Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Do talk back
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Mar 2019, 19:03

Premise:

While he's still looking for his big break, musician Jack Malik gets hit by a bus during a global blackout. But when he wakes up to find he's the lone person on Earth who knows of the Beatles and their songbook, Jack has a huge chance at stardom.

:lol:

Well, what do we think?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Tactful Cactus

Re: Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Postby Tactful Cactus » 22 Mar 2019, 21:05

I've had that thought experiment many times, I wonder have most here? Its weird to see it played out onscreen. I've also thought about going back in time, hanging with the Beatles and playing songs from the future that they wouldn't know, to impress them. Trying to think of songs that would impress them from the future.

Its a bit a bit like the Flight of the Conchords sketch where they go back in time with a David Bowie chordbook and give it to him to save him time.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2019, 17:01

It looks a bit cringeworthy to be honest, like Richard Curtis gone hipster.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 22 Apr 2019, 14:25

Didn’t Nicholas Lyndhurst do this already?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 28 Apr 2019, 18:20

Salman Rushdie's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" has the concept of an alternative history of rock music, though not the time travel bit.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Aug 2019, 20:36

Anyone else see it? I went this weekend and I need to vent to people who will understand. There's not much to like I thought. It reduces the Beatles down to something very one-dimensional. Its like if their recorded output were just songs like Hey Jude, AYNIS and Let it Be. They still would have been a massive band but with very little depth.

I did like:
The songs. Even though they were re-recorded in a sort of "Busted" way, they still stood up and Im glad he didn't over sing them.

What I didn't like:
Main character Jack. I didn't engage with him. He just complained and whinged through three-quarters of the film, I wasn't rooting for him.

Lily James gets equal billing on the poster but her character is just a prop for him to find himself.

Ed Sheeran takes the piss out of himself but also takes this cringey position as a master songwriter who humbly stands aside when he realizes he's been outdone.

In summary it could have been amazing but it failed. I wanted to see more dystopia! A world that was robbed of a cultural revolution. There was no attempt to portray that, instead they showed a Beatle-less world where life seemed normal, just a few less anthems to sing in stadiums. Thats a sad tribute.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 11 Aug 2019, 20:58

It was okay, but very much borrowed from the Notting Hill format. And Ed Sheeran was in it as well: nuff said. I think it was about on a par with Rocket Man, which really annoyed me with its inaccuracies and musical set pieces, but not as good as Bohemian Rhapsody, which I surprised myself by enjoying. We’ll be going to see Blinded By The Light as well, but there will be drinks involved afterwards. The thing I most enjoyed about Yesterday was Hey Jude playing as the credits rolled.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 11 Aug 2019, 22:06

I thought it was fucking rubbish on every level.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Aug 2019, 00:05

I liked it. I thought it did a clever job of getting out of the corner it painted itself into. I like what I take the message of the film to be - life is better when you love stuff.

I could certainly live without hearing these versions of those songs again but I thought this shortcoming was sort of taken into account. I like romantic comedies & think it’s one of the best I’ve seen in quite a while.
can you prove it didn't happen?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Aug 2019, 00:53

Going back in time to hang out with the band, substitute with Beach Boys and I have had the same thoughts.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Aug 2019, 08:16

Thoroughly enjoyable.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 Aug 2019, 09:34

Jeemo wrote:I thought it was fucking rubbish on every level.

I completely agree and I haven't even seen it.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 12 Aug 2019, 15:25

GoogaMooga wrote:Going back in time to hang out with the band, substitute with Beach Boys and I have had the same thoughts.

they didn't go back in time with the band. the band didnt exist except for .......insert totally ludicrous plot here.....the end
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 12 Aug 2019, 16:42

I’m ok with the “erased from history” bit. It was necessary for plot but its not a sci-fi film either so they didn’t dwell on it and I think most people have imagined a world without the Beatles without bothering to wonder how it might happen. Maybe it would have been better if they did a “Sliding Doors” type plot where the Woolton village fete was rained out or John missed the ferry to Hamburg.

Instead of Ed, they should have had a fictional artist who was a brilliant songwriter but completely devoid of Beatle influence. It would have been really interesting to reverse engineer a great songwriter in 2019 who wasn’t a branch of the Beatle tree, to see what that would sound like, and how they would react to hearing the Beatles. That was not going to happen with Curtis at the helm, he’s just not interested. Wasted opportunity.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Aug 2019, 16:58

That would have been a different film entirely so hardly a missed opportunity. Someone else can still do that.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 12 Aug 2019, 17:30

I enjoyed it. A lot. But I like Richard Curtis’s work a lot, anyway. It was his name that drew me to see the movie.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Aug 2019, 17:36

Jeemo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Going back in time to hang out with the band, substitute with Beach Boys and I have had the same thoughts.

they didn't go back in time with the band. the band didnt exist except for .......insert totally ludicrous plot here.....the end

I was referring to the comment made by Tactful Cactus. But I have no intention to see the film.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Aug 2019, 23:29

Tactful Cactus wrote:Anyone else see it? I went this weekend and I need to vent to people who will understand. There's not much to like I thought. It reduces the Beatles down to something very one-dimensional. Its like if their recorded output were just songs like Hey Jude, AYNIS and Let it Be. They still would have been a massive band but with very little depth.

To your average person, that is all they are. Never overestimate the pop cultural sophistication of your average Brit.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Aug 2019, 23:33

I think that with the Beatles, the Brits are well aware on what magnitude of scale that band represents British culture. More than Bond, Rolls, Earl Grey tea, more than all the rest.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Aug 2019, 00:43

GoogaMooga wrote:I think that with the Beatles, the Brits are well aware on what magnitude of scale that band represents British culture. More than Bond, Rolls, Earl Grey tea, more than all the rest.

Don't believe it, most Brits under 40 are clueless about popular culture. They know they were famous, but most would struggle to name more than four songs.