Last great Diana Ross album

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Last great Diana Ross album

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Mar 2019, 14:32

1982. Silk Electric. Warhol cover art. A bit of a stylistic hodge podge and I am not sure how many hits it spawned, but each of the 10 songs is distinct, well performed, with clever and beefy production by La Ross herself. It's often a good sign when an artist keeps it down to ten songs, no filler. I have not heard this album since the mid-80s, but it's all coming back to me now, on this CD listen. How many albums can you say that about? The personnel on this self-produced album is quite staggering, like Luther Vandross, Cissy Houston, Patti Austin, etc. - and that's just the backing vocals. Even a completely out of character rocker strangely works here. It's an album of constant surprises, and songs you'll remember. Critics say the album is overproduced, with too much echo, well, I happen to think that's part of its charm. It's easily the wackiest album of her career.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Last great Diana Ross album

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Mar 2019, 08:31

Never heard it.

Never likely to either.
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

borofan

Postby borofan » 09 Mar 2019, 17:51

Thread title infers that there is such a thing as a great Diana Ross album. Can't see that is true. Made some great singles, but a whole album? Nah.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Mar 2019, 20:48

borofan wrote:Thread title infers that there is such a thing as a great Diana Ross album. Can't see that is true. Made some great singles, but a whole album? Nah.

Possibly the Chic album would qualify. Don't much care for Friend to Friend, but there's a lot of Chic magic dust sprinkled over this offering.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Mar 2019, 22:43

Yes, "Diana" from 1980 is a perfect album, every track a winner. If that is how we define "great", there aren't many names who can muster more. If by "great" we mean eminently listenable throughout, I'd say she had a very good 1970s run. Certainly compared with some of the stuff I have heard in the 80s cup. It seems that BCB will cut post-punk a lot of slack while at the same time set impossibly high standards for more commercial pop and soul.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck