John Kongos

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

John Kongos

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Mar 2019, 20:01

Alright everybody, today's chancer is John Kongos, his 1971 Elektra album "Kongos". Never heard of him before, but the back inlay said produced by Gus Dudgeon (Elton John's classic albums), and it was reissued by Collector's Choice, so what the hell, thirty pence... He is from South Africa, but based in London. Singer-songwriter stuff, some raucous, some tender, with clever and quite unusual instrumentation. I'm thinking Delaney & Bonnie at their best or that band supporting Joe Cocker on Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Memorable songs, lots of variety, and sampled by Happy Mondays in the Madchester era. Oh yes, thirty pence well spent.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 14 Mar 2019, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Sneelock

Re: John Kongos

Postby Sneelock » 13 Mar 2019, 20:40

“He’s gonna step on you again” is the jam.
I knew a guy who bought this because somebody told him it was John Lennon using a different name.
Aren’t Beatles fans adorable?
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Mar 2019, 21:43

Sneelock wrote:“He’s gonna step on you again” is the jam.
I knew a guy who bought this because somebody told him it was John Lennon using a different name.
Aren’t Beatles fans adorable?

:lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Mar 2019, 22:28

He did a great psych record called "I Wish I Was Five". I love the lavish sweep of the chorus. I used to post this track to BCB quite a lot eight or nine years ago, it's an old favourite of mine.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Mar 2019, 04:49

GoogaMooga wrote:

That's pretty good. 30p well spent. If you'd picked this for the 70s Cup you may have got some votes :D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Mar 2019, 08:21

trans-chigley express wrote:
That's pretty good. 30p well spent. If you'd picked this for the 70s Cup you may have got some votes :D

Aside from post-punk, I think I could play the BCB game to much better results. But I also look at the cup as a way to test the waters and showcase some more "personal" choices. ;)

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 14 Mar 2019, 08:36

Vaguely remember JK's releases on Fly records (iirc his label mates included T. Rex and Joe Cocker) being UK top 10 hits in the early 70s. He later underwent something of a revival when Happy Mondays rediscovered him in the early 90s. Can't really go wrong for 20 or 30p

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Mar 2019, 12:48

Yeah, excellent deal for that price. £26 cheapest deal on Amazon.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Mar 2019, 13:03

I've got that album on vinyl. My fave track from it is 'Lift Me from The Ground', which I used in a BCB Cup long ago...

(Haha! Searching youtube to post a video, the first one that came up is one I made from internet-sourced photos 9 years ago, probably for that Cup entry. I forgot about my 'Crockhouse' youtube account!)

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 14 Mar 2019, 13:49

God, not played it for ages ! Up into the attic today for a good old rummage. Will climb up with the intention of finding Kongos and come down with three live Quicksilver Messengers. I'm easily distracted. :)

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Mar 2019, 19:24

slightbreeze wrote:God, not played it for ages ! Up into the attic today for a good old rummage. Will climb up with the intention of finding Kongos and come down with three live Quicksilver Messengers. I'm easily distracted. :)

Find the Kongos, realise it's not worth a thing then send it to me.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 14 Mar 2019, 19:29

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:God, not played it for ages ! Up into the attic today for a good old rummage. Will climb up with the intention of finding Kongos and come down with three live Quicksilver Messengers. I'm easily distracted. :)

No. I'll send you the latest Dido instead :evil:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Mar 2019, 20:39

slightbreeze wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

No. I'll send you the latest Dido instead :evil:

:o :o :o