Can you still like the art if the artist is tainted?

Do talk back
Sneelock

Re: Can you still like the art if the artist is tainted?

Postby Sneelock » 28 Feb 2019, 22:41

I’ve seen and enjoyed it many times; I doubt that I’ll return to it.

The character in the film sexually assaults a woman. The charge that the woman was genuinely assaulted has to be taken into account. In the old days they’d tell a kid actor his dog died.

I think it’s imperative that we remain able to look backwards and say “Ma, that shit was fucked up” because if we don’t — who knows how fucked up people will get?
uggy poopy doody.

`

Postby ` » 01 Mar 2019, 09:48

Despite the binning of his latest album's release, the "Me-too"-related departure of his guitarist, and fan resale sites being full of no longer wanted TX for his shows Ryan Adams shows no sign of cancelling his upcoming UK tour.

GIven the way he's shat the bed when heckled by audience members in the past, be interesting to see how RA copes with the inevitable backlash against the recent allegations of sexual harassment against him. Will be even more interesting to see his reaction if "Me-too" activists start snapping up some of the unwanted seats.

`

Postby ` » 01 Mar 2019, 13:37

And he's cancelled

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Mar 2019, 01:48

C wrote:What about Elvis Presley...?

Jerry Lee Lewis?

uggy poopy doody.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 Mar 2019, 12:04

Sneelock wrote:when you watch a movie somebody might ask you if you liked it. you'll have a look inside yourself and tell them if you did or did not enjoy it. well, what if somebody told you somebody DIED making that film. you'd probably have a different reaction. which is the correct reaction?
maybe both?

Im ok with accidental death. If I found out after the fact that a film had an intentional death I'd feel sick and wipe it from memory. I've never seen Last Tango in Paris and wouldn't watch it now, but its easy for me to not watch it and its easy for me to not listen to R. Kelly. Its not the type of art that's ever appealed.

So far there's been no retro-active investigation of artists that I do love. Maybe I've chosen the music I love based partly on unconscious judge of character. The worst my favourite artists have done is still horrible, probably wife-beating, but not pedophilia, rape or murder. If it happened I'd stop listening, I don't buy music anymore but I'd revisit how I felt about them in a year. It all depends on the individual circumstances, there's a Saville spectrum.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Mar 2019, 14:44

R. Kelly wrote:“I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me! I’m fighting for my fucking life! Y’all killing me with this shit!” he yelled as he stood up, gesticulating furiously at King. “I gave you 30 years of my fucking career!”

R. Kelly in train wreck of an interview

Good on Gayle King for maintaining her cool.

:shock:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Mar 2019, 17:10

My local thrift shop had four MJ titles today. Expect more of this. I'm keeping mine. He left too big a footprint, too historically important. But his music will never sound the same. It's like losing a chunk of your youth.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Mar 2019, 16:11

Count Machuki wrote:
R. Kelly wrote:Image
:shock:

Every time I scroll down to this picture, I swear it looks like he's levitating. And that's not a cue for any "believing he can fly" puns.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Mar 2019, 18:05

Count Machuki wrote:
R. Kelly wrote:“I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me! I’m fighting for my fucking life! Y’all killing me with this shit!” he yelled as he stood up, gesticulating furiously at King. “I gave you 30 years of my fucking career!”

R. Kelly in train wreck of an interview

Good on Gayle King for maintaining her cool.

When King asked about [his two live-in girlfriends] being “much younger” than the 52-year-old Kelly, he said, “I don’t look at ‘much younger.’ I look at ‘legal.’”

Asked if he was saying that Clary and Savage’s parents handed their daughters over to him, he said, “Absolutely. Are the cameras still going? Absolutely.”

Whew, that's a relief. For a minute there I thought he might have done something wrong!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Mar 2019, 12:12

Charlie O. wrote:When King asked about [his two live-in girlfriends] being “much younger” than the 52-year-old Kelly, he said, “I don’t look at ‘much younger.’ I look at ‘legal.’”

And who can't empathise with that?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 22 Apr 2019, 14:42

Rock’n’Roll Xmas still puts me in the Christmas mood.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 07 May 2019, 20:55

With me the operative phrase is still "Shut up and play." So long as they're not constantly in my face proselytizing about something, I can ignore it all.

"That government governs best that governs least."

Return to “Yakety Yak”