Greece

Do talk back
User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18131
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Greece

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Apr 2019, 14:07

I always like it when Vangelis goes a little Greek on his compositions. He's done whole albums of Greek songs with Irene Papas too.



User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39268
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: trying to get over

Re: Greece

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Apr 2019, 15:04

fange wrote:


:o
I just got that record a month or so ago. I guess I should listen to it!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17603
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Greece

Postby pcqgod » 11 Apr 2019, 04:37

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5700
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Greece

Postby algroth » 12 Apr 2019, 15:00

Surprisingly I've not heard much from Greece outside the usual exports like Vangelis, Irene Papas, Nana Mouskori, Maria Callas, Iannis Xenakis et al. I like all of these to varying extents. A lesser-known artist (I guess) that I do love, however, would be Manos Hadjidakis:


User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47164
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Greece

Postby Quaco » 12 Apr 2019, 17:03

I hate to make Kaspar feel bad, but I am a genuine fan of Demis Roussos and Aphrodite's Child. I do have a soft spot for Eurovision and all that '70s universal pop, but I have always felt he stands above that. He has a quavering voice that is strange but also capable of soaring. He's got a lot of great songs, not just the hits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9053
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Greece

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Apr 2019, 17:11

algroth wrote:Surprisingly I've not heard much from Greece outside the usual exports like Vangelis, Irene Papas, Nana Mouskori, Maria Callas, Iannis Xenakis et al. I like all of these to varying extents. A lesser-known artist (I guess) that I do love, however, would be Manos Hadjidakis:


That's not a lesser known artist man! In Greece he's the most famous one. Also my hometown's only claim to fame.
I run out of talent

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9053
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Greece

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Apr 2019, 17:12

Quaco wrote:I hate to make Kaspar feel bad, but I am a genuine fan of Demis Roussos and Aphrodite's Child. I do have a soft spot for Eurovision and all that '70s universal pop, but I have always felt he stands above that. He has a quavering voice that is strange but also capable of soaring. He's got a lot of great songs, not just the hits.

The best thing I can say about him is that my dad likes him.
I run out of talent

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47164
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Greece

Postby Quaco » 12 Apr 2019, 17:17

WG Kaspar wrote:
Quaco wrote:I hate to make Kaspar feel bad, but I am a genuine fan of Demis Roussos and Aphrodite's Child. I do have a soft spot for Eurovision and all that '70s universal pop, but I have always felt he stands above that. He has a quavering voice that is strange but also capable of soaring. He's got a lot of great songs, not just the hits.

The best thing I can say about him is that my dad likes him.

That's pretty nice!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5700
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Greece

Postby algroth » 12 Apr 2019, 17:59

WG Kaspar wrote:
algroth wrote:Surprisingly I've not heard much from Greece outside the usual exports like Vangelis, Irene Papas, Nana Mouskori, Maria Callas, Iannis Xenakis et al. I like all of these to varying extents. A lesser-known artist (I guess) that I do love, however, would be Manos Hadjidakis:


That's not a lesser known artist man! In Greece he's the most famous one. Also my hometown's only claim to fame.


I mean for the foreign audience. I assumed he was well-known in Greece! :)

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9053
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Greece

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Apr 2019, 19:02

Well I always assumed that people know Never On Sunday as well as Zorba
I run out of talent

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17216
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Greece

Postby clive gash » 12 Apr 2019, 19:28

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...