rivalry with AC/DC to break each other’s capacity attendance records at the venue.

As well as the last line-up which toured under the name of Eddie and the Hot Rods, the show featured many special guests who were associated with the band, or just musical friends the Rods made in the band's decades of touring. For fans the show featured a dream-come-true reunion of the surviving members of the classic line-up which made the second and third albums: Barrie Masters, Paul Gray, Steve Nicol, and Graeme Douglas.

Sadly the last time they were all together on stage was in tribute to founding member Dave Higgs passed away in 2013. There were several declarations from the stage of his importance to the band - much of the band's early material was written by him. Richard Holgarth from a later Hot Rods line-up stepped in on guitar to accompany Graeme Douglas for those twin guitar workouts.

The extended show featured a filmed presentation by Barrie Masters made in honour of the event, and was paused after a song was discussed while the band played that or a related song. The screen then showed an album sleeve or single cover related to the live performance. This worked really well, and after a while the film teased audience expectations, such as when the first (title) track from the Rods' fourth album Fish and Chips was played, but then the band broke into the third song from that album, a cover of the Young Rascals 'You Better Run'.

The 21st century Hot Rods line-up played a handful of tracks from later albums Been There Done That and Better Late Than Never, and opened the show with a storming version of the first track on the band's debut Teenage Depression 'Get Across To You', soon followed by both sides of early single 'I Might Be Lying'/'Ignore Them (Always Crashing In The Same Bar').

The more recent Hot Rods members were augmented by members of fellow British R'n'B legends Nine Below Zero Dennis Greaves and Mark Feltham for some classic covers. Greaves and Feltham occupied the stage alone for a brief unplugged interlude prior to the Hot Rods original members appearing.

That line-up played a selection from the classic second album Life on the Line, recalling fondly the role of Dave Higgs in the band before a storming version of the 1979 live set closer 'Beginning of the End'.

Surprise guests during the course of the evening included JC Carroll of the Members, who told the story of how his band toured as opening act for the Rods, but then had the bad grace to get a UK hit single during the course of the tour, 'Sound of the Suburbs', which he performed solo with guitar.

Raucous cheering greeted Captain Sensible of the Damned, who sang the Hot Rods debut single 'Writing On The Wall' from a lyric sheet under a photo of the rare 'misprint' of his band's debut album which featured a photo of the original Hot Rods line-up. Ironically, Hot Rod Paul Gray would later join the Damned a few years later. He recorded and toured with the Captain in a project called the Sensible Gray Cells, and has been touring and recording with the Damned in recent years.

Original member Lew Lewis also made several appearances, adding his trademark harmonica to take the Hot Rods away from pop/new wave/hard rock back to their R’n’B roots.

The evening flew by and it looked like the end as everyone in the Academy sang along to the UK top ten single 'Do Anything You Wanna Do'. There were more than a few tears at the realisation that while there may be future one-off live appearances by Eddie and the Hot Rods, the band is nearing the end of a career that started in the mid-1970s and has thrilled countless fans and converts since.

Another encore came in the form of a ramshackle but spirited version of 'Gloria', the audience encouraged to belt out the chorus with the band.

Then it was all over, an event announced last year and anticipated by fans since. The title of the show? - 'Done Everything We Wanna Do'

The End? Certainly The Beginning of the End.

*sniff*
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Eddie And The Hot Rods Last Show - Done Everything We Wanna Do

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2019, 08:45

Great stuff!!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 19 Apr 2019, 10:03

That write-up made me order the still ultra-cheap Island Years box after all...
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Apr 2019, 10:15

Nice.

We used to travel over to The Nashville in West Kensington to see them back in my salad days. Every show was a momentous blast.
Good times.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2019, 10:41

Neige wrote:That write-up made me order the still ultra-cheap Island Years box after all...

You won't regret it.

And now for that Mott the Hoople box...
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 19 Apr 2019, 17:53

It's strange that the band billed this as their final ever show, when they're the support act on at least 4 dates with Stiff Little Fingers. These include a gig in Aylesbury to mark the 50th anniversary of the Friars Club.

There will be a ruck if the Rods don't play a farewell show here in Southend or on Canvey Island!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Apr 2019, 22:23

That sounds fantastic. Wish I'd seen them.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 19 Apr 2019, 23:19

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Apr 2019, 06:49

The act's a blind spot here, but that's a sweet write-up.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Apr 2019, 15:30

I’ve never given a second thought to the Hot Rods, but reading this thread filled me with glee, I must say!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 25 Apr 2019, 20:33

Purgatory Brite wrote:It's strange that the band billed this as their final ever show, when they're the support act on at least 4 dates with Stiff Little Fingers. These include a gig in Aylesbury to mark the 50th anniversary of the Friars Club.

There will be a ruck if the Rods don't play a farewell show here in Southend or on Canvey Island!

To be fair, the band never billed it as the last show - that was just my sensational headline. It was talked about as an event with a lot of guests celebrating the band at a time when by necessity they are not going to be touring any more. And long after the show was announced the opportunity to tour with Stiff Little Fingers came up.

The full set list is up now:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eddie-an ... 31d9f.html

Until I read that I had no idea that the fellow singing 'The Kid's Are Alright' was in fact Kid Reid, bass player for punk stalwarts The Boys, of 'Brickfield Nights' fame.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 02 Oct 2019, 21:01

Well, not the last show - but very nearly.

Very glad I went.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2019, 21:44

Was thinkin of this review when i saw the news. I am glad that happened, and that you got to see it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”