RIP Shawn Smith

Do talk back
Jumper K

RIP Shawn Smith

Postby Jumper K » 07 Apr 2019, 08:43

I wanted to mark the passing of a personal hero and amazing human being. 53 is no age and I truly believe that there was so much more to come from him. I had the pleasure of meeting him on occasion and he was, gentle, engaging and always interested in what his fans had to say and in sharing his experience with us.
I urge you to check out his work if you are not familiar. From Brad to Pigeonhed, Satchel, multiple collaborations and the stellar solo albums, his legacy will live on.

Pool Hall Richard

Re: RIP Shawn Smith

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 07 Apr 2019, 19:37

Very sad to hear this.

I've had Brad's Shame since the mid-90's, loved 20th Century and bought a second hand copy on the strength of that, a superb album that I've played many times yet I never really though to seek out his other work. I should rectify this. Any recommendations?

This from the Shame album is superb.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Apr 2019, 21:13

His first solo album Let It All Begin is a thing of beauty. Shield of Thorns and The Diamond Hand are pretty much perfect. I’m a big fan of The Full Sentence by Pigeonhed and EDC by Satchel. You must get Brad’s Interiors but United We Stand is not very good IMO. There is a lot of stuff on Bandcamp if it’s still available.

backwards7

Postby backwards7 » 07 Apr 2019, 22:41

I first ran into Pigeonhed on the Sub Pop records sampler 'Lutz R. Mastmeyer : Sub Pop employee of the month'. I bought their first album in Tower Records, Piccadilly and I remember it costing me a lot of money - like £17 or something ridiculous.

I was more a fan of Shawn's voice than his material if that makes sense. I have the two pidgeonhed albums and Let it All Begin; there's something about the production or the mixing on those records that prevents me from outright loving them.

None-the-less he was a great vocal talent.