Rate C, S, N & Y individually

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Rate C, S, N & Y individually

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2019, 11:18

I am grooving to the Stephen Stills box set, "Carry On". It's got a big "S" on the spine, and you are supposed to form the name, "CSN", when you have bought all three of the individual career retrospectives, "CSN". I might just stop after "S", for Nash is the least interesting of the three. I rate them in the order they are billed, Crosby, then Stills, and finally, Nash. On a good day we can put Neil way up ahead of the other guys.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 28 Mar 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Re: Rate C, S, N & Y individually

Postby C » 28 Mar 2019, 12:24

Have you heard Nash's Songs for Beginners - it is superb

Solarskope wrote:Initiate of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn with dark occult powers

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2019, 12:30

C wrote:Have you heard Nash's Songs for Beginners - it is superb

I think so, a long time ago. If it's got Teach Your Children on it, that is pretty good.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 28 Mar 2019, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Mar 2019, 13:25

No, "Teach Your Children" is a CSN&Y song from Deja Vu. Songs for Beginners is well worth your time though, Wild Tales is pretty good as well, as are the three LPs he made with Crosby in the '70s.

My ranking:

Young
Stills
Crosby
Nash

Though those last two might be interchangeable.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 28 Mar 2019, 14:47

Young - some exceptional albums and songs
Crosby - some very good albums
Nash - dull and mediocre
Stills - very poor output from a talented musician

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 28 Mar 2019, 15:43

Purgatory Brite wrote:Young - some exceptional albums and songs
Crosby - some very good albums
Nash - dull and mediocre
Stills - very poor output from a talented musician

Agreed, but Stills was great until Manassas 2 and then spirals into adequacy

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 28 Mar 2019, 15:58

Nash is underrated, both Songs for Beginners and Wild Tales are exceptional albums - not as good as Crosby tho.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Mar 2019, 17:33

I've got the first two Crosby-Nash albums and like those. The third one by the duo,which came much later, is not much cop.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2019, 17:46

GoogaMooga wrote:
C wrote:Have you heard Nash's Songs for Beginners - it is superb

I think so, a long time ago. If it's got Teach Your Children on it, that is pretty good.

No. Teach your Children is on the CSNY album Deja vu

Solarskope wrote:Initiate of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn with dark occult powers

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Mar 2019, 17:49

Solo wise Neil blows the other three away.

If we are counting everything but CSN&Y stuff then Stills is my answer for second followed by Crosby and Nash.
All four have excellent stuff away from the band agree with others Songs for Beginners and Wild Tales are good albums.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2019, 18:02

For five or so years Stephen Stills was the coolest person on the planet.

Stephen Stills, SS2 and Manassas are absolutely superb - top notch.

The second Manassas album - Down the Road had its moments too as did the next one - Illegal Stills.

There is also a delightful live album slotted in there too - the only criticism of that is that it is too short!

Then the drugs took hold and it was downhill from there.

It was a shame - he had so much to offer.

Crosby's debut If Only is a gem and Nash's first two, as has previously been pointed out are very good - Songs for Beginners is a corker.

Then there's Neil - a massive catalogue of many albums of stunning quality.

The 70s albums (I'll include Everybody Knows from 1969) are stunningly robust. An incredible run of nine studio albums)
The 80s were a bit patchy but normal service was resumed in 1989 with Freedom - a corker.
The 90s were very good culminating with variability in the 00s and 10s.
The last decade have contained some great stuff namely Le Noise and Psychedelic Pill.

And if that wasn't enough some wonderful live albums and live albums from the archive series (from the latter: Live at Fillmore and Live at Massey being my faves) - stunning

So, who has done the best/produced the best then it's Neil

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Mar 2019, 19:00

C: 5
S: 7
N: 5
Y: 9
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2019, 19:33

bobzilla77 wrote:C: 5
S: 7
N: 5
Y: 9

That's about right Bob

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Mar 2019, 19:39

C wrote: The second Manassas album - Down the Road had its moments too as did the next one - Illegal Stills.

The next album after Down the Road was Stills in '75. Illegal Stills was '76.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2019, 19:45

Matt Wilson wrote:
C wrote: The second Manassas album - Down the Road had its moments too as did the next one - Illegal Stills.

Damn! Good lad!

I knew I missed one out - the memory isn't what it was.

Stills has some good stuff too

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 29 Mar 2019, 00:17

Y
S
N
(then after a long drop)
C
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Mar 2019, 04:11

C wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

Damn! Good lad!

I knew I missed one out - the memory isn't what it was.

Stills has some good stuff too

Pedantism.

The only thing which justifies my existence these days.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Mar 2019, 07:53

Matt Wilson wrote:
Pedantism.

The only thing which justifies my existence these days.

No my dear learned friend.

No, not at all.

My exclusion was unforgiveable

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 29 Mar 2019, 11:15

Stills - his first solo album is so great!
Young - Neil Young. C'mon.
Nash - Fey but fine
Crosby - Stoned noodler and the noodles are limp.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Mar 2019, 15:45

For years I would've ranked Stills higher than Crosby (which seems to be the trend here). But every time I actually think about it, I realize how much good music Crosby has made, and how much of it (VERY much unlike the others, including Young, who's obviously way out in front) is well into their respective careers. Crosby's last few albums might even be better than Neil's last few.

As I've often said, Stills started out as a great songwriter and got worse and worse, while Young (at least for the first ten years plus) started out good and got better and better.

Basically, listen to a performance like "The Clearing" (from a mere 5 years ago) and stuff like "Almost Cut My Hair" is more forgivable. Whereas, listen to any of the crap Stills has done for - well, for the most part 40 years is an absolute minimum - and maybe stuff like "Helplessly Hoping" reminds you that even a lot of his great, classic era is pretty sappy.

Stills is a truly great musician - the best of them by far - but generally speaking it has not been in the service of good material. And Crosby is a truly underrated musician - one of the best rhythm guitarists ever, frankly - so I think he gets short-shrift.

Not only is he second, the more I think about it, the less close it gets. Stills was truly magic from '66 through maybe the first half of '68, with some undeniable moments since then - but listen to their later 70s work - even Nash is less embarrassing than Stills became. Stills was writing crap like "Fair Game" and Crosby, even in a drug haze, was doing stuff as good as "Shadow Captain."

Not to say Crosby hasn't been an embarrassment at times - hell, even Neil has - but he's pulled himself out of it multiple times. I'm not sure Stills ever has.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!