Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Do talk back
St Jeemo the Humourless

Re: Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 14 Aug 2019, 23:40

I do realise that some have superiority issues.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Aug 2019, 00:06

everybody sing!

Desmond has a barrow in the marketplace....

come on guys, don't leave me hangin'...
Jimbo wrote:BLOOMBERG 2020!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Aug 2019, 00:10

:lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Aug 2019, 03:55

Lord Rother wrote:Although I may have been over-egging it a little (by saying “most Brits”) I’m not sure you realise just how dumb the majority of Brits actually are.

(sputters:) B.b.b.but the accent!
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 15 Aug 2019, 10:31

Muskrat wrote:
Jeemo wrote: :roll:

I was making the point that Churchill's profile would've been raised by the film and Oscar for Oldman.

And I was attempting to make the point that anybody with the slightest interest in the film would already be aware of Churchill. And those who'd inadvertently stumbled in, or were dragged along by their parents, wouldn't have anything to grab hold of and take home with them. Except maybe a lobby standup of Kristen Scott Thomas in her "Clementine" outfit.

Don't know about round your way, but there's gangs of young kids dressed as 30s and 40s UK political figures such as Sir Stafford Cripps and Sir Edward Belisha Hore hanging around on street corners and hassling old folk here

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 16 Aug 2019, 01:42

Powehi wrote:
Don't know about round your way, but there's gangs of young kids dressed as 30s and 40s UK political figures such as Sir Stafford Cripps and Sir Edward Belisha Hore hanging around on street corners and hassling old folk here

:lol:
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 17 Aug 2019, 20:35

I know it's Leslie Belisha Hore not Edward. No idea who this Churchill fella is though
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Aug 2019, 03:11

Seemed like a missed opportunity to me. It had no real-life gravitas. You never got the sense that the protagonist was anything other than a character in a wacky comedy with his funny parents and requisite kooky sidekick. And Kate McKinnon plays the manager character like a 2 dimensional Saturday Night Live character. 'Life of Pi' and Boyle's own 'Slumdog Millionaire' proved that a fairytale could still be set in the real world and make you feel things other than mild amusement at goofy situations. Also, that romantic plot was so weak; the two characters are obviously perfect for each other and WE KNOW they'll be together at the end of the movie but they just endlessly dither on about whether they should kiss, take the next step in the relationship, etc.

But the worst thing was how the movie just tried to TELL you how great the Beatles were. When a Beatles song is played, characters in the movie just state matter-of-factly "That was the greatest work of art since Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel" and nonsense like that. What the movie should have done was show how good the Beatles music made (and still makes) people feel. That's the magic the movie missed. They could have done it in that scene where the protagonist encounters two other people who remembered their music and were happy to hear it again, but it was too little, too late, not good enough.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?