My opera cop out

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

My opera cop out

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Feb 2019, 05:12

One of my teachers back in film school, a well-respected screenwriter, ONLY liked jazz. He'd slag off all other genres, and for opera he once said that he'd rather be tied naked to the ground and have red army ants sprinkled over his body, than listen to opera. I have another way of getting round opera, I buy the overtures only. And then I've got "Carmen" in full. And a few pop albums by opera singers, yes, they do that as well.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

bobzilla77

Re: My opera cop out

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Mar 2019, 18:24

I rather enjoy going to the opera when I have the chance to do that, but I don't often sit around listening to it. The chance to experience a theatrical presentation in such elaborate fashion, with world class singers and musicians, is pretty darned impressive.

I guess that's my cop-out.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 02 Mar 2019, 17:02

I see bits on Mafia films, usually when the Don is trying to look sophisticated.

That’s enough for me.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Mar 2019, 01:44

Fonz wrote:I see bits on Mafia films, usually when the Don is trying to look sophisticated.

That’s enough for me.

:lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck