Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Do talk back
User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3514
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Mar 2019, 15:38

A thread to post your fave shoegaze tracks


User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 13884
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Sneelock » 29 Mar 2019, 17:17

I know this band always ended up being called "shoegazers" when people wrote about them.
I can't find the remix which I prefer but I think this is a great track anyway.
uggy poopy doody.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3514
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Mar 2019, 20:52

Sneelock wrote:I know this band always ended up being called "shoegazers" when people wrote about them.
I can't find the remix which I prefer but I think this is a great track anyway.


Nice, hadn't heard that before. I like the bass line - I love the droning guitar aspect to a lot of shoegaze type bands, it often allows the drums and bass to carry the melody in a lot of ways.

Another fave

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3846
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Mar 2019, 21:52

Saw Slowdive at the glamorous Slough Festival in '91. Always loved this track, have since gone back and bought the rest of their albums, as a 19 year old at the time i soon dumped them for the Smashing Pumpkins and britpop. Great band.

Last edited by Pool Hall Richard on 29 Mar 2019, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 7394
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Mar 2019, 21:55

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3846
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Mar 2019, 21:58

I could pick any from a bunch of Lush tracks but this is superb. Cheap video on a budget always helps too.


User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44496
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Dr. Baron » 29 Mar 2019, 22:59

Post hoc American Shoegaze . . . The whole Selected ep is the balls


Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12749
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Geezee » 29 Mar 2019, 23:21

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Saw Slowdive at the glamorous Slough Festival in '91. Always loved this track, have since gone back and bought the rest of their albums, as a 19 year old at the time i soon dumped them for the Smashing Pumpkins and britpop. Great band.



Worth checking them out still - saw them open for War on Drugs last year and they were great.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 25359
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby never/ever » 30 Mar 2019, 09:55

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 25359
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby never/ever » 30 Mar 2019, 10:55

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 25359
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby never/ever » 30 Mar 2019, 11:12

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44496
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Dr. Baron » 30 Mar 2019, 14:40

More American stuff . . .



And on the edges of the scene . . . everything seemed to be touched by Loveless for a few years, including Bob Mould.



And Sixteen Deluxe's shows were way more MBVish than this record, but it's their only memorable record.

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby C » 30 Mar 2019, 16:09








.
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 62367
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby C » 30 Mar 2019, 16:11

Still Baron wrote:




I love Bob




x
C wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: ooooff

(sp)

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3514
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Mar 2019, 20:39

Loving that Swirlies track - how the drums double up at the end, and am a big Pale Saints fan, In Ribbons especially.



The whole Mezcal Head album is pretty much sonically perfect to me.
Last edited by Mike Boom on 30 Mar 2019, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3846
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Mar 2019, 20:46

Geezee wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Saw Slowdive at the glamorous Slough Festival in '91. Always loved this track, have since gone back and bought the rest of their albums, as a 19 year old at the time i soon dumped them for the Smashing Pumpkins and britpop. Great band.



Worth checking them out still - saw them open for War on Drugs last year and they were great.


Yep,i got their reunion album, its very good.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3514
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Apr 2021, 23:37


User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3514
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Apr 2021, 00:42

Not a particularly shoegazey track of theirs but I am obsessed with this Lilys track from the Recollection album



"....And you can’t come to Hunting Park without getting married to the wind and the rain and the dark."

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18518
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby pcqgod » 06 Apr 2021, 03:30




Alcest. This band is more associated with metal than other bands posted on this thread, but it's basically shoegaze in every respect. And quite beautiful.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44496
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Shoegaze - The Thread That Celebrates Itself

Postby Dr. Baron » 06 Apr 2021, 03:59

Mike Boom wrote:Not a particularly shoegazey track of theirs but I am obsessed with this Lilys track from the Recollection album



"....And you can’t come to Hunting Park without getting married to the wind and the rain and the dark."


Man, the LIlys have so many winners.

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.