Scott Walker RIP

Do talk back
never/ever

Scott Walker RIP

Postby never/ever » 25 Mar 2019, 08:40

...passed away today.

4AD reports

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Scott Walker. Scott was 76 years old and is survived by his daughter, Lee, his granddaughter, Emmi-Lee, and his partner Beverly.

For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands, first as one third of The Walker Brothers, and later as a solo artist, producer and composer of uncompromising originality.

Scott Walker has been a unique and challenging titan at the forefront of British music: audacious and questioning, he has produced works that dare to explore human vulnerability and the godless darkness encircling it: https://4ad.com/news/959
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Scott Walker RIP

Postby Penk! » 25 Mar 2019, 08:42

Sad news.

Not a major personal hero for me the way he was for some, but I enjoyed a lot of music from both phases of his career and have a lot of respect and admiration for his singular approach and commitment to exploring his art.
Last edited by Penk! on 25 Mar 2019, 09:27, edited 2 times in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Re: Scott Walker RIP

Postby Geezee » 25 Mar 2019, 08:47

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Mar 2019, 08:48

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 25 Mar 2019, 09:18

Oh dear.

RIP

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Mar 2019, 09:27

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/mar/05/10-of-the-best-scott-walker

The Guardian have done a good job with this, which picks some of the essential songs and makes a good job of representing all his career. I won't pretend to like the last few albums, but they were an important part of what he did.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Mar 2019, 09:45

The Modernist wrote:I won't pretend to like the last few albums, but they were an important part of what he did.

Yeah, one couldn't help but admire him for that work even if one didn't care to listen to it all that much.

I was just thinking about him and his music about four hours ago, before I hit the hay. I won't attach any great cosmic significance to that fact, as it happens not-infrequently. The man was a hero, no question.

R.I.P.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Mar 2019, 09:46

"Experimental pop hero"
There are worse things to have been.
Sad news RIP Scott.
I can't claim to be a big fan but I like Soused a lot and the world is a far less interesting place without him.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

algroth

Postby algroth » 25 Mar 2019, 11:02

This makes me extremely sad. R.I.P., experimental pop hero indeed.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Mar 2019, 11:15

He's the definition of divisive, among music fans, isn't he? Rarely come across anyone who generates such extreme reactions, including on here. Put a song of his on your BCB list at your peril.

Real shame, him and Mark Hollis in such a short period of time - some really great crooners up there in space right now.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

`

Postby ` » 25 Mar 2019, 11:25

Never a massive fan of him after the four Scott albums from the late 60s and the Walker Bros reunion in the mid-70s, but you had to respect the single- (bloody-?) mindedness of his vision and how he pursued it.

RIP Mr Walker

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 25 Mar 2019, 12:20

His continuing to experiment made him seem young, which makes this a bit more jarring than some other 76-year-old's death.

I love his stuff from every period. And putting the whole career together makes a pretty astounding picture. There are the wildly different phases, from teen heartthrob to meat-whacking avant-gardist. But it's all oddly consistent. The haunted quality of the late weirdo material is already there in "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More."

He meant much more to me than, say, David Bowie. Actually the list of people he meant more to me than is extremely long.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 25 Mar 2019, 12:31

caramba wrote:Never a massive fan of him after the four Scott albums from the late 60s and the Walker Bros reunion in the mid-70s, but you had to respect the single- (bloody-?) mindedness of his vision and how he pursued it.

RIP Mr Walker

My sentiments as well. However, the voice was still magnificent .....rich, controlled and like liquid honey.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 25 Mar 2019, 12:34

George P. Smackers wrote:His continuing to experiment made him seem young, which makes this a bit more jarring than some other 76-year-old's death.

I love his stuff from every period. And putting the whole career together makes a pretty astounding picture. There are the wildly different phases, from teen heartthrob to meat-whacking avant-gardist. But it's all oddly consistent. The haunted quality of the late weirdo material is already there in "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More."

He meant much more to me than, say, David Bowie. Actually the list of people he meant more to me than is extremely long.

A fine, heartfelt tribute to Scott Walker -

since I can't put it any better, I'd simply like to say: I fully agree with mr. George P. Smackers.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Mar 2019, 12:39

I loved it all.

Thanks For Chicago Mr. Engel
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Mar 2019, 14:38

Huge loss, very sad news. We lose so many, but Scott Walker is just one who hits you very hard. He meant a lot to me, and even more to Zilth Pilchards, who can't get it weird enough. Walker Brothers had a tremendous run, and the cycle of albums, Scott 1-4, just as good. Towards the end he was just too out there for me, something like Tilt, but you gotta admire the man for his uncompromising stance. And he wrote a short, delicate song for Scott 3 called Copenhagen. For that alone, we Danes owe him a lot: ‘Copenhagen, you’re the end, gone and made me a child again’. RIP Scott Walker
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

borofan

Postby borofan » 25 Mar 2019, 17:57

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:
George P. Smackers wrote:His continuing to experiment made him seem young, which makes this a bit more jarring than some other 76-year-old's death.

A fine, heartfelt tribute to Scott Walker -

since I can't put it any better, I'd simply like to say: I fully agree with mr. George P. Smackers.

As do I.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 25 Mar 2019, 18:28

He meant a LOT more to me than David Bowie

Sad news indeed. Agree the later stuff is heavy going but I'll certainly happily listen to Climate of Hunter and Tilt
We're way past rhubarb

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 25 Mar 2019, 18:38

I'll be in L.A first week in May so I'll have a chance to discuss the genius of Scott Walker with Matt Wilson.

This may involve the use of blunt instruments.
We're way past rhubarb

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 Mar 2019, 21:54

Geezee wrote:He's the definition of divisive, among music fans, isn't he? Rarely come across anyone who generates such extreme reactions, including on here. Put a song of his on your BCB list at your peril.

Real shame, him and Mark Hollis in such a short period of time - some really great crooners up there in space right now.

I’ve enthused about his genius on here many times - his peak, for me, 1-4 and the contemporaneous likes of Archangel through Time Operator to as late as The Electrician - reaches depths of resonance few ‘pop’ artists have ever matched. Sadly, Mark Hollis is probably one you could make a case for.

Return to “Yakety Yak”