Last great Diana Ross album

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Last great Diana Ross album

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Mar 2019, 14:32

1982. Silk Electric. Warhol cover art. A bit of a stylistic hodge podge and I am not sure how many hits it spawned, but each of the 10 songs is distinct, well performed, with clever and beefy production by La Ross herself. It's often a good sign when an artist keeps it down to ten songs, no filler. I have not heard this album since the mid-80s, but it's all coming back to me now, on this CD listen. How many albums can you say that about? The personnel on this self-produced album is quite staggering, like Luther Vandross, Cissy Houston, Patti Austin, etc. - and that's just the backing vocals. Even a completely out of character rocker strangely works here. It's an album of constant surprises, and songs you'll remember. Critics say the album is overproduced, with too much echo, well, I happen to think that's part of its charm. It's easily the wackiest album of her career.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Last great Diana Ross album

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Mar 2019, 08:31

Never heard it.

Never likely to either.
"Excuse my dust."
"In the back room, Under the stars, And your ceiling is my floor"
"It put me back in my place and made me realize, yes I'm just a cunt in a clown suit."

borofan

Postby borofan » 09 Mar 2019, 17:51

Thread title infers that there is such a thing as a great Diana Ross album. Can't see that is true. Made some great singles, but a whole album? Nah.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Mar 2019, 20:48

borofan wrote:Thread title infers that there is such a thing as a great Diana Ross album. Can't see that is true. Made some great singles, but a whole album? Nah.

Possibly the Chic album would qualify. Don't much care for Friend to Friend, but there's a lot of Chic magic dust sprinkled over this offering.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Mar 2019, 22:43

Yes, "Diana" from 1980 is a perfect album, every track a winner. If that is how we define "great", there aren't many names who can muster more. If by "great" we mean eminently listenable throughout, I'd say she had a very good 1970s run. Certainly compared with some of the stuff I have heard in the 80s cup. It seems that BCB will cut post-punk a lot of slack while at the same time set impossibly high standards for more commercial pop and soul.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck